Ultralite Setup Help

simpy16

FNG
Looking to get into more backpack hunting, I will not be doing extreme 30+ mile backcountry excursions but would like to start to develop an all around solid setup to give it a go. Hoping to get some help on where to start and what are some good options to explore:

Sleep System:
-Tarp/Bivy/etc.- honestly have no idea where to begin
- sleeping bag- currenly have an older Big Agnes Lost Ranger, hate the zipper placement, I am stomach sleeper and like to have room in the footbox to move around
- Sleeping Pad-
- Pillow- want to be comfortable and this usually requires a decent pillow, anything out there worth looking at and decent on weight?

Cooking:
- Cooking Pot: I have an early JetBoil, anything to look at that better or will that do for now?
- Utensils: I have heard long is better to get at the bottom of pots and Mountain House packs

Pack: Running an Exo K3 6400

Anything else I am forgetting that would be worth looking at?

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Trekking pole supported tents are about as light as going for a tarp and bivy setup. I use the Tarptent Notch with the solid inner, and it's 28.5 ounces. The Durston X-mid, seek outside silex/eolus etc are similar. I wouldn't mind trying a tarp setup for early season stuff though.

Ive got a Underground Quilts Bandit XL quilt, it's the biggest size, rated to 0*, and weighs 36oz. Lots of space for tossing and turning. Not sure it would actually be comfortable at 0*. I might look at going back to a bag, I do miss the hood in cold weather, but I love the space.

I love the Thermarest Neoair Xtherm pad, weighs 15.4oz. Super warm, packs small, and no durability issues yet. You could save a couple ounces and go with the Xlite pad if you won't be in cold weather, but the bottom fabric is thicker on the Xtherm(70D vs 30D), so I feel the weight might be worth the trade off just for durability as well.

I just ball up my puffy for a pillow, but will likely look into a proper pillow for next year.

You could save a decent amount of weight on your cook system by going with a 500-750ml ti pot, and a pocket rocket or similar stove. I use the Toaks 650ml pot, with MSR pocket rocket deluxe stove. Weight for both combined is 5.5oz

Get a long handled titanium spoon. Toaks makes them, I got some off brand one on Amazon. Way better for freeze dried meals. I like a spoon better than a spork too.

jolemons

WKR
After diving into back backpacking, I spent a lot of time and money on lightening up my pack. The Backpacking Light forum is a great resource and their great swap has a much wider selection of lightweight backpacking gear than Rokslide. That being said, the past few years I've spent a lot of money to increase comfort and convenience. Saving 5-8 lbs isn't worth the loss of comfort and convenience features to me any longer.

If you're relatively new to backpacking, I would purchase proven gear that maybe doesn't fit into the ultralight category. This would allow you to familiarize yourself with areas your are and are not willing to sacrifice comfort and convenience. Most of your weight will be in empty pack, tent and sleep setup, so focus here first.

Tarptent models, Z packs, HMG, etc are great shelters, but there is always something like the BA Copper Spur or MSR Hubba. I would spend some time reading the Backpacking Light forums and maybe grab a used shelter there before spending big money on new. Also, try a quilt and a bag to see what works best for your sleeping style.

I wouldn't worry at all about ounce and gram counting on the smaller items like the Jetboil until you think you want to take the deep dive into the ultralight world.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree with everything jolemons said.
I was a backpacker long before I was a hunter. While I definitely see an advantage to shaving pack weight, I definitely prefer to sacrifice a bit to be comfortable - especially when it's cold and/or wet.

Most important to me: warm, dry, comfortable clothes. I like wool socks and baselayers, and comfortable boots and pack. Anything that makes regular contact with your body should get the most attention IMO.

As for other gear, I'd suggest using what you currently have, and start filling in the voids with relatively inexpensive gear just to get going cheap. You'll definitely find gear preferences and probably want to change it up as you go more often.

Tent: I use a standard backpacking tent. I love having dry space for my boots and some gear. I also love having bug nets (helps with mosquitos and condensation). Most floors are super thin, so I always take a footprint. My 2 person tent is around 3.5-4 lbs w/ footprint.

Pillow isn't necessary for me. I normally use a small stuff sack with my extra clothes as a pillow. I have used an inflatable pillow when I thought it was going to be wet trip. That worked ok, I guess, and it was like $8 on sale.

I like the jetboil type systems. Fast and efficient. I woudn't bother changing it out yet. A long spork is nice for freeze dried meals.

Don't forget a water filter of some sort. I have used a Sawyer squeeze for a number of years. It's ok. The bags it comes with suck and are easy to get holes in. Also any fibrous filter you have to worry about freezing water that will destroy the filter element effectiveness. I'd probably be looking at an MSR or similar gravity filter system next time. It's nice to have both dirty and clean bags. Light and small when not in use, but allows you to carry a lot of extra water to camp if needed.

Then of course you have the other essentials: first aid, light, fire, extra food, navigation, etc. You know the drill.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Good for you man. Ultralight backpacking hunting (although expensive to get started) is incredibly fun and rewarding. Everyone is different and what works for me might not work for you but I'll give you a couple ideas to look at:
-Shelter: I think something along the lines of the Locus Gear Khafra is the way to go. Spacious, floorless, single trekking pole supported. I actually MYOG(ed) my own Dyneema pyramid shelter that with stakes and guy lines tips the scale at 15.13oz
-Sleeping Bag: I'm using an Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt. It's light but I don't think its anywhere near its advertised temperature rating. I'll stick with a quilt style but look elsewhere for my next one.
-Pad: I don't hunt in the bitter cold so started using the Thermarest Uberlite with a Gossamer Gear thinlight foam pad underneath that doubles as my glassing seat.
-Pillow: I use a cheap inflatable. Nothing special but weighs next to nothing.

Cooking: I haven't used a stove on a backcountry hunt in forever. I go with a stoveless menu that works well for me.
Looks like you have a great pack. Happy hunting.

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Pillow: I just use the stuff sack that I put my extra clothes in and bring a pillow case from home to put over it at bedtime. Worked great for me and I didn't have to spend the $ on a blow up pillow

Wolf13

FNG
Sleep System:
-Tarp/Bivy/etc.- honestly have no idea where to begin
- sleeping bag- currenly have an older Big Agnes Lost Ranger, hate the zipper placement, I am stomach sleeper and like to have room in the footbox to move around
- Sleeping Pad-
- Pillow- want to be comfortable and this usually requires a decent pillow, anything out there worth looking at and decent on weight?

Cooking:
- Cooking Pot: I have an early JetBoil, anything to look at that better or will that do for now?
- Utensils: I have heard long is better to get at the bottom of pots and Mountain House packs

Pack: Running an Exo K3 6400

Anything else I am forgetting that would be worth looking at?
I come from the world of ultralight backpacking where ounces are measured and in some cases to the extreme. You don't always have to give up comfort to save weight, but you will often have to give up money.

Tarp/Bivy - a few others mentioned it, but think about if you'll be comfortable with this type of set up. Really it's more of a mental thing than anything else IMO. I have both a Nemo 2 person that I take when I don't want to think as well as a yama gear tarp and borah bivy if I'm counting ounces. I've actually started to only take the bivy if the weather says I can. Borah is a great bivy and they are willing to do custom things which is nice. I changed the zipper on mine and also added to guy lines for the head portion to help prop it up. Amazing and would buy another in a heartbeat.

Bag - go with a quilt. I was a slow adopter, but not can't recommend them enough especially for stomach sleepers or people who like more room. You don't lose anything in terms of retaining heat and it feels more like sheets on a bed. I have a katabatic though there are a lot of companies making them now.

Pad - I started with a light weight blow up and it was "OK". Ended up with the nemo switchback (think foam pad) and cut it down to knee length (use my pack, or nothing, for my legs/feet. I now very much prefer the foam pads as I felt the blowup ones had to be too "hard" to not feel the ground. The blow up ones come with the cons of leaks/popping and the mold that can grow if you blow them with your mouth.

Pillow - goose feat gear makes a small down pillow. I carry one along with a blowup pillow. Can't recall where I got the blowup, bit it isn't fancy ($5). At all. But it does the trick to give a bit of support. This is hit an miss and highly personal. Some people just use a stuff sack and their clothes. I did that and it wasn't for me. Tried just the down pillow with clothes and same thing. Adding the air pillow was key for me.

Cooking: Someone else mentioned going no cook. I go no cook 90% of the time, but if I am cooking snow peak (any brand will work) titanium pot, and one of the light weight stoves (soto or snowpeak). Jetboils are heavy, but I wouldn't replace it until you are at that point. You will know you're at that point... Yes, long spork.

There are the big 3: shelter, pack, sleeping bag/pad. After that you start looking at the little things that you probably don't need or can save 3-4 ounces by buying something new. That 3-4 ounces adds up over all the items.

Beendare

WKR
Looking to get into more backpack hunting, I will not be doing extreme 30+ mile backcountry excursions but would like to start to develop an all around solid setup to give it a go. Hoping to get some help on where to start and what are some good options to explore:
My take;
Sleep System:
-Tarp/Bivy/etc.- Tarptent or tipi. I typically cut a pole for my tipi when I get to a spot.

- sleeping bag- BA is Chinese junk....get a quality down bag which BTW can be unzipped and used as a quilt when its warm. Western Mountaineering is the top of the heap- Feathered Friends, Marmot and a few others but get 800 fill or better.

- Sleeping Pad- best 2 mnfgs are Thermarest and Exped. Get a model with an R value over 4.5.

- Pillow- Stuff sack with your clothing inside works....or many options at REI.

Cooking:
Stove; Butane all metal version....you don't want a stove with plastic parts in the backcountry. I've seen 3 melt down.

Cooking Pot: An aluminum pot with the fins to make it more efficient is good, or Ti pot- depends on whether you cook or just boil water for dehydrated meals

- Utensils: a cheap Long plastic spoon works...or Ti.

Pack: I like the Exo packs, Kifaru is comparable.

I have gone from uber light....and settled on a system now that sacrifices a little extra weight for comfort.

_____

Last edited:

gustafsj

Lil-Rokslider
I too have done the ultralight backpacking thing prior to backcountry hunting. Ultralight is much more about your mindset and learning the skills to make it work. For example a tarp/bivy is going to be lighter than a tent, but requires more skill and practice to use it safely and effectively.

Also using a quilt in lieu of a sleeping bag saves weight, but again takes practice to reduce drafts and good luck if you toss around a lot at night! Using a quilt inside a bivy certainly helps with the drafts, but adds the possibility of condensation. Similarly using down instead of synthetic saves weight, but greater care and awareness is required to prevent condensation build-up, keeping it dry and tearing the fabric and loosing down.

Generally ultralight systems require more time for set-up and use. At the end of a long hunting day, is it worth saving a few ounces in your cook kit for an ultralight set-up or just bring the jet boil that weighs more and you can have hot water in a few minutes.

Dual use is key. For example, your sleep system can be used for extra insulation for when sitting around in lieu of a heavier jacket. I use quilts down to about 25-30F, but switch to a sleeping bag below that. My quilts are synthetic as they handle moisture better and is a minor weight penalty over down at those temp ratings whereas my sleeping bag is down because I typically only use that when everything is frozen and it has less chance of coming in contact with water.

Trekking poles are another dual use item and is used for poles for my tent/tarp. Stuff sack for my sleeping bag is also the pump for my sleeping pad and so on...

Point of all of this is that ultralight takes practice, lots of research along with trial and error. Best to practice in more moderate temps where the risk is lower.

Backpackinglight.com is a great resource and community for your research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ty_ms3

FNG
If you want a really light pillow check out the half ounce pillow from DutchWare for like $2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lilchpin

FNG
Ultralight tents are great if hunting solo, but I tend to use a lightweight (4lb) 3 person dome tent while hunting with a partner. Can split the load of poles and fabric and you then have so much more room for activities and gear while each person is still carrying about the same weight as carrying 2 ultralight tents