Ultralight rangefinder

What’s the lightest rangefinder out there? From my research I’ve found that the vortex and sig makes one around 5oz. Just wanted to confirm if I’m missing one I should take a look at. Thanks as always guys.

I think the best option really for the highest performing, lightest weight, range finder would be a Leica. 6.5 oz. You don’t necessarily have to buy the latest and most expensive version either. Any of the previous versions from the past few years work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
What’s the lightest rangefinder out there? From my research I’ve found that the vortex and sig makes one around 5oz. Just wanted to confirm if I’m missing one I should take a look at. Thanks as always guys.

Which Sig is in the 5 oz range? My Kilo 2200MR is 7.5 oz.

rj2

WKR
5oz is pretty tempting. anyone compare the sig kilo 1600 to ranger 1500? thats what I have now, which is 7.2oz, but has optional clip which I like sometimes.

bat-cave

WKR
I had a Sig Kilo 2 and was very happy with it ... until I lost it in KS. :-(

I like my Vortex Ranger 1000. I wish you could adjust the brighteness as it can leave you seeing spots in low light, but works well.

I am currently using a Nikon 3000 Stabilized and it is my favorite to date. Very accurate, quick ranging and the stabilization helps with ranging smaller targets or patches of fun in cover.

FWIW, I tested the new Leupold RX-4 Fulldraw this past weekend at TAC. Kudo's to Leupold for the loaner program! I will say that I'm a geek and users Archers Advantage and so I was super keen to try this unit out! I did notice that it would range a couple of yards less on super steep shots (Sitka Course) than my Nikon, so it appeared that the SW was doing it's thing (I can't prove which one is right, but will give the benefit of the doubt to the Leupold). My disappointment was that it was really hard to get an accurate reading on distant objects with any sort of cover. There were a number of shots with the target partially obscured (great hunting simulation) and I would frequently get 10 yard variances and I couldn't tell which one to trust .. and ended up using the Nikon to settle the matter. If the Leupold added the Image Stabilization from the Nikon, it would be hands down the best (IMHO). However w/o some sort of stabilization ... I lost confidence in it and ended up relying on my Nikon. I wanted to love the Fulldraw, but for me I fear it would let me down during Elk season as where I hunt I am frequently in heavy cover and I am more confident in my Nikon. Maybe I should just give up coffee! :) Oh wait that won't be happening! I did even try using my bow to stabilize the Leupold, but It was just to variable - FWIW.

Jimss

WKR
My rangefinder weighs 0! I have a Leica bino/rangefinder combo! I'm totally sold one it! No need to carry 2 and fumble back and forth between both of them!

87TT

WKR
If it was between weight and a red readout, I would carry twice as much weight as long as it had the red readout.

Quote: "FWIW, I tested the new Leupold RX-4 Fulldraw this past weekend at TAC. Kudo's to Leupold for the loaner program! I will say that I'm a geek and users Archers Advantage and so I was super keen to try this unit out! I did notice that it would range a couple of yards less on super steep shots (Sitka Course) than my Nikon, so it appeared that the SW was doing it's thing (I can't prove which one is right, but will give the benefit of the doubt to the Leupold). My disappointment was that it was really hard to get an accurate reading on distant objects with any sort of cover. There were a number of shots with the target partially obscured (great hunting simulation) and I would frequently get 10 yard variances and I couldn't tell which one to trust .. and ended up using the Nikon to settle the matter. If the Leupold added the Image Stabilization from the Nikon, it would be hands down the best (IMHO). However w/o some sort of stabilization ... I lost confidence in it and ended up relying on my Nikon. I wanted to love the Fulldraw, but for me I fear it would let me down during Elk season as where I hunt I am frequently in heavy cover and I am more confident in my Nikon. Maybe I should just give up coffee! :) Oh wait that won't be happening! I did even try using my bow to stabilize the Leupold, but It was just to variable - FWIW.
[/QUOTE]

Range the target using scan mode...you get a lot of readings in short order...pay attention to where the rangefinder reticle is, and you'll quickly sort out how far the target is. I.E. just hold the button down until you repeatedly verify the target distance. Works well for me when I'm excited on an animal...a lot better than repeated poking and reading the range every few seconds. Not all rangefinders give you the angle corrected yardage in scan mode but the Leupold RX1600 TBR w/DNA does...really a useful feature.