Under Armour Hiking Shoes for Elk Hunt - Talk me out of it

creekchub

FNG
I recently bought these hiking shoes from Underarmour and they are incredibly lightweight and comfortable. I wore them all throughout turkey season and have also been running in them a lot. Considering using them as my main footwear on my elk hunt this year in Southwest Montana. Aware of some of the pros/cons to this idea but does anyone have experience in the elk woods with lightweight hiking shoes like this and wish they would have had a sturdier hunting boot instead? Plan to bring boots along as well.

Thanks

1620781970757.pngrm

OP
creekchub

creekchub

FNG
That is something I should have mentioned - I will be hunting pre-rut/early season

Thanks

Maverick1

WKR
Would be a good idea to put on a backpack with some weight to it to see how they handle for extended hunts (uphill, downhill, side hilling, etc.).

Everyone’s feet are different, so you will likely get different answers! What works well for some doesn’t work for others.

Plenty of people recommend a high ankle, stiff boot, with a sturdy sole. Usually those boots are 4+ pounds. I tried that route, just wasn’t for me. For September hunts I ended up at a 6” hiker, soft sole, lightweight (2.2 lbs), that fits my foot well. Use it from hiking to hunting to hauling meat. Works for me!

Zappaman

WKR
For years my buddy hunted NM cow elk hunts with his shearling wool slippers ;) But after the kill and the heavy packs came next, he switched off to lighter boots (Merrils or something like that in a 6") which I also used. That was a long while ago though and IF I did a 100 lb. meat pack today... I'd have my (good/old) 10" Danner Trophy boots for the ankle support. We were poor, young, and indestructible back then- not so much lately ;)

woodson

FNG
Other thing I will add, if you go the hiking shoe route, pack gaiters to keep you dry. I agree with the comments about trying it with a load/sidehilling first. I did all that and have enjoyed them for the last few hunts.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I like the lightweight boots for about two days. After that my feet get super sore and tired. Way less foot fatigue in somewhat heavier/stiffer boots even though you do get more muscle fatigue in your legs. My legs hold up better than my feet and I have wobbly ankles so I won't use lightweight boots with a loaded pack.

Obviously some guys do it with great success but unfortunately there is only one way to find out if you can be one of those guys...

Buck197

WKR
Let them say whatever they want, to heck with hauling the elk, you can dunk in those man!!!! Naw no comment seriously, just teasing.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up some Salomon hiking shoes for spring bear. Crispis are already worn out after 9 months and I want to try something more lightweight. I’ll let you know what I think after this weekend and would also like to hear what everyone else’s experience has been

TheTone

WKR
My experience with my trail running shoes was that I loved them for sneaking around but they wore my feet out when it came time to pack meat and that was with a very short pack

P Carter

WKR
As noted, do some weighted hiking to see how you feel. But don’t write it off completely, it’s not a crazy idea.

In early season I use Salomon Speedcross without issue. Feet get a bit sore with a heavy pack out but it’s a trade off I’m more than happy to make. I run trails a lot in racing-flat type shoes; it’s an easy transition for me. I personally dislike heavy boots—feet are constantly hot, high blister risk, expensive, I think the higher stack height leads to rolled ankles, they can be loud and clunky. I’m not convinced the height lends any real ankle support. But whatever works, ultimately a personal decision.

Elk97

WKR
You might want to try some sidehilling with a heavy pack, those don't look like they are going to give you much ankle support or braking going downhill. It all depends on your feet/ankles though. My son hiked all the way to Everest base camp in cheap china flip flops, the looks from guys wearing plastic mountaineering boots was priceless.

j33

WKR
Under armour boots suck, I bought some last year and they were getting wet a few days in. I mean if you’re getting them for cheap they’re worth a shot I guess, mine are for quadding or around home now.

wa_archer

FNG
I think they would work if your feet like them for early season. I have been using Salomon trail runners with a low ankle gaiter and love it. I keep boats in the truck for packing out loads. The ankle support just isnt enough for meat packing but besides that really like it. less weight and quiet they tend to bend around objects when stalking instead of cracking or rustling. at least up to going in socks.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Your leg muscles will get a workout wearing lightweight hikers because they'll be firing more to keep your foot and ankle stabilized. Heavier boots have their advantages.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk