Ultralight sleeping bag

My wife and I are doing a NOLS trip this year and it is hut to hut hiking in the Alps. The huts are heated but they suggest a sleep sack. I’ve been looking at some sleeping bags that are around a pound thinking it would be worth the weight if they were comfortable. Anyone have any real world experience with one pound sleeping bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
You have a budget you want to stay under? WM has several bags under a pound, but you know they aren't cheap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I would personally look at a quilt, rather then a sleeping bag. Enlightened Equipment, etc. A 40degree down quilt should work and be plenty light.

My wife did the Haute Route a few years back and there was bedding, etc provided. But the needed to bring a bed liner, really, just their own bed sheet.

OP
seldomseensmith
Thanks so far for responses. I’m looking at the quilts. Not sure on budget. If I can justify its use beyond this trip ill spend the money. Maybe as a cold weather liner in my zero bag for those really cold hunts?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks so far for responses. I’m looking at the quilts. Not sure on budget. If I can justify its use beyond this trip ill spend the money. Maybe as a cold weather liner in my zero bag for those really cold hunts?

On super cold hunts I do like to bring my down insulated quilt as an extra sleeping warmth piece. It’s also really nice for early morning and late night glassing keeping warm sitting still. Packs down in a stuff sack really nice and is only 2 lbs.

I looked around for something like this a couple of years ago. A lightweight sleeping bag that could also be a airport/bus/car/train blanket as well as an option when bedding was “suspicious” in my accommodations. I was hoping to keep it around 1#. I wanted shnthetic for easy care and the ability to open fully and use as a quilt. I came to realize synthetic with a full zip is going to be 1.5-2# regardless of who makes it and how much it costs.

after looking a while, I couldn’t find anything I thought was going to be durable that wasn’t going to cost a fortune. so...it is 2x your desired weight but I am very happy with my snugpak jungle bag. $60. Sleeping bag mode is too warm above 70 but will get me Down to 40 With some help. Has a built in bug face mask. I open it as a quilt most often. I have used it from the Grand Canyon to airport terminals in Asia.

my closest second was a western mountaineering Everlite At $300.

I have a helicon swagman roll On order. Going to see how I like it but for now that snugpak bag is holding its own.

chuckles

Lil-Rokslider
The spark series of sleeping bags from sea to summit are good ones. I run the 28 degree bag and in my opinion its warmer than the rating. It’s 17 ounces. They also make a 40 degree and its 12 oz. they are relatively inexpensive especially if you wait for a sale. I think I got mine for 250. Also the compact down to an incredibly small size.

hikenhunt

WKR
I'd suggest the western mountaineering everlite as mentioned above. Its a full zip, so you can vent if its too warm.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if they are heated, I’d look at something in the 40-50 degree range. if you already own some down bags, consider a synthetic for this use and get double duty out of it in cold weather in conjunction with your down bag

a light synthetic quilt/bag layered over a down bag adds pretty significant warmth as well as moving the dewpoint outside of your down bag- keeping the down dry (and lofty)

If you want a full zip I’m pretty sure you can a full zip quilt/bag in Apex from EE (Convert) and Nunatak (Gamut), probably others

OP
seldomseensmith
I spent some time shopping on line this morning after some of the pointers here. I bought a down BA sleeping bag liner that looks great for what I want and weighs 1 lb. I also have a BA Storm King that this will be nice to add to when needed. I’ll report back

Cody_W

WKR
I have a thermarest Hyperion 32° bag that weighs 17oz with the stuff sack and I’ve got to say it was great this year to use. I had plenty of room to wiggle and the zipper doesn’t get caught, it could stand to use a collar but when the temps get low my down jacket and pants work great in addition. Picked it up on sale at REI for in the $200 range. They also make a 20° bag that’s 20oz. Great alternative to WM though probably not quite as durable.

gfreidy

WKR
I would look at an Enlightened equipment Apex insulated quilt. Should get you under a pound and be relatively budget friendly.

Beendare

WKR
I have a 1# 800 fill 30 deg bag that is great for summer and early spring/fall backpacking. Its pretty delicate fabric....but it is great. If I had a do over, I wouldn't have got the very lightest fabric.

A quilt would work for you too I would think.