Uncompahgre and Super Down owners...thoughts?

I would like to invest in a good insulating jacket. I have looked at both the Kuiu SD and the First Lite Puffy. I wear both brands during my Early Elk hunts in Eastern WA. Mid to low 40's during morning hours and mid 80's later. I plan on using it mostly glassing during the cold mornings and when the sun starts going down. How do they compare when it comes to blocking wind and keeping you warm? How well do they pack down and how durable are they? I don't plan on bushwacking while wearing them but I don't want a snag to ruin my jacket either. It would probably spend half or more of it's time in my pack if that makes any difference. Thoughts?

IdahoElk

WKR
My Super Down Jacket packs really small in its own pocket.I would never wear it as an outer layer busting through brush as it not made for that and would get destroyed,as an under layer it works great in the conditions you described.My favorite way to wear it when it's cold is to wear a hard shell(rain jacket) over top,it helps keep the warmth in and acts like a wind breaker.

Gorp2007

WKR
I've never owned a Super Down, but the Uncompahgre works very well at cutting the wind and keeping the elements at bay (for a puffy). Last winter I wore my out when it was in the teens and winds were 20+ mph and I was pleasantly shocked at how well it blocked the wind. It's got a DWR coating to help fight off light precipitation and it's synthetic so it'll handle moisture better if it does get wet. I can't speak to relative warmth (again, I've only owned the Uncompahgre), but most people will agree that the Uncompaghre is more durable while the Super Down is lighter and compresses better.

ianpadron

WKR
I've owned 2 uncompaghres and sold both, just weren't warm enough for me.

I know most guys rant and rave about them but I'm way warmer in any of the 850-900 fill down sweaters/jackets out there.

In my experience, the down vs. synthetic argument does not apply when we're using DWR coated down, that stuff is legit.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Boudreaux

Lil-Rokslider
I held an uncompahgre up to the sun to look at the down in it. Not good, looked like it had zero down in it. Was NOT impressed, I went with the Kenia instead of the SD, just because of synthetic vs down, I didn't want all my gear in down.

Thanks,
Boswell

Felix40

WKR
I held an uncompahgre up to the sun to look at the down in it. Not good, looked like it had zero down in it. Was NOT impressed, I went with the Kenia instead of the SD, just because of synthetic vs down, I didn't want all my gear in down.

Thanks,
Boswell

Haha. Could be because there isnt any down in it! Are you talking about the super down? ;)

Last edited:

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a number of down and synthetic jackets from a number of top brands, including the Uncompahgre. I was a skeptic of converting to synthetic, but after using the Uncompahgre on 3 extended backpack hunts over a season the Uncompahgre won me over. It is a great jacket on all accounts. Good warmth to weight ration, packable and can take a beating.

If you are looking for a lightweight insulating layer, don't overlook the Cirrus Puffy. Impressively warm for its weight, and you can layer it under the Uncompahgre later in the season.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't speak to the super down but I'm pretty fond of my uncompahgre. It's very warm for weight and I like that it's water repellant to a degree, I don't even break out rain gear unless it's pretty heavy down pour or sustained rain for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my $.02

I love the superdown. It's warm, blocks winds, and packs really small is coated enough to keep me from getting into the pack for the rain jacket for the quick CO rain storms. Get the hood. However, it's loud. So it's just for warming up and keeping warm, rather than stalking, in my opinion. It's thin, but tough enough, especially if you aren't planning on busting through brush.

The uncompahgre is a little bigger to pack, but other than that, it's warm, and blocks wind. It's probably not as warm, but to me, it's a little thicker and tougher. Another thing to think about is that the synthetic will be warm if it gets soaked, so if you don't carry rain gear, then you may want to go that route depending on where you hunt.

To be honest, it's a tough call. Good luck with your decision. Both are good options.

These 2 jackets are completely different and designed for 2 different hunting scenarios. They should not be compared to each other.

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
I have both a prefer the Uncompahgre. The superdown is loud! I mean that thing sounds like a bag of Lay's! Does pack small and weighs almost nothing though. Superdown is good, just loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
These 2 jackets are completely different and designed for 2 different hunting scenarios.

Can you explain the two scenarios for which each would be used?

I had both jackets but got rid of them both. The Uncompahgre wasn't warm for me at all, and you can find similar down jackets for a lot cheaper than the SD.

boom

WKR
i think the FL jacket is better if you want to wear it more than occasionally as an outer layer. i borrowed one, when i was freezing and it is a great jacket. it didnt comform under my soft shell (at the time it was the 90% jacket) that well. it bulked up in spots and felt "stiffer". maybe a Med, would have worked better, i dont know.

my Kuiu jacket is the better underlayer. it has "skinny arms" and fits under my soft shell better. it packs down tighter and smaller. i have the hoody version. i wear it under my soft shell all the time. current soft shell is the FL offering.. if i had a complaint, the hoodie rides high on occasion if my soft shell pushes it up.

i dont think you could choose wrong here.

jm1607

WKR
My FL Puffy is the best jacket I've ever owned.. Lightweight, rain resistant, nearly wind proof, great fitting, not quiet but not loud.. Does everything for under 20oz! Sometimes I have to steal it back from the wife lol

The Super down is fragile, not wind resistant at all, not as warm and way louder... If you are a super duper oz counter it might be better, but for a few oz more I'd take the FL any day. If you run the FL as a mid and outer layer combined it will weigh way less anyway. It's also a better mid-layer than the FL, but the FL isn't designed to be a mid-layer so it's kind of apples and oranges. It packs a little bit better too but who really cares lol

Unless you're going to run a soft shell over the SD I'd sell it or leave it at home. If you don't want to run a soft shell, I would stick with your FL puffy as an outer insulation layer..

OP
O
Thanks for all the great replies guys. For those of you that own the Unconfoomabagrahage, how would you rate the durability of it? It sounds like it might be a good candidate to replace my soft shell (Guide DCS Jacket) and fulfill the roll of puffy at the same time. I hunt where there are alot of snags and thorny bushes and my soft shell works wonderfully for shrugging off pretty much everything I can walk through. It would be great if I could kill 2 birds with one stone but that almost seems too good to be true.

Can you explain the two scenarios for which each would be used?

I had both jackets but got rid of them both. The Uncompahgre wasn't warm for me at all, and you can find similar down jackets for a lot cheaper than the SD.

If you want an outer layer the FL is the better option. If you want something that will spend most of the time in your pack to pull out when glassing the Kuiu is probably better. Its also better as a layer under a soft shell or rain jacket.

As far as performance like warmth you will get different opinions.

I sold my FL. It was just too bulky for something that was in my pack 90% of the time. I agree, lots of good down jackets out there for less than a Super Down. I only bought it because it was cheap off the classifieds.

Bulldawg

WKR
Thanks for all the great replies guys. For those of you that own the Unconfoomabagrahage, how would you rate the durability of it? It sounds like it might be a good candidate to replace my soft shell (Guide DCS Jacket) and fulfill the roll of puffy at the same time. I hunt where there are alot of snags and thorny bushes and my soft shell works wonderfully for shrugging off pretty much everything I can walk through. It would be great if I could kill 2 birds with one stone but that almost seems too good to be true.

To answer your question, no i wouldn't use it as a replacement to a soft shell, 1. It is very durable but not meant to be busting through thorns and brush because it is a lightweight paddy and doesn't have a thick outer layer. 2 it be way too hot for that in my opinion.

The FL is better than the Kuiu, blocks wind, breaths a lot better and doesn't get clammy when you're wearing it, the Kuiu never seemed to keep me warm probably because it let too much wind come through. Also I want a jacket to put on on the outside of everything, the superdown doesnt fit wel over my other layers like a soft shell or fleece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I have both and can't imagine picking my FL for any backpacking trips. It is a better outer layer for busting brush though and potentially more water resistant.

I have both and can't imagine picking my FL for any backpacking trips. It is a better outer layer for busting brush though and potentially more water resistant.
I'm the opposite. I won't take down anymore unless it's a desert trip. The 4 oz are well worth not having to worry about a bit of moisture buggering up my puffy. The FL is crazy warm, wind resistant, and handles perspiration and outside moisture very well. The only advantages to down are weight and compressibility.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk