Ultralight is done....now Ultracheap

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Walking/Shooting stix.

In April, get end-of-season ski poles from a rental shop. They often have singles from lost returns for next to nothing, or out of date models for cheap. I've gotten singles for free, and scarred up older pairs for $5 - $10.

Cut one handle off and lash the cut pole to the handled one with thin cord or nylon surveyor's string. I use it for a single walking stick that I can open for shooting. Pull the tip of the cut-off one up about 3/4 inch and use the bail to snap it in place when walking.

Works best for kneeling (not during the anthem!) and with the nylon lashing I can pull them open hard to get them down to about 15 inches high for sitting.

I use my walking stick for all kinds of things - testing mud depth, pushing on brush, whacking limbs, climbing up or down steep loose, probing for snakes . . . Feels like something is missing when I hike without one.

Lots of people like two sticks (trekking poles) to assist their walking and go faster; they're not just for older folks - if I carried two I would make one or both of them double as a shooting rest.

Stix open 1.jpg

Stix lash.jpg

Stix Bail.jpg

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
BUT, you didnt skimp on your boots!

I paid $86 for my brand new Zamberlan Dakota's on Amazon back in 2013. Been using them every year since and will have them resoled when they've worn down to nothing. Love those boots. I bought another pair for $110, but they're the 10" version instead of the 7".........not quite as comfortable.

And my $20/piece Microtex and Microtex Lite on clearance........should have bought even more pants. All of my merino was less than $40/piece, and I just saw those Karbon brand LS merino shirts that Costco carries for $14.97 now. Those are a steal.

Swfa 6x at 199$

Used rifles. Or long action tikka t3 or short action blued river American with 450 bushmaster magazine. Or palmetto state stainless uppers

Junk store finds (or op shop or st vinnys or Salvation Army) for clothing

Eddie Bauer merino

Mountainsmith lt shelter

Mora 511 knife.

eBay boots

As for glass, I can’t see dropping down from meopta meostars and being stoked on the extra 300$ in the pocket.

The double black diamond down throw is great for getting another 15 degrees out of a bag.

Some stuff is disposable and therefore cheap is good, and some stuff ain’t worth skimping. Like glass ammunition to get good DOpe and zero’d.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tyvek and Fireball are pillars of cheap and functional mountain equipment.

7yJK0tl.jpg

260madman

WKR
99% of my stuff is used. Cheap & used works too. I’m with ewade on boots & packs...although mine were used as well.

TJ Maxx, Marshall’s, and Ross are good places for merino socks. Don’t overlook the ladies section either. Sometimes they get mixed in and sometimes you find women’s XL. Yes, I’ve been known to hunt in purple socks.

Merino is merino!

It’s 2019. We’re not supposed to judge cuz then we’re raciss cis lords. You be you, purple socks and all.🤪

3forks

WKR
Can’t believe no one has mentioned the BRS-3000T stove.

It’s both light and cheap (.09 oz and $15 bucks).

That being said... there’s no cheating the strong, light, cheap - pick any two - paradigm.

I’ve had good luck with that cheap stove, but there’s no way I’d use it for winter backpacking. It’s one thing if that little stove takes a shit and prevents me from making a cup of coffee, or forces me to eat a dehydrated meal cold on an early season trip - but I wouldn’t use it during winter.

OXN939

WKR
Maybe I'm spoiled but I wouldn't use diamondbacks or similar binos ever. I feel cross eyed looking through them after about a minute.

I love my Vortex Diamondback binos. I honestly couldn't see much difference between them and my buddy's Swarovskis last month on our Antelope hunt. Maybe I'm just not discerning enough, but that's the real deal. For the optic that coordinates where my bullet goes, I'm getting to be a real grade A optics snob, but for binos and spotters, mid tier stuff does it just fine for me.

Speaking of which, just picked one of these up and have been impressed. Compared to most spotter recommendations on here, it fits the bill for "ultracheap:"

rob86jeep

WKR
I love my Vortex Diamondback binos. I honestly couldn't see much difference between them and my buddy's Swarovskis last month on our Antelope hunt. Maybe I'm just not discerning enough, but that's the real deal. For the optic that coordinates where my bullet goes, I'm getting to be a real grade A optics snob, but for binos and spotters, mid tier stuff does it just fine for me.

Speaking of which, just picked one of these up and have been impressed. Compared to most spotter recommendations on here, it fits the bill for "ultracheap:"

Most people would say the opposite (rifle scope optics need to be just good enough to see your target whereas binos/spotters need to be really good to keep you from getting eye strain and spot animals in hard to see situations). But, a rifle optic needs to have zero retention and reputable dialing which does eliminate a lot of scopes.

OXN939

WKR
Most people would say the opposite (rifle scope optics need to be just good enough to see your target

Downside of budget binos: you may experience eye strain and have to rest your eyes for a few seconds

Downside of budget riflescope: your entire trip and/or season ends in disaster because you miss or wound an animal due to optics failure

The few, the proud.

rob86jeep

WKR
Downside of budget binos: you may experience eye strain and have to rest your eyes for a few seconds

Downside of budget riflescope: your entire trip and/or season ends in disaster because you miss or wound an animal due to optics failure

The few, the proud.
I think it's more important than that (and I was referring to optic clarity not being as important in a scope, not reliability). If a rifle scope is reliable, the clarity isn't important as long as it's good enough to see what you shooting at. Binos however, if you don't spot the animal (either due to taking a break from eye strain or due to lack of clarity), you can never pursue/attempt to shoot it in the first place. Scope reliability (return to zero/ability to hold zero) will always be number one, but the clarity isn't really important once you reach a certain point.

ewade07

WKR
A few years back i snagged some 12x50 Vortex Crossfire binos for less than 120$. I have to say, those things work phenomenally.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
but the clarity isn't really important once you reach a certain point.

The hard part is "reaching that point", which rules out a whole bunch of scopes IMO. Clear, bright, and edge to edge clarity are pretty high on my list of requirements. I'm a sight (as in vision) guy.......if it's not crystal clear I won't use it. If a scope doesn't dial reliably, I'll use it without dialing.......as long as it has good glass. But if the glass sucks, I don't care what it does with dialing.

Crusader

WKR
I'm kinda adding on and affirming a couple items already posted here. I just love the Wrangler pants; I not only use them for hunting but for everyday wear, even in the office. I have all the color offerings. They are wrinkle free, super durable, great fitting and SUPER CHEAP. I like this version with the two zippered pockets:

And on the Mora knife, I love this Bushcraft model, a nice beefy knife with not only an orange handle but also, an orange sheath, and only $29!:

zog

Lil-Rokslider
fo rme - The reason to go cheap on everything else is to be able to go spendy on: 1) good binos, 2) good scope, and 3) good light rifle, in that order.

I allow myself to spend stupid $$ on binos because they are good all year for so many things in addition to hunting - hiking, scenery, vacations, whales (and other scenery ;) ) in Maui, sports, fires, birds, geology, aircraft, neighbors, etc.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll second many of products already mentioned and add the cheap Walmart blue tarp, stuff sacks, dry bags, Russell brand base layers, Swiss gear gloves, kodiack socks. Any rifle sold at Walmart shoots better than most people. Go commando. Allen backcountry (oops am I getting sued?) game bags. Tire chains my employer issued for the work van fit close enough on my truck. Wyoming saw blade in a dollar store handle. Bic lighter. Dr Scholes inserts.

$13 M65 Surplus pants instead of puffy pants
$55 clearance Eddie Bauer puffer jacket
$19 0.9 ounce titanium stove
$80 ILBE pack
$65 Marmot Trestles Elite sleeping bag
$95 3F UL Lanshan Tent
$60-90 Klymit Static
$30 Amazon off brand carbon fiber trekking poles
$40 clearance Prana Zion pants
$1.99 Smartwater Bottles

woods89

WKR
This is my kind of thread. Most of my stuff was purchased on sale.....

I bought a pair of Propper nylon/spandex pants a couple years ago that have become favorites. $30ish

This fall I took a pair of down pants to Colorado that I ordered off Amazon. I think NatureHike was the brand. I had to have my wife sew some zippers in the inseam so I could take them on and off without taking off my boots, but after that they were great. $50ish.

I have no problem with expensive gear, I just don't want to pay retail prices for it. STP and Camofire have been my friends........