Under Spined FMJ?

Curious what people think on the below arrow setup. Easton spine charts give ranges from 300-250 for various carbon arrows based on specs/heavier head. I think they're under spined by how they paper tune and fly. 300 is as low as the FMJ's go if you're not shooting deep six or dangerous game.

FMJ 5mm 300 spine.
70 lb draw
29 inch arrow
125 head
75 grain insert
330 IBO

Probably should have done 50 grain insert or reg insert. Any thoughts? Anyone ever removed epoxied inserts successfully? Thanks.

PMcGee

WKR
Can you strip the fletching and cut them any shorter. I never had any luck removing epoxied inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drop to 100grn heads and see what happens. It would be equal to having the 50grn inserts you thought you should have used instead of the 75grn

TBarron

WKR
I think your fine. I shot the 330 FMJs with similar specs. If you have trouble getting them to tune then turn the limbs back 1 turn. Mine were shorter though 27.5 and I’m a 29.5 draw length, so you’ve got plenty of room to cut it back closer to the rest if it comes to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
I think your fine. I shoot axis 340s with 100gr inserts and 100gr BH. Bullet hole and BS tuned at 29.5/70#, 335 ibo. You should be able to get them to tune. Or maybe something out of whack on your bow idk.

OP
Doug_Flutie
I tried 100 grain field point paper tune....mixed results. Haven’t been at distance yet. Thinking about cutting them, but hear u want the arrow 1 over DL. Then spine might be better too. Gotta look I to it more

OP
Doug_Flutie
I think your fine. I shoot axis 340s with 100gr inserts and 100gr BH. Bullet hole and BS tuned at 29.5/70#, 335 ibo. You should be able to get them to tune. Or maybe something out of whack on your bow idk.

Interesting to hear your setup. I did just repair my smack down rest, but thing is I’ll get a bullet hole then bad tears then a bullet hole. All mixed. Heard low tears can be underspided. Idk

big44a4

WKR
Interesting to hear your setup. I did just repair my smack down rest, but thing is I’ll get a bullet hole then bad tears then a bullet hole. All mixed. Heard low tears can be underspided. Idk

Could be inconsistencies in your grip. If I had to take a guess. If you are able to get a BH a few times I’d say it’s the grip. Same as getting bareshaft results.

I tried 100 grain field point paper tune....mixed results. Haven’t been at distance yet. Thinking about cutting them, but hear u want the arrow 1 over DL. Then spine might be better too. Gotta look I to it more

Turning your bow down a few pounds is another option to find out if your under spine

Kay9Cop

FNG
I shoot an RX3 at 70/29 with 300 Axis, 50 grain insert, 25 grain Iron Will collar, and 125 grain head and my arrows are 29.5”. They tune fine and bareshafts are bulletproof holes unless my form is off. Inconsistent tears are usually shooter related.

OP
Doug_Flutie
Turned it back 5+ lbs w/100 grain points. Paper tuned way better. Prob will try cutting them down.

Beendare

WKR
Some good options for a guy to test and see if you are underspinned above;
lighter tip, drop bow weight

The problems I've seen with underspined don't show up so much while standing at the range on flat ground with perfect form. I know a few guys that run weak spine to get lighter faster arrows for 3D and they make it work.

The problems show up on hunts, with BH's...and the less than perfect conditions we get for a shot on game.......not a good time to find out, eh?