Under Cooked Chicken

jimh406

WKR
I'm not sure why people can't use Google or do simple research before discounting others. It is well researched that chicken held at 145 is not only safe but tremendously better table fare.

I’m not sure why some people can’t provide a link instead of just a screenshot that doesn’t show the source. ;)

In any case, my point was that almost everywhere recommends 165 which is still true. For your other point, there’s more than temperature to create tremendously better table fare. I don’t anyone can make chicken tremendously better than what I cook by simply cooking it less. But, since we are unlikely to compare our food, it doesn’t really matter. ;)

Laramie

WKR
I’m not sure why some people can’t provide a link instead of just a screenshot that doesn’t show the source. ;)

In any case, my point was that almost everywhere recommends 165 which is still true. For your other point, there’s more than temperature to create tremendously better table fare. I don’t anyone can make chicken tremendously better than what I cook by simply cooking it less. But, since we are unlikely to compare our food, it doesn’t really matter. ;)
Most members here are capable of a simple google search which literally shows 100s of results confirming what I posted. I have been cooking off and on professionally for 35 years. Your requested links are below. These are just some of the first page ones and yes, temperature completely changes the quality of all meat.

Plenty of links below but this quote really says it all-
By keeping the meat at 145°F, you can keep your breast meat “Pale, pale pink but completely opaque; very juicy, a little soft,”, as opposed to a state where “Muscle fibers in breast meat have become almost completely squeezed dry. Meat is dry and chalky,” when it rises over 150°F.
J. Kenji López-Alt – The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science

Scientists have tested this, creating a list of sanitation tables pairing and equivalent dead cell time with a temperature. As the temperature goes up, the sanitation time goes down. By how much? Well, according to one we found,sanitation of salmonella at 150 degrees F in chicken occurs in roughly 2.7 min, while at 165 degrees F it takes less than ten seconds. That means that if you keep chicken at 150 degrees for 2.7 minutes, you’ll have the same killing power as you would holding the product at 165 for a few seconds.

Whisky

WKR
I sous vide chicken breasts to 142.
I smoke bone in whole turkey breasts and pull at 145.
I also cook most of my pork and pull at 135.
White meat poultry at 165 is inedible for me, unless it happens to be stuffed with something and/or wrapped in bacon (or some other special treatment).

I brine and smoke dark chicken meat all the time. It does have an undercooked look to it, just the way it is.

Azone

WKR
Chicken breast sucks. Bone in, skin on thighs is where it’s at. Direct heat up high over real wood and let them render in their own fat till pull apart tender. As far as the best recipe, good luck solving that on the internet.

Leibhart1

FNG
I’ve always cooked til 150 degrees and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Chicken breast sucks. Bone in, skin on thighs is where it’s at. Direct heat up high over real wood and let them render in their own fat till pull apart tender. As far as the best recipe, good luck solving that on the internet.
Agree1659389048972.png

I brine and smoke dark chicken meat all the time. It does have an undercooked look to it, just the way it is.
And even that perception is because most people are accustomed to the look of overcooked meat in general, especially when it comes to poultry.