ultrlight cots

keller

WKR
in the market for an ultralight cot.their are some old threads where guys bought some different ones.looking for feedback pros cons etc... price not a huge issue as it is hard to put a price on a good nights sleep. thanks john

I’m in the same boat; seeking one for use in my Kifaru 8 man while base/truck side camping. Seen some at reasonable price points but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I’ll likely try out this one unless there is a better option:

brsnow

WKR
I’m in the same boat; seeking one for use in my Kifaru 8 man while base/truck side camping. Seen some at reasonable price points but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I’ll likely try out this one unless there is a better option:

That ones is comfortable, clunky to put together but doesn’t take too long.

I also have their ready lite cot, more expensive but extremely light/packable . Really impressed with it.

I enjoy sleeping on both

OP
K

keller

WKR
Looks like alps is 9.5 lbs vs 2.5 to 3 lbs with helinox or thermarest.backcountry and moosejaw have 20% off one full price item. Which cuts the cost significantly they handle all 3.I have some alps products and like them.a little heavier but built well and cheaper.

Roll-a-Cot been using them for 23 years with no failures or complaints from anyone they make great LW tables too

bmf0713

WKR
I was looking at some on amazon and they have some lightweight ones for under $100. I’ll probably go with the thermarest when I buy one.

Been using the Thermarest Luxurylite cot the passed couple of years and it’s been great. Put my Xtherm pad on it and it’s been super comfy. Makes up for some minor uneven ground issues. Only downfall I’ve seen so far....2.5# weight penalty. That’s the only thing I dislike about it.

Another vote for Thermarest Luxurylite. I've used one for a few years and have been very satisfied.

Been using the Thermarest Luxurylite cot the passed couple of years and it’s been great. Put my Xtherm pad on it and it’s been super comfy. Makes up for some minor uneven ground issues. Only downfall I’ve seen so far....2.5# weight penalty. That’s the only thing I dislike about it.

Hard to argue the lightweight options....

Ever consider the cot liner? Still comfortable without pad?

Does a cot increase or decrease r value or pad / heat loss to the ground? I have limited experience with them since I left .mil 1000 years ago. I inherited 3 mil cots from a buddy but have used them very little.

Question, why use a light weight backpacking type cot for truck camping?

brsnow

WKR
Does a cot increase or decrease r value or pad / heat loss to the ground? I have limited experience with them since I left .mil 1000 years ago. I inherited 3 mil cots from a buddy but have used them very little.

Question, why use a light weight backpacking type cot for truck camping?

I use an ultralight because it packs the size of a lunchbox and space is premium in my truck. I use a light pad with the cot and am very warm.

OP
K

keller

WKR
I just ordered the thermarest and the helinox both lite models from backcountry they gave me 20% off on both I told them I wanted to try them out. set them up and sleep on them to see which one would work.they said fine as long as you do it indoors and don't get them dirty you can send both or one back whatever works. 2 day shipping.will post a report. john

piercej

FNG
I've spent two weeks straight sleeping comfortably on a Thermarest Ultralight. You can play with the number of poles to adjust the firmness and I put a pad on top when it's cold. I use the cot coasters to protect the tent floor but not sure if they are necessary. It doesn't put you that high of the ground so you don't lose too much vertical room in your tent.

jmez

WKR
I have a Thermarest. It doesn't do much for me. I packed it in once and haven't taken it back. I didn't notice any difference with the cot vs just sleeping on a pad. Both of my hunting partners won't leave them at the truck they love them.

One has a Thermarest and the other a Helinox. The Helinox is better made, far easier to set up and more comfortable to lay on. The one with the Thermarest replaced it with a Helinox over the summer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
Because my luxurylite suspends me, I don't need cushioning from a pad. So a light closed cell pad is just for insulation. I'm 60, chronic lumbar and shoulders, sleep way better on the cot than on a pad on the ground.

I was fed up with air mats going flat on me, so I switched to a cot about three years ago. started with a thermarest luxury lite and was content with it until I tried a helinox. I haven't used my thermarest since, its been sitting in the garage for the past two years. The heliox is a better cot in every way.

To start with, they are about the same weight, and its a "penalty" I'll gladly take for getting a comfortable nights sleep.

The helinox is way easier to set up as well, it has about 1/3 the parts and they are all connected unlike the thermarest with all of its pieces minus the long support bars being individual parts.

The helinox also sits higher and is a sturdier design. With the thermarest I found that I would touch the ground, now matter how I set up the cot. Seemed a bit pointless to me.

I own two helinox cots, and i won't travel in the backcountry with out them.

Luxury lite has worked well for me. At 6’4” I went with the xl version. It’s wider and longer but comes with a weight penalty compared to the standard version.

I've had ONE LuxuryLite cot for 10 years and it's been on a lot of hard hunts. Many, many nights on uneven ground from rocks to tundra moss. I've used it to the point the bows have a bit of set to them. The top sheet has holes and abrasions which I've taped with Tyvek tape. That sucker just refuses to die and I respect that in a product. I bought it way before Therm-a-Rest bought them out. It's been comfortable and plenty enough cot for my 6' frame. I put a good pad on it and that's it.

The Helinox cot looks good. I've got their chair (9 years now) and love it. I think the H-cot is worth considering.

Because I had a few minutes to study this:

Helinox Lite 2.8 lb 23.5 x 73 4 cross bows

Helinox One 5.4 lb 27 x 75 3 cross bows

Luxury Lite R 3.0 lb 24 x 72 6 cross bows

Luxury Lite L 3.4 lb 26 x 77 6 cross bows

One possibly significant difference in the design of the 2 cots is the spread (width) of the feet which support the cots. The LL cot feet are at the full width of the cot top. The H cot feet are narrower (closer side-to-side). I can't say it makes any difference, because I've not owned or compared the H cot to the LL. The H cot images show the cross bows appearing to make ground contact, while the LL bows ride above the ground. Again....no proof it matters.