Ultralight mountain rifle choices

kipper09

WKR
Well I am on the gun hunt again. Having some thoughts on which way to go. Looking for a rifle to cover from pronghorn to elk and goats. Currently have a fieldcraft 6.5 and am looking to step up a little in caliber. Considering 270 fieldcraft or maybe something custom or semi custom in a 6.5 PRC or the new nosler 27 really intrigues me. Wondering what you guys think. Love the fieldcraft line. Feels good and it seems to work good for me. Hoping to keep the gun under 5 3/4 pounds. If anybody would have a good lead or reference on someone who would build a nice sleek lightweight rifle I would like some names. Thanks fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_PDX

FNG
There's a thread on here and you'll see a blurb on Barrett's website but the Fieldcraft is on a production hold for an undetermined time. Online prices are starting to reflect the new supply situation. If you want one I'd probably move sooner than later.

I just went through this same conundrum and settled on ordering a Seekins Havak Element in 6.5PRC. There's always someone giving away or selling 25% off coupons over on Sniper's Hide forums as they're common competition prizes.

Good luck with your shopping.

I don’t have any recommendations.
If I could, though, how do you like the Fieldcraft?
Was reading that the barrel is also fully bedded on these. Contrary to free floating.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
I really like the rifle. For a ultralight mountain rifle it will shoot about as good as you could ask for. That’s why I have considered just buying a fieldcraft 270. It’ll probably take anything I’ll ever hunt. Short of a brown bear I would guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
Don't know your budget, but Rifles, Inc. (Lex Webernick) has been building ultra light, 4 3/4 lbs. rifles for close to 30 years. Also, the new Weatherby Titanium is one sweet gun. (I fondled it at the Sheep Show).

BigSky

WKR
To each their own and the 270 is an excellent choice. However, I think, because of how close the 270 is to the 6.5, the real "step up" begins at the 7mm or even 308 levels. It's debatable where on the caliber spectrum. That's just my take. Hence, my suggestion would be .308 or 30-06. I think a Kimber Montana variant of some sort is a good place to go. The Fieldcraft would also be an excellent choice.

jfs82

WKR
This is the way I'm still leaning (prob not TI to save 900), I just wish Weatherby ammo wasnt so costly as I want the RPM, that alone keeps making me look at 6.5 PRC options.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
One name Rifles inc. I have two of his rifles and they are amazing call Lex and get one on order .

If you reload I’d stuff a 6.5 creedmoor case full of reloder 26, put a 147gr eld-m at the lands and use ur current fieldcraft.

If not Berger ammo with the 140gr and be done. I know this is the time of the year the good idea fairy gets us to part with greenbacks but ur already there with the fieldcraft. Make sure ur rings are degreased and loctite, scopes a 3-9 swfa, and the guns zeroed with 10 shots. Then fill the ark

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Wonder if they changed the weight from when I bought mine. I have one in .260 with the 20” barrel and it’s 5.13 lbs on my scale. I paid $2,650 brand new.

BjornF16

WKR
I also have a Fieldcraft in 6.5 CM...that is more than adequate for goats and antelope. If you really want to "step up" in caliber for elk (not that 6.5 CM can't handle elk), then I'd consider a 280 AI (approx 100 fps less than 7mm RM) or a 7mm Rem Mag.

If you're stuck on FC, then snatch a 308 or 30-06 (while they're available) for elk and you're completely covered.

BjornF16

WKR
Depends upon how you dress it...my goal was to get to 8 lbs. I'm contemplating the 18" threaded 308 and using suppressor.

Even unsupressed, shouldn't be worse than a magnum.