Ultralite Dilema

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I have been looking at a lot of Ultralite rifles from everyone out there it seems like, and it seems as though everyone is using a No.1 barrel or carbon fiber wrapped barrels. Not happy about trying a No. 1 barrel. My understanding is they cannot be free floated because all of the warping they experience. I understand that some manufacturers are holding the barrels at the recoil lug and then again near the end of the forestock to stiffen them up. So I can't get over the concept of using a barrel that needs to be held down at various spots. They can't be very good long term right? Probably am sold on the Carbon wrap barrels and will go with that new technology. Any comments are welcome.

rootacres

WKR
There are a couple things going on with the ultralight game. Personally I feel there needs to be a balance. The ultralight rifles in any caliber that has slightly above mild recoil can (for some) be very challenging to shoot accurately. Partially because of the barrel whip and partially because of other factors. When you look at purchasing barrels like Benchmark and Bartlein the steel options are hard to find in any contour lighter than 3B. That is because they know (at least this is what they told me) any barrel lighter in contour than those have diminishing returns in the accuracy department.

So if being lightweight is one of your main concerns Id look into the CF options before buying a #1 or #2 contour. They should offer slightly more rigidity with less barrel whip. Thats just my two cents worth.

Depends on what your expected level of accuracy and maximum distance you’ll shoot are. Lighter guns are harder to shoot as accurately as heavier guns, period. A carbon barrel will be heavier than a no1 contour. If a true ultralight is your goal, a thin steel barrel is the way to go. If you’re wanting to shoot longer distances and don’t mind a little extra weight, I’d go carbon or a heavier steel contour. Plenty of Kimbers and field crafts out there that shoot very well with #1 contours.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not happy about trying a No. 1 barrel. My understanding is they cannot be free floated because all of the warping they experience. I understand that some manufacturers are holding the barrels at the recoil lug and then again near the end of the forestock to stiffen them up. So I can't get over the concept of using a barrel that needs to be held down at various spots. They can't be very good long term right?

No. There are tons of rifles with #1 barrels free floated. There’s also tons of nonsense about barrels heating up and walking, etc. that’s ridiculous as well. A properly stress relieved #1 contour barrel will shot groups just fine until it starts glowing.

I have a Weatherby Mark V Camilla Ultra Lightweight in 6.5 Creed for my backpacking mule deer rifle. It's been fantastic. I've got .4 to .6 moa groups with Barnes LRX 127 grain, TSX 120 grain and Hornady ELDX with three shot groups. About .7 moa or so with Federals Nosler Accubond load 140 grain. Three shot groups are very consistent and hold sub moa out to 500 yards. The barrel heats up fast but that's the only downside for this 5.75 lb rifle.

I feel like the Barrett Fieldcraft rifles solved this really well by full length bedding the barrel. I convinced my dad to get one and every time I handle it I kick myself for not picking one up before they stopped making them.

So I have been looking at a lot of Ultralite rifles from everyone out there it seems like, and it seems as though everyone is using a No.1 barrel or carbon fiber wrapped barrels. Not happy about trying a No. 1 barrel. My understanding is they cannot be free floated because all of the warping they experience. I understand that some manufacturers are holding the barrels at the recoil lug and then again near the end of the forestock to stiffen them up. So I can't get over the concept of using a barrel that needs to be held down at various spots. They can't be very good long term right? Probably am sold on the Carbon wrap barrels and will go with that new technology. Any comments are welcome.
Hey man, I don't know what your requirements are exactly but I can tell you that my pencil-thin 20" barrel on my Savage Lightweight Storm is a routine 3/4" barrel, and sometimes even better. It's free floated. No stupid "pressure point" to worry about. And no carbon wrap. Not sure how Savage did it, but they did. Day in and day out, that tiny little barrel is my most accurate one.

It honestly has become the rifle against which all my other hunting rifles are measured by.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a manners stocked factory barreled 700 Ti in 260 that will absolutely stack them with a load it likes - that’s a little wispy barrel that’s fully floated.
That said I shoot a couple / three, wait a bit, shoot a couple, repeat to 10. With reasonable attention it doesn’t walk when it heats up at all.
Super light rifles are harder for me to shoot well - no extra pounds to dampen bad inputs maybe.

Gunaddict

FNG
I just shot a Christensen Arms Summit Ti, yesterday for a friend. I am doing load development for him. Very light gun, very slick carbon fiber stock. I did have to order a custom front bag for my Sinclair rest, because the stock was to skinny for my front bag. 100 yds 3 shots. Will shoot a 5 shot group group when the weather is better.

Attachments

• 20210131_115132.jpg
    20210131_115132.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 20
ULA and NULA rifles have no problem shooting well. Melvin Forbes is the originator, and still the master, of building ultra light, accurate rifles. He knows where to put weight and where to use stiffness.

Carbon fiber of the same weight as a steel barrel I don't think is any better, that is any stiffer or more accurate.

I think a lot of barrel makers and gunsmiths push hard toward heavy barrel profiles because those are proven to be easier and more consistent to get great groups out of, which reduces their headaches.

Go with a good barrel maker who will stand by the profile you want, and plan to free float all the way. If you decide to add a pressure point later, easy enough.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on your definition of ultralight, Tikka t3x lite is pretty light and lots shoot them very well with high praise. The new savage with proof carbon barrel looks pretty intriguing too

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Weatherby Mark V Camilla Ultra Lightweight in 6.5 Creed for my backpacking mule deer rifle. It's been fantastic. I've got .4 to .6 moa groups with Barnes LRX 127 grain, TSX 120 grain and Hornady ELDX with three shot groups. About .7 moa or so with Federals Nosler Accubond load 140 grain. Three shot groups are very consistent and hold sub moa out to 500 yards. The barrel heats up fast but that's the only downside for this 5.75 lb rifle.
“The barrel heats up fast but that’s the only downside...” couldn’t agree more.

Most considering an ultralight set up have a specific purpose in mind (which usually involves hiking distance with the rifle before engaging game animals). I’d gladly take a sub-moa 3 shot lightweight setup as a rifle like this for that purpose. Keep in mind it’s generally not going to see more than 3 rounds (hopefully not more than 1-2) in succession when used for its intended purpose. If high round count in a single session is a requirement, then probably better off with a second rifle suited for that purpose at the range (will likely have a heavier barrel too).

Glad to hear the Weatherby is shooting so well and fulfilling its intended purpose as a lightweight hunting setup.

“The barrel heats up fast but that’s the only downside...” couldn’t agree more.

Most considering an ultralight set up have a specific purpose in mind (which usually involves hiking distance with the rifle before engaging game animals). I’d gladly take a sub-moa 3 shot lightweight setup as a rifle like this for that purpose. Keep in mind it’s generally not going to see more than 3 rounds (hopefully not more than 1-2) in succession when used for its intended purpose. If high round count in a single session is a requirement, then probably better off with a second rifle suited for that purpose at the range (will likely have a heavier barrel too).

Glad to hear the Weatherby is shooting so well and fulfilling its intended purpose as a lightweight hunting setup.
Oh yeah for sure. I'm not into this whole hybrid target/hunting rifle craze. I have really nice bench rifles that weigh 14lbs and you can shoot all day long, and really nice mountain hunting rifles that weigh 7.5 lbs with the scope/sling. I like to us the proper tool for the job. On mountain hunts where I hike 10 miles a day and might shoot twice, I not trying to be hauling around a target rifle.