Ultralight is done....now Ultracheap

16Bore

WKR
For shits and giggles. New, inexpensive, but reliable. I know more guys that go this kinda route than high end stuff.

Ruger American Rifle
Talleys
Vortex Crossfire Scope
Federal Blue Box ammo
Morakniv Knife
Vortex Diamondback Binos

Pack? Boots? Etc, etc?

Fill in the blanks....

ewade07

WKR
After slogging miles and miles in the backcountry there are 2 things I won’t skimp on: boots and packs. If your feet hurt, your miserable. If your back hurts, you’re miserable. There’s things you can skimp on but definitely not those two.

As far as skimping I usually buy my gear used. All this shit is far too expensive brand new. I don’t care if it’s been used or has some tears or other cosmetic flaws. If if works it works.

I feel personally attacked.

I killed a bull elk last month with my Savage 110, vortex diamondback hp scope, remington yellow box brass reloads. vortex diamondback binos. Walmart camo hoody. Salomon gtx boots. Walmart wrangler nylon cargo pants. I quartered the thing out with my $15 amazon morakniv. Walmart cotton game bags. Packed it out on a $150 eberlestock frame pack.

Boiled the skull in a walmart turkey fryer and did my first euro mount that's now hanging in my office at work.

EastMT

WKR
DNZ rings, base rings all in one $60 +/-

victorinox knives, $20, every shape and size

Cheapest top tier pack? Barney’s frame, bag of choice strapped on $200 used

Rifle seems the Kimber hunter with all the gel removed from the stock, can be found in the $500 range.

Burris fullfield scopes under $200

Wrangler hiking pants cheap $20

Hound dawgs 8oz camp shoes $10-15

Boots I can’t find anything under $400 retail that’s works for me

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

+1 for victornix knives.
Filbe surplus pack
Whitaker’s deal on a tikka.
ECWCS goretex in woodland or ACU camo pattern.

Dcrafton

WKR
Walmart/target wrangler hiking pants are cheap but I’ve come to really like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 degrees layer
Costco wool socks
Surplus fleece jacket and hat
Costco hiking pants
Patagonia Torrentshell
Eberlestick frame
Mora Kansbol
Irish Setter or Blauer boots
SWFA ultralight
Bushnell Bone collector
Tikka compact
Taurus Tracker 357

• Banned
OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
99% of my stuff is used. Cheap & used works too. I’m with ewade on boots & packs...although mine were used as well.

TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, and Ross are good places for merino socks. Don’t overlook the ladies section either. Sometimes they get mixed in and sometimes you find women’s XL. Yes, I’ve been known to hunt in purple socks.

Merino is merino!

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe I'm spoiled but I wouldn't use diamondbacks or similar binos ever. I feel cross eyed looking through them after about a minute.

Brendan

WKR
Knives? Buy a used / vintage, American Made Buck 110 on eBay for $10-$20. I'd rather hunt with something like that that had a little history than a new/cheap POS.

OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
I've never looked through a pair of binos more expensive than a pair of diamondbacks.....ignorance is bliss?

I had a pair of 10x42 Zeiss Classics mounted on a tripod with 10x42 Diamondbacks strapped on top. Played back and forth for quite awhile. Couldn’t see in one that I couldn’t see in the other.

Low light, the cheap Vortex ate the ass outta the Zeiss.

Cascade mountain tekking poles. Lots of miles on mine in NC, Alaska and Colorado.

Wrangler hiking pants are awesome.

Gamehide rain gear. Bought jacket/pants combo for $39.99 on sale. They handled afognak weather nicely. Wouldn't want them for 14 days in the backcountry, but for day hunts they worked.

Realtree merino hiking socks. Get the pink women's ones at Wal-Mart for half price of the men's. 88% merino.

Thermarest closed cell foam sleeping pad. I still use the one I bought in 2003. Hundreds of nights on thing. Maybe more considering I slept on it on the floor of my rental house for 3 months in 2007!

what are ya'll calling "Wrangler Hiking" pants?
and from walmart or target? are you talking about just what they call the wrangler cargo pants?