ultrlight cots

hunt1up

WKR
I have a Helinox Cot One and I used it 10 days last season. It's awesome. It assembles easily, doesn't give much, and is spacious.

I also tried it side-by-side with the Cot Lite model. It is much lighter. Lighter material, thinner tubes, smaller legs. While it is also very nice, I'm planning on taking the weight penalty and keeping the Cot One. It is almost a coin flip though. They're both very nice but very different.

If you count ounces go with the Cot Lite. If you want more support, go with the Cot One.

I've also owned the Thermarest and both Helinox models are much nicer in my opinion. Faster assembly by a long shot, better design, and more robust construction.

hammerguy

FNG
Can I run a cot without a pad? Wouldn't want the weight of both but like the idea of a bit of elevation. Seems like some heat and comfort (for this belly sleeper) would be lost.

Can I run a cot without a pad? Wouldn't want the weight of both but like the idea of a bit of elevation. Seems like some heat and comfort (for this belly sleeper) would be lost.
in the years I've been using (and supplying) the Roll A Cots I've slept more often w/o a pad than with, works just fine for me - there is a reason outfitters use Roll A Cot products FYI …..

OP
K

keller

WKR
I have a Helinox Cot One and I used it 10 days last season. It's awesome. It assembles easily, doesn't give much, and is spacious.

I also tried it side-by-side with the Cot Lite model. It is much lighter. Lighter material, thinner tubes, smaller legs. While it is also very nice, I'm planning on taking the weight penalty and keeping the Cot One. It is almost a coin flip though. They're both very nice but very different.

If you count ounces go with the Cot Lite. If you want more support, go with the Cot One.

I've also owned the Thermarest and both Helinox models are much nicer in my opinion. Faster assembly by a long shot, better design, and more robust construction.

do you have the leg kit for the cot one? or see a place where you may use it?

I have the leg kit for the cot one. Only used the legs a few times, as they aren't practical in a small shelter like the Tut. In the back of the truck and in the wall tent, they work great. Gives a place to sit, and store gear underneath.

hunt1up

WKR
do you have the leg kit for the cot one? or see a place where you may use it?

I don’t have the leg kit mostly since I’m always in the tipi tents. It would work fine in larger shelters, and if I was in my 12 man tipi with only a few guys I’d probably get the leg kit. I don’t find myself needing it though. In a wall tent type tent it would be nice, in a tipi style shelter, no need.

I’ve been using a Helinox Lite now for a couple years and all I can say is, it sets up in a snap, is about the lightest cot available, and is very comfortable. I don’t use it for every outing or hunt, but I always get a good nights sleep when I do use it. Mine weighs 44.2 oz. in the stuff sack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fbhandler

WKR
I’ve been using a Helinox Lite now for a couple years and all I can say is, it sets up in a snap, is about the lightest cot available, and is very comfortable. I don’t use it for every outing or hunt, but I always get a good nights sleep when I do use it. Mine weighs 44.2 oz. in the stuff sack.

Not wanting to hijack this thread but I’m considering going to a cot, probably the Helinox. I currently use an xtherm and a quilt, my question for those with experience is, can I ditch my pad and use the cot only or is the heat loss going to be significant ??

rodney482

WKR
I have the long/wide luxurylite. Roughly 2#
It has served its purpose well. Would probably sell it because we no longer spike.

Not wanting to hijack this thread but I’m considering going to a cot, probably the Helinox. I currently use an xtherm and a quilt, my question for those with experience is, can I ditch my pad and use the cot only or is the heat loss going to be significant ??
I would say that if you're using it in temps colder than the mid 60's, you'll probably want some sort of pad. I use a cut down, 6-7 oz., Z-lite Sol pad with mine and it's worked fine in temps down to the mid 30's. The only problem I've ever had is when/if I come off the pad in the middle of the night, it can get really cold really quick. I've found that the best way for me to deal with this is to either strap my pad to my cot, or use an UL bivy to contain everything and use that on top of the cot.

I would say that if you're using it in temps colder than the mid 60's, you'll probably want some sort of pad. I use a cut down, 6-7 oz., Z-lite Sol pad with mine and it's worked fine in temps down to the mid 30's. The only problem I've ever had is when/if I come off the pad in the middle of the night, it can get really cold really quick. I've found that the best way for me to deal with this is to either strap my pad to my cot, or use an UL bivy to contain everything and use that on top of the cot.
a blanket over the cot that hangs down to near the ground works just as well as anything "insulated" as it's just air flow that allows the cold to permeate

a blanket over the cot that hangs down to near the ground works just as well as anything "insulated" as it's just air flow that allows the cold to permeate

I just thought about doing this on my next outing. I have a cut down pad that I have been using and it pulls a double duty for both sleeping and glassing, but using my woobie to cover my cot would work really well also.

I had a little Cabelas credit and bought the Thermarest. They didn't have the Helinox.
I spent two nights on it scouting two weeks ago. It's worth the extra 2.8lb. I'm 5`8 200 and side sleep. Ran a Exped DownMat with it and my EE quilt. I really don't see myself leaving it behind any time soon. I usually pack into a spike camp and don't move around much from there. And it's only a few miles in. The nice thing is the piece of mind of not worrying about poking a hole in my mat.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Assuming your talking about a blanket that is also covering the person sleeping on the cot? I think that would work ok in moderate temps but I still think a person would have issues when the ground temp is colder.

Trial153

WKR
I had the thermarest and honestly it didnt float my boat. I tried both the regular and wide version and neither are worth the weight for me. For base camp I use a couple outfitter cots which are soild.
However if I am packing in or flying and weight is a premium the thermarest is a no go for me. In fact I just sold them this summer on Ebay

Assuming your talking about a blanket that is also covering the person sleeping on the cot? I think that would work ok in moderate temps but I still think a person would have issues when the ground temp is colder.
not a blanket that also covers the sleeper - it is simply to block air from circulating beneath the sleeper - I have "covers" I sewed from 10 oz canvas that just slip over each cot and hang to the cot's feet, you can still put things under pretty easily - to be honest when we all used to have duffels that just slid under the cots I think it was nearly as efficient, we have tried the lower closer to the ground cots but honestly they are not nearly as convenient for putting on boots and such or just casually sitting on - the ONLY downside to the Roll a Cots we've found is the straight feet/legs can sink into the ground and empty tuna cans solved that

not a blanket that also covers the sleeper - it is simply to block air from circulating beneath the sleeper - I have "covers" I sewed from 10 oz canvas that just slip over each cot and hang to the cot's feet, you can still put things under pretty easily - to be honest when we all used to have duffels that just slid under the cots I think it was nearly as efficient, we have tried the lower closer to the ground cots but honestly they are not nearly as convenient for putting on boots and such or just casually sitting on - the ONLY downside to the Roll a Cots we've found is the straight feet/legs can sink into the ground and empty tuna cans solved that

I think we’re kind of talking about two different things here. When the OP asked about a light wt. cot, I just assumed he was looking for something to backpack in, like to a spike camp. I use a Helinox for that and the one that I have sits very close to the ground. Bringing a heavy blanket for insulation purposes, when a person could just bring a 7-8 oz. pad, kind of defeats the purpose IMO.
On the other hand, for a base camp/drop camp cot, I like to bring a nice big, heavier (and cheaper), cot that I can use to sit on, store things under, etc., and wt. is a non-factor. Typically, having good insulation is also a non-factor since I always have a heat source in my base camp tent/shelter, but I always bring a nice big, heavier, pad as well.

Last edited: