Ultralight Tripod and Head

Hunthigh1

WKR
What lightweight tripods and heads for spotting scope setups can some of you recommend?

I am saving up for a 65 mm Kowa 663 with 20-60x eyepiece and need to start researching tripods
I don't think I need a standing height tripod. I mostly sit when glassing.

What are the best ultralight options for tripods?

Do you guys all run Ball heads instead of pan heads? Whtat heads would you use?

How much lighter can you get than this setup?

http://www.sandsarchery.com/Promaster-XC525c-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-p/proxc525c.htm

Shrek

WKR
Oben ct 2431 legs are 1.7lbs and the sirui t-025x legs can be trimmed to @ 18oz but it will be a sitting only tripod after trimming. The manfrotto rc2 700 is right at a pound without the handle . I like to be able to sit or stand because I'm using my tripod and spotter year round for different activities. Hunting I'm sitting but hiking with a group birding or something I'm standing and also sharing the spotter so an easily adjustable height is important to me. I didn't like the one ball head I tried but it was the one that came on a summit ss.

_Nick_

WKR
Oben ct 2431 legs are 1.7lbs and the sirui t-025x legs can be trimmed to @ 18oz but it will be a sitting only tripod after trimming. The manfrotto rc2 700 is right at a pound without the handle . I like to be able to sit or stand because I'm using my tripod and spotter year round for different activities. Hunting I'm sitting but hiking with a group birding or something I'm standing and also sharing the spotter so an easily adjustable height is important to me. I didn't like the one ball head I tried but it was the one that came on a summit ss.

Yeah, I've trimmed my t-025x legs (posted a how-to elsewhere). I really love it and don't mind the sitting only. Regarding a tripod head, I don't think there are great 'ultralight' options that actually work really well. I run the OD panhead, after trying the lightweight ball heads. I just couldn't find anything really light that would smoothly work with my heavy 15x binos.

I like the Zipshot Mini which weighs 9 ounces. The head is not the best but it is very light in weight, functional, and deploys quickly. I leave mine attached to my Nikon ED50. The combination tripod and spotter weighs 1# 10 ounces. I have been impressed with the ED50. I can almost always see significantly better detail with the ED50 at 13x than with my Swarovski ELs at 10x.

Much prefer the pan head over the ball, for the simple reason of panning side to side on the same plane. Then raise or lower the head and pan on that plane. With the ball it just seems to flop around with no precision.

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Much prefer the pan head over the ball, for the simple reason of panning side to side on the same plane. Then raise or lower the head and pan on that plane. With the ball it just seems to flop around with no precision.

which pan head are you using and what does it weigh?

OP
H

Hunthigh1

WKR
Yeah, I've trimmed my t-025x legs (posted a how-to elsewhere). I really love it and don't mind the sitting only. Regarding a tripod head, I don't think there are great 'ultralight' options that actually work really well. I run the OD panhead, after trying the lightweight ball heads. I just couldn't find anything really light that would smoothly work with my heavy 15x binos.

By OD You mean outdoorsmans?

Mtnboy

WKR
I run a Small Schonfeld Carbon Fiber Tripod with a Schonfeld Pan Head.

It's 2lb 11oz

It's super compact when all the way down and I really like the pan head because it just adjust with 1 big knob. I'm also able to find a "sweet spot" in the head tightness where I can move it to scan with my binos but it will still hold steady when I let go.

I only have to bend over slightly with it fully extended and my angled Swaro and I'm 6'3"

Mtnboy

WKR
a12aec301d9978a5bda8916d81782552.jpg

faced151edef17a394f3addf448e6210.jpg

Mtnboy

WKR
dca2bcf63a34867a5520ca7d80e27800.jpg

fbc1fb35f5743440b8bbfe2305b86575.jpg

I haven't used very many small tripods like this one in the field, but I've handled/seen most of them. The fit/finish on the Schonfeld is pretty good in my opinion and its steady enough for my use with a 65mm Swaro.

At full extension it is a little shaky, but to me that's to be expected from a tripod this small at that height. With both center-posts up and the head, it's right at 53". In my opinion you don't buy a tripod this small to use standing up much, so for me, I'll deal with a little shake the 5% if the time I use it at that height.

Last edited:

LitenFast

WKR
Anybody tried out the new Vortex summit ss-p, same as the ss but with panhead instead of ball, looks like its under 2# and the way I will most likely go

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody tried out the new Vortex summit ss-p, same as the ss but with panhead instead of ball, looks like its under 2# and the way I will most likely go

I played with one at the store a couple of weeks ago but did not buy it. I found that the panhead was anything but smooth on the sample I tried. Otherwise pretty solid. I think I will go with the Sirui 025.

neverquit

WKR
It's light but I wouldn't call it ultra light but the outdoorsman line suits me well. I liked the medium I had. Recently I traded it for the medium compact. I love it. It fits my style perfectly

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Vortex Summit SS-P but I upgraded the head to a Manfrotto 700 rc2. Much better head.

Shrek

WKR
I received my Oben CT2431 today and it's my favorite so far. It's 3" shorter than the Oben CT 2331 which cured the only complaint I had with the CT2331. The CT 2431 is 2lbs 7.5oz with the 700RC2 head with the handle removed. I can use it standing or sitting and the center column adjust for height easily. I probably will not get to use it tomorrow as I think I'm going to buy a truck but Sunday for sure.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have been using a Velbon Ultra Maxi M for the past 3+ years now. Works great even with my 85mm Zeiss. I used a 700 RC2 pan head on it the first year or so, but found I rarely actually pan with my spotter so I swapped to the smaller lighter Manfrotto 494 RC ball head.

But all up its 34 oz with the Manfrotto Ballhead:

Recently picked up a Vortex Summit SS with the ballhead as its simply the Velbon rebranded to say Vortex on it. Its a bit lighter with the lighter tripod head which is fine as I don't plan to use a heavy spotter on this tripod:

As you can see they are nearly clones of each other even if bought 3+ years apart, I did cut off the little foam pads on the velbon a while back otherwise they'd look even more similar:

Becca glassing with the Velbon with the Zeiss 85mm spotter and the 700 RC2 pan head on her sheep hunt:

Trr15

WKR
I received my Oben CT2431 today and it's my favorite so far. It's 3" shorter than the Oben CT 2331 which cured the only complaint I had with the CT2331. The CT 2431 is 2lbs 7.5oz with the 700RC2 head with the handle removed. I can use it standing or sitting and the center column adjust for height easily. I probably will not get to use it tomorrow as I think I'm going to buy a truck but Sunday for sure.

Thanks for the heads up on the Oben tripod. I ordered a ct2431 after our pm exchange and it arrived yesterday. I also paired it with the 700rc2 head. Seems like it will be a very solid, lightweight setup.

DaveC

WKR
Luke, how much better is the Manfrotto than the stock Vortex ball-head? I have the Summit-SS and like it fine, but a smoother and more adjustable head wouldn't hurt my feelings.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke, how much better is the Manfrotto than the stock Vortex ball-head? I have the Summit-SS and like it fine, but a smoother and more adjustable head wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Dave,

I am using a 4+ pound 85mm spotter on mine so the upgrade helped lock down on what I want to look at with very minimal drip after locking and letting go. With lighter 50 and 65mm spotters that are 3 pounds are less the standard head would likely be just fine.