Ultralight Saw Option

three5x5s

WKR
Trying a curved balde, its said to be 15-20% faster than the flat blade. I'm not sure if it will work with this ultra lite handle. Will post up when everything arrives. $23.90 from here plus 8 shipping.
Put a couple in your cart and wait a day or 2 and see if they send you 10% off.
Needing an ultra=light knife now.

I just got my handles in the mail today. One each of 130 & 170mm. My plan is to keep the 130 with a bone blade in my kill kit at all times. I’ll bring the 170 with large teeth as well if I plan on making fires (a lot of my backcountry trips are early archery and I usually don’t do fires in aug/sept). Bringing both will still be less weight than a pocketboy.

I was wondering if anyone has experience/recommendation for the silky fine vs extra fine blades for bone? Trying to decide which one for my kill kit.

Also @three5x5s any word on if the curved blades fit?

three5x5s

WKR
The curved blade fits, where the curve is some of the teeth are exposed on one side and it may cause things to hang on them in your pack. I may try a cardboard sleeve or maybe a piece of tape to cover the blade. I'll get some pictures up tonight.

I ordered one. Jan was very responsive.

will large teeth not work for bone? I am thinking I cut more wood than bone and I don’t want to carry two saws.

Getting ready to make some sort of purchase for a bone/wood saw and came across this thread. Hoping that someone can shed some info for me.
Caribou ribs and skull plate: Would you prefer the 130 or 170 mm, and why?
Bringing 2 blades to swap between wood and bone: Is there a way to store the extra blade? In the handle or some other packaging?
TIA

three5x5s

WKR
The 170 blade wont fit the 130 handle, but I don't know if the 130 blade would fit in the 170 handle. Just in case you were thinking of having 2 different sizes.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the extra fine for bone.

Mine is carried with the wood blade on, bone blade in the kill kit. Switching out the blades is easy with a small multi tool (which is on my kill kit to insure swapping Havalon blades doesn’t induce a loss of blood :D)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
eBay sometimes has better deals on blades (coming from Japan), that’s where I’ve sourced mine, albeit a couple of years ago

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
only with the extra fine, the fine might work too?, but the extra fine works very well

Shraggs

WKR
I have the fine, but no bone yet. Deliberated on this and hopefully those fine teeth do well as I felt the fine cuts hard or old dead wood way better than medium teeth.

For those interested, the large aren’t going to cut bone at all. I have done a skull cap in the medium - it got done but those teeth are also to big for bone in my experience. Best size for mixed green and dry and hard wood tho.

Afhunter1

WKR
I just got my handle and two blades in the mail. My extra fine is not as thick as the medium blade and it wobbles a little in the handle. I think a small washer will fix it. Has anyone else noticed a blade thickness difference on the extra fine?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got my handle and two blades in the mail. My extra fine is not as thick as the medium blade and it wobbles a little in the handle. I think a small washer will fix it. Has anyone else noticed a blade thickness difference on the extra fine?

my fine blade is a little thinner than my wood blade; I took the wood blade off and put the fine blade on- just had to tighten the screw a little more

are you using it on the original handle or one of Jan's? if it's Jan's try tightening the screw a little more

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Can you guys post a link to the different blades? I did some searching and can't find the blades sold independently. Thanks.