Ultralight spinning rod

I have just started to get into ultra light fishing I already have a 1000 size reel but am curious what rods and rod lengths you guys use

I just ordered a st Croix avid 6, Ulf planning on throwing 1/32 - 1/64 jigs with gulp minnows and trout magnets... I have heart some people complain about how whippy the st Croix ultra lights are but ill see how it works out

Last edited:

CCH

WKR
I like a six foot ultralight, especially with a 1000 sized reel (depending on weight.) Lately mine have been four-piece for backpacking. I had a Daiwa I really liked, but it lost a battle with a car door. I replaced it with another Daiwa, but a "trout" model that is decent, but the action is softer than I'd like. Eventually I want to replace it with something like St. Croix's Avid travel ultralight even though it is a bit shorter. If you want a one or two piece, your options are almost unlimited.

I just bought a 2 piece seven foot light action triumph and a 6’6” light action premier both St. Croix. They are both very nice for the money. A lot of my buddies pushed St. Croix. I went with light instead of ultra light since I’m after crappies.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Right now I have a Lamiglas X-11 6.5 foot ultralight, and really like it. My daughter uses a 7foot ultralight and I can’t recall who it’s made by, but it was inexpensive and I really like her rod too. I have traded with her on numerous occasions.

Tank9

FNG
I picked up a Fenwick Eagle 8' ultralight last year and it's a riot. I wouldn't toss any big lures with it but for sneaking around small trout streams or open water panfishing it's perfect

FLATHEAD

WKR
That Pfleuger President UL is really sweet.
Tenkara is cool for really small streams, esp. if
backpacking in. I have one and I think it weighs
1 ounce.

Last edited:

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big St Croix fan. I used to favor loomis. Gotta be honest, I got the ul trout series rod this year. My least favorite rod. Like my old St Croix and Loomis better

OP
Joshuajosh
I’m a big St Croix fan. I used to favor loomis. Gotta be honest, I got the ul trout series rod this year. My least favorite rod. Like my old St Croix and Loomis better
The loomis trout rod or the st croix ? I just got an avid hopefully it’s nice if not just send it back

I have had multiple St. Croix and Loomis..I have decided I am hard on gear and can't have nice things...broke them all. We hike a long way in some trips and spend a couple nights shit happens. Got fed up and went picked up a $40 ultra light pro ugly stick from the local Walmart, somewhere in WV..the fancy one with cork handle..figured it would at least get me thru the trip. I have been using that rod for 5 years now. It's caught a lot of fish. Havent felt the need to replace it..actually bought another one for the wife, I broke her fancy pole too...YMMV

OP
Joshuajosh
I have had multiple St. Croix and Loomis..I have decided I am hard on gear and can't have nice things...broke them all. We hike a long way in some trips and spend a couple nights shit happens. Got fed up and went picked up a $40 ultra light pro ugly stick from the local Walmart, somewhere in WV..the fancy one with cork handle..figured it would at least get me thru the trip. I have been using that rod for 5 years now. It's caught a lot of fish. Havent felt the need to replace it..actually bought another one for the wife, I broke her fancy pole too...YMMV
I take care of my stuff but I know what you mean those ugly sticks are tanks

I take care of my stuff but I know what you mean those ugly sticks are tanks
I try to take care of my gear and usually do..but when it come to trout where I like to fish is a bit of hike and is surrounded by rhododendron thickets 8'tall my rods take a beating. A couple of them broke fighting fish..I think they got dinged/cracked at some point and gave up the ghost with some load. Nothing worse than watching a buddy into good bite and you have to hike back to the truck and get a spare rod. You get back an hour and half later and it's over. Haven't had to do that since I spent 40 bucks at walmart...solvesd my issue.