Ultralight solo tent - Durston X-Mid new drop on Massdrop

sbsyncro

FNG
For those that frequent ultralight forums, you may already know the name Dan Durston. He's designed a really interesting new 1P trekking pole shelter that is being made by Massdrop. It is double-walled, made from SilPoly and weighs in at around 28 oz (with seam tape). I think it's going to be a perfect back country hunting shelter. I don't' want this to sound too much like an ad, but I'm really excited about this shelter, and wanted to post it here for others. I am not in any way affiliated with either Massdrop or Dan Durston other than being a happy customer of Massdrop and a follower of Dan's writings on the subject of ultralight shelters.

2019-03-28_09-53-34.jpeg

Here's the discussion around the shelter:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...k/2131265?utm_source=linkshare&referer=MB9KXK

Here's a video overview:

I personally got in on the first "drop" for this and have been waiting since last September for shipment, which should occur in a few weeks. The good news is that I just saw they have an extra 300 tents and will re-open the drop TOMORROW (Friday, March 29th)

The first couple of drops sold out VERY quickly. At $200 given the apparent quality (and thought) going into this tent, it looks very exciting.

For those that are not familiar with Massdrop, it's basically a "group buy" on steroids. There are different communities, ultralight being one of them. I'm hoping some day they create a "hunting" community... If you are NOT a member, you can join using my affiliate link below, which will give you $10 off your first purchase (and I get $10). I follow the blade, EDC, flashlight, and Ultralight areas, and sometimes there are great deals. Other times, kinda mediocre; but the community and commentary are usually very helpful.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdr...d-1p-tent?utm_source=linkshare&referer=MB9KXK

I was checking shipment status, and when I saw that another drop was going to be made available, I figured I'd post it here. For anyone on the fence, I GUARANTEE that if you get one and decide you don't want it, there will be 50 people willing to buy it from you (probably at a premium, based on what I've seen in comments).

I'm excited to put mine to use this Fall...

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
Ohhhh. I'm intrigued. I like a lot about this design. If it had a few more guy outs for sheep country and I'd definitely give it a whirl.

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
I’m thinking that wind isn’t going to be a problem with this design. It seals to the ground unlike many U/L shelters, so no gap for the wind to get under and cause problems. I think I read that he’d tested it in actual 30-40mph gusts but also believed it would be good up to 60 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. I got in on todays drop! I’m stoked to check it out. I actually just bought a Nemo hornet 1 used last week for this years hunts after almost getting the six moon designs lunar solo first but decided the hornet would be easier. This xmid seems perfect as long as a large enough flat spot is found to pitch. I liked everything I saw and read and seems like the perfect trek pole setup. Now I’ll probably be selling the Nemo

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Thanks for sharing. I got in on todays drop! I’m stoked to check it out. I actually just bought a Nemo hornet 1 used last week for this years hunts after almost getting the six moon designs lunar solo first but decided the hornet would be easier. This xmid seems perfect as long as a large enough flat spot is found to pitch. I liked everything I saw and read and seems like the perfect trek pole setup. Now I’ll probably be selling the Nemo

Awesome - you got lucky. Apparently they sold out within a few hours. There won't be any more available unti the Fall. I'm waiting/watching for his 2P version and plan to snap that one up as soon as its available.

Last edited:

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
I’m excited about this. I got in on the first drop and have been anxiously waiting since last year!

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
I saw one on eBay the other day. Here it is.

They will be doing more, probably in the Fall.

There’s also a solid inner version in the works and possibly a hybrid DCF version as well.

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Just found out there is a 2p in the works!

Last edited:
OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
I’ve used 1P on a a couple of scouting trips so far and really like it. I’m still trying to figure out how to juggle trekking poles + rifle. A lot of “long stuff” to deal with but if I can rig up a good trekkin pole/shooting stick setup i’ll Be pretty happy at the overall weight savings.

This x-mid shelter is very compact (about 1/2 the packed size and weight of my regular freestanding 1P shelter). So far I really like it but it hasn’t seen any weather yet.

Last edited:

DFB

FNG
I got the one on eBay. It arrived today. My first impression is it seems really well made. I’m going to see if I can work out a tree limb setup as I’m not a huge fan of carrying trekking poles. I’ll update with photos after I get it pitched.

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
I got the one on eBay. It arrived today. My first impression is it seems really well made. I’m going to see if I can work out a tree limb setup as I’m not a huge fan of carrying trekking poles. I’ll update with photos after I get it pitched.

You can also buy custom sized carbon poles for it - I’ve seen a few people on the UL forums do that with success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used 1P on a a couple of scouting trips so far and really like it. I’m still trying to figure out how to juggle trekking poles + rifle. A lot of “long stuff” to deal with but if I can rig up a good trekkin pole/shooting stick setup i’ll Be pretty happy at the overall weight savings.

This x-mid shelter is very compact (about 1/2 the packed size and weight of my regular freestanding 1P shelter). So far I really like it but it hasn’t seen any weather yet.

Are you having trouble finding space to lash your trekking poles to pack or trying to use poles with a slung or handheld rifle?

I've always been carrying either my trekking poles or my weapon, never both, never neither. If you don't find the utility of trekking poles for hiking before/after legal hours or during a pack out I can see where a custom set of carbon tent poles would be lighter. Bet you could get a sufficient pair for under 8 ounces.

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Are you having trouble finding space to lash your trekking poles to pack or trying to use poles with a slung or handheld rifle?

I've always been carrying either my trekking poles or my weapon, never both, never neither. If you don't find the utility of trekking poles for hiking before/after legal hours or during a pack out I can see where a custom set of carbon tent poles would be lighter. Bet you could get a sufficient pair for under 8 ounces.

Yea, same here - usually either one or the other. I'm trying to get set up with an UL hunting setup based on a MR Pop-up 28 pack - that pack doesn't really have a good provision for carrying a rifle or trekking poles, but I'm still fiddling with it. My Osprey backpacking pack has great loops for lashing the poles out of the way and then I usually just sling my rifle either across my front or over a shoulder with a velcro strap to keep it from sliding off. Just need some time to maybe add some additional straps or something to the MR Pop-up

DFB

FNG
Alright. First pitch took about 9 minutes including time to find two sticks to break to length. It’s fairly intuitive to setup as I didn’t read the directions printed on the stuff sack tag before starting and hit no snags. I had watched the video a few days before. It’s easily the sturdiest stick setup tent I’ve tried. The ridge not being parallel to the sides seems to make it really rigid once it’s set even without the tips guyed out. Zippers are super smooth and easy to open and close even with one hand. The nest is plenty roomy for me at 6’1” and 240lbs. There’s extra room at my head and feet. The only tight place is across my shoulders but I’m pretty wide across the shoulders. The vestibules are gigantic and will hold a fully packed EMR2, a pair of boots, and food bag. That’s just on one side. I turned my sprinklers on it and it stayed water tight for the 3 hours I ran it. The nest is quite bug EE902F41-FFB0-43D7-B8A1-89B7AA2E85D5.jpegtight as well. I put some peanut butter crackers in there and zipped it up. Left them 48 hours and 0 ants. That’s pretty amazing considering TN has no shortage of bugs. That’s about all I’ve tested so far but I plan to put it in the pack for a couple overnighters over the next few weekends. The pros so far are easy pitch, very well made, very roomy, very sturdy, bug free, fairly lite weight, watertight without having to seamseal. The only cons so far are terrible stakes (they’re like little stainless Shepard’s hook style stakes, going to replace with some groundhogs), the netting has a few really small pulls or runs in it (it’s not a biggie to me but if you are super picky or ocd it may grate your nerves), That’s about it. It’s a great setup so far.

freshta

WKR
What’s the weight on that dude and anyone know when that will drop date will happen?

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Generally around 28-29oz with the stakes and stuff sack.

I’ve exchanged a couple of messages with the designer and he’s not sure but seems to think they may do another drop this fall.

A 2p version is imminent and i plan to grab one of those too if I can.

The designer is really skilled and detail oriented and it comes through in his design and his overall approach.