Unable to develop load for rifle

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
This thread has been a great one to follow. The potential with that bullet in that gun has is pretty well established. Are you able to pick up a box of generic cup and core bullets and give those a try? There was another thread recently where a .243 wasn't shooting the new 90 gr Hornady CX, they were keyholing in the target. Obviously yours aren't keyholing but that flyer could be a sign of instability. The fact you shot at 500 yards and the shots were 2 inches apart says the bullet may not be fully stabilizing at shorter range.

Bullets are not going to magically stabilize later on down range. They are either stable coming out or they aren’t.

IDspud. Have you tried shooting groups with your magnification lower? Shooting a great group at 500 might be because you can’t see it as well and you are slapping the trigger when it looks perfect at closer range.

When bullets are in the barrel, they stabilize around the axis of the bore. Once they leave the barrel they stabilize around their own axis. The bullet is not unstable, but changing from bore controlled/contained rotation about the bore axis to rotating on the bullet's own axis is a variable. With longer bullets it is more likely this may affect MOA and tighten up at longer range. They take a bit to stabilize or "go to sleep" (reduce yaw) and may shoot tighter MOA at longer range than say 100 yds.

Do some reading for yourself, plenty out there about it. This is more specific to longer heavier bullets being more affected, if there is a discrepancy in MOA. Doesn't happen all the time, but it's there. Call bullshit all you want.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
When bullets are in the barrel, they stabilize around the axis of the bore. Once they leave the barrel they stabilize around their own axis. The bullet is not unstable, but changing from bore controlled/contained rotation about the bore axis to rotating on the bullet's own axis is a variable. With longer bullets it is more likely this may affect MOA and tighten up at longer range. They take a bit to stabilize or "go to sleep" (reduce yaw) and may shoot tighter MOA at longer range than say 100 yds.

I think it's you that needs to do some reading. Bullets don't GET more accurate down range. I have seen people get more accurate but not the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Do some reading for yourself, plenty out there about it. This is more specific to longer heavier bullets being more affected, if there is a discrepancy in MOA. Doesn't happen all the time, but it's there. Call bullshit all you want.
I don't need to read about this subject. Targets tell the truth and I shoot quite a bit.

Sorry to hear about your struggles, I had similar fights with 2 $2k factory rifles (first was warrantied). Eventually paying someone to put a new barrel on it solved the issue. It seems like you might be a variable if other dude is a little more consistent.

Some barrels are just picky. Even expensive ones.

MattB

WKR
Copy the factory ammo.
Yes. If the OP hasn't figured out what bullet is in the factory and tried to buy those as a component, he is missing the bigger picture. Approximate the velocity of the factory load with H1000.

Redneck09

FNG
Glass bedding made my rifles less erratic with their groups. Now every bullet I try groups good and hits close to the same point of impact. Find a bit of bedding compound makes it possible to shoot the bullet that you want to shoot.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Bullets do not shoot tighter groups at longer range than they do at shorter ranges- this is a myth. It’s been proven repeatedly through acoustic targets and shoot through paper targets with rifles that people swore “went to sleep”.

Think about it- a bullet deviates off center by say 3°-, by what magic is the bullet course correcting and turning midflight to come back to center?

Bullets do not shoot tighter groups at longer range than they do at shorter ranges- this is a myth. It’s been proven repeatedly through acoustic targets and shoot through paper targets with rifles that people swore “went to sleep”.

Think about it- a bullet deviates off center by say 3°-, by what magic is the bullet course correcting and turning midflight to come back to center?
ED8AB42B-4B12-432D-918A-F1A83CE4DC86.gif

Appreciate the information. Where is that study that shows acoustic targets showing this over a variety of rifles? I've talked to some guys and read about it and they can't explain why groups tighten up MOA wise at longer range. So the "going to sleep" premise made sense. But yeah, with studies out there can't refute the evidence.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the information. Where is that study that shows acoustic targets showing this over a variety of rifles? I've talked to some guys and read about it and they can't explain why groups tighten up MOA wise at longer range. So the "going to sleep" premise made sense. But yeah, with studies out there can't refute the evidence.

Think about the last part.... how is a bullet that is off target at 100 yards going to correct and start closing on target at 1000 yards?

My guess is that they don't shoot enough to really gauge what a group really is at one distance. Then shoot a few at a longer range..... a few at the longer distance are a tighter group by chance (adjusted for distance of course, the actual measurement of the group won't likely be tighter)

Lawnboi

WKR
One reason you may hear this is the shooter dosnt know how to dial out parallax at 100 that isn’t a big deal farther out.

An example of a “shooter” getting better at longer range.

Mojave

WKR
Not going to read 5 pages of this, but I find that sometimes a .308 barrel will only really shoot 180's or in the worst case 165/168's. Rare but it happens.

sacox31s

FNG
Buy another 300WM. Compare the two rifles’ accuracy. Sell the less accurate rifle through consignment. Every time I buy a rifle that doesn’t shoot well for me or I dont like it for whatever reason then I’m not going to waste my time with it.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
One reason you may hear this is the shooter dosnt know how to dial out parallax at 100 that isn’t a big deal farther out.

An example of a “shooter” getting better at longer range.
I agree with this and I think inconsistent cheek weld also contributes.

Weldor

WKR
No. It’s bs. Change bullets or powder. If a rifle does not shoot a bullet/powder combo acceptably, no amount of incremental tinkering will result in a stable load with that combo. You’re wasting time and money.
Agreed!