Ultralight mountain rifle choices

Brendan

WKR
I have a Kimber Adirondack in 308 - 5# 14oz loaded, with Swaro Z3 3-10x42scope. 4#11oz completely bare. Mountain Ascent is a little more with longer barrel. Recoil is definitely snappy on the .308. Scoped myself first shot I ever took on an animal.

Here's a Mountain Ascent 6.5 CM with the Kimber Brake on (Don't have this one anymore, kept the adirondack):

09979216da34346058e0737a194f4611.jpg

I have a FC in 30-06. It's a bit under 6lb, 6 oz with talley lw's and a 3.5-10x40 vx3i. It's pretty snappy with fairly hot 180's, but by no means brutal.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Tons of good info guys. I think I’m down to a few choices now. 30-06 or 308 fieldcraft or I have been looking hard at a Sako Finnlight maybe in a 7-08 or 308. The Finnlight looks like it’s not crazy light but should work ok for what we are speaking of. Anybody wanna weigh in on the Finnlight a little?? I figure the 7-08 is plenty for anything I will hunt (sheep,elk, goat, deer) except brown bear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Tons of good info guys. I think I’m down to a few choices now. 30-06 or 308 fieldcraft or I have been looking hard at a Sako Finnlight maybe in a 7-08 or 308. The Finnlight looks like it’s not crazy light but should work ok for what we are speaking of. Anybody wanna weigh in on the Finnlight a little?? I figure the 7-08 is plenty for anything I will hunt (sheep,elk, goat, deer) except brown bear?

Awesome caliber and a great rifle with the finnlight. The sakos are shocking at how well they shoot and how smooth the action is for a factory rifle.

For truly ultralight hunting rifles don't overlook Kimbers. I know they have a bad rep, but honestly in my experience most of thats in the past.

I bought a Montana in 308, thing shoots lights out. I had to grind down the mag box, but otherwise it was great.

Shortly thereafter I bought a Subalpine in 280ai. Wasn't free floated. One call to Kimber, I had a prepaid shipping label. Two weeks later it was back with a brand new stock and a target. It also shoots great.

You'll get your naysayers with "oh well for that price you shouldn't have to do any work!" - I challenge you to find a rifle of equal weight at the same price. Yes, theres a fluke or two with them but for the most part they work.

FWIW, Cabela's has a 30-06 FC at their Thorton CO store for $1499. That would have been a decent price a few months ago but is now imo opinion as cheap as you'll find one. I think for $25 they will ship it to any other Cabelas or BPS. I was going to buy it a month ago but ended up getting a great deal on a used one in a private sale.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
FWIW, Cabela's has a 30-06 FC at their Thorton CO store for $1499. That would have been a decent price a few months ago but is now imo opinion as cheap as you'll find one. I think for $25 they will ship it to any other Cabelas or BPS. I was going to buy it a month ago but ended up getting a great deal on a used one in a private sale.

Calling them this morning. If they will ship it to my Cabelas I’m gonna buy it. I really appreciate that lead my friend. I have some gift cards there as well so that helps a bunch

Even in a lightweight mountain rifle I prefer something with all rugged components that will stand up to tough mountain conditions. What I’ve noticed is when a rifle (bare gun) starts going below 6lbs the additional weight loss begins degrading other features, components, handling or consistent accuracy. Some comments on those mentioned and a few others to consider:

Kimber — Never Again = after numerous attempts and a lot of $, it still wouldn’t shoot

Barrett Fieldcraft — am familiar with it and a few friends own them give nothing but glowing reports

Bergara Premier Mountain — after considerable research I almost bought one in 280AI and still might

H-S Precision PHL - they just started making it again. Have one, and it is my “go-to” 6.5CM sheep rifle. It is a true short-action so it can’t be chambered in 6.5PRC or standard length cartridges, so I’m considering one in 300WSM. A bit more expensive, but extremely well made, handles like a dream, and in my 6.5CM it gets 1/2 MOA groups with several loads. See no reason a 300WSM wouldn‘t produce similar results.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I will second the HS Percision I have a professional hunter light weight in 25 super short Magnum that is a blast to carry and shoot

Dhbwa

WKR
To each their own and the 270 is an excellent choice. However, I think, because of how close the 270 is to the 6.5, the real "step up" begins at the 7mm or even 308 levels. It's debatable where on the caliber spectrum. That's just my take. Hence, my suggestion would be .308 or 30-06. I think a Kimber Montana variant of some sort is a good place to go. The Fieldcraft would also be an excellent choice.
+1
A 270 just isn’t a big enough jump IMO. A Kimber Montana or similar in 280 AI or 30-06 would be my suggestion

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have nothing but good things to say about my kimber rifles, I’ve never had an issue with either of them and both of them shoot well. I have a Montana 308 and a mountain ascent 300wsm both with nightforce shv scopes on them.

I'll throw my .02 in as well and say that all 3 of the LW Kimber rifles I've owned, and the 3 other ones that friends have owned, have been very accurate right out of the box. That said, the one Barrett FC I have is also very accurate and a real sweat heart to shoot (6.5 CM).

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You could look for a gen 1 700 Ti. My .270 has been worked on a little bit and it weighs 5 3/4# with a3.5-10 VX-3. Shoots superb.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Well I made the move fellas. Thanks to a lead by runningwater I picked up a barrett fieldcraft in 30-06. For $1499 from Cabelas. I paid $25 and they are supposed to ship it Monday to my closest Cabelas. I have $500 if gift cards at Cabelas and that made the decision a littler easier. I think that a 6.5 CM and a 06 fieldcraft are a pretty solid pair of hunting rifles. I went back and forth but think there’s enough spread now and maybe wasn’t with a 270. I have a 3.5-10 vx3 here I’m not using so I may mount it up. May look at a different optic. Sure appreciate all the great input. If anybody wants to weigh in now on a scope fire away. Thanks again. And Runningwater I appreciate the lead a bunch.

Well I made the move fellas. Thanks to a lead by runningwater I picked up a barrett fieldcraft in 30-06. For $1499 from Cabelas. I paid $25 and they are supposed to ship it Monday to my closest Cabelas. I have $500 if gift cards at Cabelas and that made the decision a littler easier. I think that a 6.5 CM and a 06 fieldcraft are a pretty solid pair of hunting rifles. I went back and forth but think there’s enough spread now and maybe wasn’t with a 270. I have a 3.5-10 vx3 here I’m not using so I may mount it up. May look at a different optic. Sure appreciate all the great input. If anybody wants to weigh in now on a scope fire away. Thanks again. And Runningwater I appreciate the lead a bunch.

congrats!!! certainly can't go wrong there!!

Blakelok

FNG
Depends upon how you dress it...my goal was to get to 8 lbs. I'm contemplating the 18" threaded 308 and using suppressor.

Even unsupressed, shouldn't be worse than a magnum.

similar goal for me and ended up being:
Mauser M18 6.5 PRC
Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10
Vortex PM Rings

7.8 lbs and right at $1K all in.

If you can find a Forbs rifle...with just a little work smoothing upis a spectacular rifle...

The 2 fieldcraft rifles I have played with were top notch....

Lex built some fine rifles--I heard Lex passed away--I hope that is a bad rumor...

I really like the Seekins element...wish they would make it in left hand...