Unconventional tactics for elk?

SQK

FNG
Hey gang, long time lurker first time poster. So season has been over for me for nearly a month and a half now where i live and i've been spending lots of time recently reflecting on yet another year with an unpunched elk tag. I do well with deer but elk have been my unicorn (I know , i know its cliche, just like the many masses of unsuccessful hunters chasing elk, but every year I commit my whole september and half of october to chasing elk and have done so for better than a decade), i've put in the time year after year and live close to an area that has (some) elk but they are under a lot of pressure and seldom seen, even more seldom killed. Our elk are pure bush elk, just before the foothills mostly dark timber and they seldom show their faces in cutblocks or openings during daylight hours. glassing for them is impossible due to no sight lines due to fairly thick bush. I'm starting to figure out the type of places they like to hang out or move through, but still struggle to put the puzzle together. I have found a pocket in a river bottom that seems to consistently hold elk but after 2 years of hunting it unsuccessfully, continually trying new ways to get into them. i know why they are there now. All the prime spots to see them or to punch into where they are is heavily timbered and have very fickle winds, and often swirly and seldom consistent and if its consistent its not the right direction to make an approach. There are almost no ways to enter where they're at without prevailing wind or thermals blowing your scent into them. There is a few lease roads that approach the river valley in a few spots on either side of the river but they are several miles apart up/down river. The river is an intermediate river with spots that are 6' deep and spots you couldnt get a canoe through, theyre so shallow. The prevailing wind typically come out of the west and goes down river to the east. I've been raking my brain about ways to access the spots where they are at without doing what all the hordes of other guys are doing. Like a sneaky, undiscovered back-way in to punch into areas the elk feel secure but the rest of the road hunters or half-assers arent able or willing to access. I tried a solo canoe hunt last year on this river and it was an.... adventure to say the least. But enjoyable lol. I saw elk pretty quickly but it didnt come together for me. Some spots are perfect for the canoe, some are so shallow youd barely be able to paddle it and has hidden boulders that will kick your canoe sideways. The outside bends of the river are typically steep dark timber slopes leading down from timbered flats with the odd flats on the bottom close to the river but its pretty slow going, steep and noisy with a wind disadvantage the inside bends are typically cobble stone river flats leading up to willows which lead into dark timber and up to the hills leading out of the valleys. There is appx 5-8 bends per mile. So i guess my question is this; when walking along these kinds of rivers, does anyone use chest waders to go from walkable inside bend to inside bend crossing the river between each, instead of sweating it out on the steep banks? If i walked into the wind upriver a km or two or ten from the pressured access points would i have a better chance to be where the elk are after being pressured? How would I hunt these places? would I just walk west sneaking along the banks from side to side looking to bump into them headed to the river for a drink and stalk into them? Should i be looking for drainages leading down to the river? Look for benches? South side is typically shady, North side is slightly warmer and gets more sun I can almost guarantee no one is going further than easy walking distance from these access points. Lots of road hunters. What do you guys think? Any insights?

Thanks a ton - SQK

Way to not list a unit number, but I think you'll get more helpful info if you at least say what region or mountain range you are hunting. Is this area in a Coastal Rain Forest or something?

OP
S

SQK

FNG
Lol, loose lips sink ships in my area. Its in Alberta Canada, west central area just before the foothills. Big Bush country and is mixed coniferous and poplar forest.

Hell I don’t know, your report on your efforts was great. In AK we have a lot of luck calling moose to the river, but elk aren’t moose. I like your idea using the canoe and hitting those flats and benches from your description I’d stick with that. You seem to know your ground I think I’d be picking one or two of those flats and just sit on the ones with the most sign.

Wapiti1

WKR
Lol, loose lips sink ships in my area. Its in Alberta Canada, west central area just before the foothills. Big Bush country and is mixed coniferous and poplar forest.
I was going to guess that you were in Alberta. What you describe sounds just like the country north and west of Edmonton. I've spent a little time up there, but never hunted it.

No hunting the rut?

I profess no expertise on that country, but will say how I'd approach it. I'd look at it more like a whitetail hunt and work on finding places that they will come to you, or pass by. They should have travel corridors between food and bedding. Steep areas may push them into a pinch point, or rocky outcrops can do the same. Sit the trails, food, or any pinch point you may find.

Still hunting may be workable, but you'll have to move really slow and use the heck out of your glass. Move slow and glass everything at an interval like 20-30 yards or maybe a little more.

Tracking in the snow is another option. Move slow and glass everything every 20-30 yards or so. It's slow going.

Jeremy

chindits

WKR
Wow that sounds tough. I usually don’t hunt big river country. The mountain creeks where I usually hunt can be stepped across in 2 or 3 steps. The only river I crossed to hunt was 20 years ago to get around some coal company property. I’d just take my boots off and suffer. I think in your situation a packraft could be your friend, they’re a few options out there.

I think the big question is can you actually hunt the timber where they are bedded at with the wind and terrain? I reckon they are there for a reason. The next question is where are they feeding and where are they bedding. If it’s like the beetle kill timber around here, then it doesn’t help because there is so much forage in the timber they don’t have to travel from feeding to bedding.

When is the rut up there? Where I’m at you would be hunting the rut. That would make a huge difference.

Sorry for no real answers and more questions.

Laramie

WKR
I have used hip waders in a situation that was somewhat similar. If you run into anything much over knee deep you get out and walk around it. That said, I do think there is a better way.

Where do the elk go when you spook them. I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to shoot them where they are comfortable but rather spend time figuring out how to ambush them when they are escaping pressure. Let someone else do the dirty work. Once you figure this part out, you can even work in 2 man teams to perform a drive of sorts. One guy still hunts in to try to shoot one in the bottom while the second guy positions himself in the escape route.

Hope this helps. Good luck

OP
S

SQK

FNG
I was going to guess that you were in Alberta. What you describe sounds just like the country north and west of Edmonton. I've spent a little time up there, but never hunted it.

No hunting the rut?

I profess no expertise on that country, but will say how I'd approach it. I'd look at it more like a whitetail hunt and work on finding places that they will come to you, or pass by. They should have travel corridors between food and bedding. Steep areas may push them into a pinch point, or rocky outcrops can do the same. Sit the trails, food, or any pinch point you may find.

Still hunting may be workable, but you'll have to move really slow and use the heck out of your glass. Move slow and glass everything at an interval like 20-30 yards or maybe a little more.

Tracking in the snow is another option. Move slow and glass everything every 20-30 yards or so. It's slow going.

Jeremy
Haha yeah not far from that direction. There is rut hunting, but due to the pressure and all sorts of Doug Flutee’s blasting calls like crazy I have had very poor results calling them. Food is all over the place but I have found and sat spots that funnel them down to the river but the fickle winds are troublesome lol. I have tracked them in the snow but because of the dense bush and having to work during most fresh snowfalls it didn’t work out.

OP
S

SQK

FNG
Wow that sounds tough. I usually don’t hunt big river country. The mountain creeks where I usually hunt can be stepped across in 2 or 3 steps. The only river I crossed to hunt was 20 years ago to get around some coal company property. I’d just take my boots off and suffer. I think in your situation a packraft could be your friend, they’re a few options out there.

I think the big question is can you actually hunt the timber where they are bedded at with the wind and terrain? I reckon they are there for a reason. The next question is where are they feeding and where are they bedding. If it’s like the beetle kill timber around here, then it doesn’t help because there is so much forage in the timber they don’t have to travel from feeding to bedding.

When is the rut up there? Where I’m at you would be hunting the rut. That would make a huge difference.

Sorry for no real answers and more questions.
I keep thinking the river is my way in for sure. Food is kinda everywhere, along with bedding and yeah, wind and thermals keep me out of their bedding areas. that’s why I was thinking going after the water part of the triangle may be key. Rut usually starts to really kick in sept 1ish and by rifle opener on the 17th bulls have their cows typically. The area gets a lot of road buglers and the elk are real call shy because of that and constant wolf pressure. The one kicker is the river splits two zones, one opens up for rifle on the 17th and the other not until November. The elk seem to know this and tend to spook into the zone opening later for rifle. I bow hunt as well but struggle with what to bring with me when hunting the area after sept 17 lol.

OP
S

SQK

FNG
I have used hip waders in a situation that was somewhat similar. If you run into anything much over knee deep you get out and walk around it. That said, I do think there is a better way.

Where do the elk go when you spook them. I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to shoot them where they are comfortable but rather spend time figuring out how to ambush them when they are escaping pressure. Let someone else do the dirty work. Once you figure this part out, you can even work in 2 man teams to perform a drive of sorts. One guy still hunts in to try to shoot one in the bottom while the second guy positions himself in the escape route.

Hope this helps. Good luck
I have watched them peel outta there when pressured and they ran across 3 bends then headed back up the banks into the dark timber and out of my life. What you are saying is kinda my thought process, if I can get myself those few bends away from the access points I’d be where they want to escape to. At the access points terrain only allows you to get 1-2 bends out before the banks get impassable and you have to detour way up away from the river to get around them. If I had my waders on I could just walk the river and bypass all the slow bushwhacking to get there. The two man approach might just work, my brother and I tried it out one day last year and it seemed like a solid plan but the elk weren’t in that spot that day. I was the guy on the bottom allowing wind and thermals to push bush so to speak to get them to run into my bro at the top while still having a chance to see them on the bottom.

Deadfall

WKR
This gonna sound wacky. Stop chasing them. Buy 4 or 5 different cow calls. Find a spot where winds are kind of consistent and within 1000 yards of where elk like to bed. If possible on a bench or saddle and where they have to come to you to see.

Everyone calls at elk. I would suggest not doing that.

Take those few cow calls and walk around in a 200 yard circle just cow talking. Pretend you are a few elk just hanging out. Start out with a couple cow calls, throw in a calf then stop and be still for a bit. Break a few sticks, maybe rub a bush. A couple random cows. Slowly over a period of an hour increase the sequences and number of different calls. Throw in some random sounds with the calls.

Everytime you stop calling make sure you are downwind a bit from last call.

After a hour or so just stop and set up. Be quiet for a hour. Then start again from. The beginning.

I've seen it take up to most of a day before bull shows up. I've also seen bulls show up immediately.

If it dont work in a couple hours, then move a few hundred yards and do it again.

No bugle. Maybe some little growls.

Expect it to take 3 to 5 hours.

Most places I hunt bulls like having the wind, but love having the high ground. Meaning they will give up wind to get high ground. If you can set up to let them have high ground, that will help combat tough wind.

I know everyone says you gotta sneak in close to call. Its not true. 800 to 1000yards is plenty close if you patient with your scenario. I've found this strategy to work exceptionally well in pressured areas.

If a bull does respond from a long way off, keep in mind he wants you to come to him. Go alittle ways but keep your distance. In this situation abandon all cow calls but one. Try and make him think a cow is interested but unsure of leaving heard. Get excited with the cow call. Go a hundred or 2 hundred yards towards him, then hang up. Every 4 to 8 minutes be excited with the cow call, but only move laterally 15 to 50 yards between calls.

If the bull sounds off and is closer then goes quiet, be ready he's coming. And will probably stay quiet until he busts you or you shoot him. So be somewhere thats best for you.

If you get busted. Dont push it. Back out and hunt somewhere else next day. Let it cool off a day or two then hit it again.

Most guys will disagree with this, but its worked for me for a long time.

When nothing else works, just go try some real dumb stuff that you are certain wont work.

Loose lips and loose apps and websites are sinking a lot of ships these days.......

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I know nothing about Canada terrain or elk but if it was me and I hunted an area for a century with no luck I would find another spot.