Ultralight means getting ultra trashed.................

Broomd

WKR
As I read through this thread, which is fun and very interesting, one thing seems wonderfully clear to me...

For those of us who have spent considerable nights in a tent/shelter in the middle of total nowhere under absolutely crazy, punishing winds with added rain and/or snow...listening to it blowing and pounding through the entire night and withstanding numerous violent gusts with our fingers-crossed that the tent holds while also thinking through various "what if" scenarios...we all are so genuinely thankful for our tents/shelters in the morning when they make it through the night intact! I know I have been! It's a truly well-earned and very binding loyalty that becomes created for many of us.

I'm not an ultra-light guy, but I'm sharing the above observation with truly good intent. Lastly, out of loyalty and respect to my very good buddy from numerous nights of the above adventures, who is a well-traveled "base-camper" across Alaska for the past six-years, but waaaay over-weight for this conversation, I've got to say thank you....Hilleberg Staika...the best built tent I have ever owned.

Western Alaska...
View attachment 227278
and Kodiak...
View attachment 227279
Well said, friend! We can relate!!

Kentk

FNG
Another for the hilleberg soulo.
Just used mine for the first time in Alberta rockies on a sheep hunt. Was very comfortable through multiple windy nights and a blizzard.

Broomd

WKR
Here's another option similar to that MK 1 Lite. It's less than 2 lbs., also bomber as hell, but also very expensive.
Greg, at 56y/o, I won't buy this tent, I just won't use it enough now; but if I were in that 26-45 age group, that Djedi shelter would be in my pack, cost be damned. At 1.94lbs and bomber, simply awesome. Would be in the day pack and camp/hunt pack. A lifesaver and weighs nothing.

Here's another option similar to that MK 1 Lite. It's less than 2 lbs., also bomber as hell, but also very expensive.

Is the tent body supposed to be more breathable and thus resistant to condensation than standard DCF? That would be my only concern with zero ventilation from the ground level.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies......really good stuff. Lots to think about.
Don't mind spending the money if i don't have to throw it away or burn it at the end of hunting season. Seems i do that alot..............
I do know that am going to pack the extra weight for a better setup.

Randy

If you send an email to customer support most companies will replace product so your not out of pocket :)

BBob

WKR
For bad nasty conditions I have a Bibler I-Tent and a slightly larger Bibler Eldorado. You can't buy them anymore but Black Diamond still has an Eldorado. These were made for serious mountaineering and have been bombproof in bad conditions. If I were to buy today I'd seriously look at Hilleburg or if $$ was no object the Locus Djedi (pretty much a modernized Eldorado) would be on my radar.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
CO 1st rifle had some wicked winds on Sun/Mon. My SO BCS did fine, but it was sure getting whipped hard. I usually try to pitch in a protected position, but the only level spot was exposed. Had I known just how windy it was going to be I might have looked harder for a protected spot. I tried to set it up in as low a profile as I could, the stakes were very solid, I added large rocks over the stakes and had the tie out locations tied to large rocks and roots. I was still a little nervous that a sudden gust would cause a problem.

My dad has a Hilleberg Allek 2. That thing looks bomb proof. Now if I could figure out how to had my Ti stove to it!

tdot

WKR
Is the tent body supposed to be more breathable and thus resistant to condensation than standard DCF? That would be my only concern with zero ventilation from the ground level.
The e-vent is supposed to allow the tent to breathe. It's such a new material/tent that I haven't found alot of data on it. But according to some discussions I've seen on it, it does seem to work. I passed on it this year. But may look at it again in the future after some solid reviews.

Teejay

FNG
eVent has been around a long time.

Many outdoor companies have had rain gear etc made with it. My favorite and most breathable jacket I own is an REI brand jacket made in eVent. The claim
back in the day was that the fabric was so breathable that the typical rain jacket pit zips were not needed. I’ve never missed them in my REI jacket. It’s been relegated to my mountain biking jacket these days but even in it’s often filthy state is just as waterproof and breathable as it was when I bought it.
Feathered Friends also used to offer eVent as an option for a waterproof sleeping bag fabric many years ago.
I’ve seen somewhere on backpacking light that there was at some point some mid shelters made with eVent for winter camping and they performed quite well to reduce condensation because of how breathable the fabric is.

sneaky

"DADDY"
eVent has been around a long time.

Many outdoor companies have had rain gear etc made with it. My favorite and most breathable jacket I own is an REI brand jacket made in eVent. The claim
back in the day was that the fabric was so breathable that the typical rain jacket pit zips were not needed. I’ve never missed them in my REI jacket. It’s been relegated to my mountain biking jacket these days but even in it’s often filthy state is just as waterproof and breathable as it was when I bought it.
Feathered Friends also used to offer eVent as an option for a waterproof sleeping bag fabric many years ago.
I’ve seen somewhere on backpacking light that there was at some point some mid shelters made with eVent for winter camping and they performed quite well to reduce condensation because of how breathable the fabric is.
Yeah, we all know about eVent. This is eVent bonded to DCF though. Completely different animal altogether

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CO-AJ

WKR
I don't think you can go wrong with the Hille's. They are engineered for the worst. My Seek Outside Cimarron has withstood heavy winds, but have not experienced crazy sustained excess winds.

CO 1st rifle had some wicked winds on Sun/Mon. My SO BCS did fine, but it was sure getting whipped hard. I usually try to pitch in a protected position, but the only level spot was exposed. Had I known just how windy it was going to be I might have looked harder for a protected spot. I tried to set it up in as low a profile as I could, the stakes were very solid, I added large rocks over the stakes and had the tie out locations tied to large rocks and roots. I was still a little nervous that a sudden gust would cause a problem.

My dad has a Hilleberg Allek 2. That thing looks bomb proof. Now if I could figure out how to had my Ti stove to it!
I agree. I have a Nallo 4GT, and even though it is red label, I would trust it in literally all but Arctic conditions. It would probably be fine there too.