Under Spined?

TBarron

WKR
I am shooting a 2016 Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo 29in draw and pull about 73-74lbs. My arrow setup right now is pretty stock, but I have been happy with it so far. 330 spine 4mm FMJ Injexion 28.5in, reg deep 6 inserts and 100g ramcats, so a total arrow weight close to 450g. I was wanting to go to the 125g ramcats to get more cutting area and possibly a little more FOC.

I would like some input on whether I should drop down a spine or if you think I am okay where I am at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Might help to mention what I will be hunting with this set up. Nothing bigger than deer sized....2 trips planned AZ mule deer, Kodiak blacktail and then will be chasing mulies and whitetail on a lease in Texas all season.

Brendan

WKR
Haven't run the numbers - but sounds like you're pushing it. I run the same bow, 28.5", 72 lb, roughly a 490 gr arrow with a 125 gr tip plus 45 gr of insert weight - and I run a 250 spine GT pierce platinum....

Can you run that set up - yes
But I feel you are past the limit of recommendation for spine.
Personally I'd do a 300 minimum and probably a 250.

Everyone has their own opinions on spine, but I believe adding weight up front will help your set up. I am assuming you run something like 3 - 2" blazers for rear control?

I shot FMJ for a while and got away with a set up like you have. But I opted for a stiffer, lighter shaft

Dameon

WKR
You have the same bow and specs as I do and ArchersAdvantage shows 330 spine as way too weak. 280 spine 4mm FMJ injections would be perfect and if you cut them 28 inches carbon to carbon, you can safely run up 210 grains up front for 16% FOC, 575 grains total weight around 275 fps. That includes 150 grain head and two inserts. One insert with a 125 grain head with that set up would yield 11.6% FOC and 511 grains at about 290 fps.

If you want higher FOC around 15-16% with speed around 300 fps, you would be better served with a stiffer lighter shaft.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Thanks for the feedback! I feel like the easy thing to do would be to just drop down to the FMJ 280 but I love shooting a fast set up and hate giving up FPS but definitely agree that adding more weight up front would allow for more downhill accuracy and deeper penetration. I wonder if I would actually really even notice less speed going with the 11% FOC on the 280 FMJ route. Kind of a weird question but how much FPS drop has to take place for you to really notice? Too big of a speed drop and I think I might just need to go with a lighter stiffer arrow...

I think the spine is fine..
20 grain HIT insert and 125 grain broadhead , 28.5" , 29" draw.. 74lbs..
I'd bet your fine especially with a broadhead like ramcat....

Kyle

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Im thinking I may be able to cheat a little and just cut down my arrow more. Here's where they currently sit. I haven't ordered my deepsix broadheads since I used to shoot outserts so it may be a little harder to tell with field points. How much you guys think I could trim?
6eee28ec026d0a71afdda37f3fdb0609.png

Dameon

WKR
The shortest arrow I am personally comfortable with is 27.25 from throats of nock to end of insert and I also have a 29 inch draw. In the end, an extra 25 grains of weight up front ain't that much. The easiest way to figure this out is to put on a 125 grain field point and bareshaft tune to see if you can get perfect flight with your current arrows. If you succeed, proceed to broadhead tuning and your done.

I'm tempted to do the same with the arrows from my 63lb DW Hoyt Vector Turbo. I use 330 spine Easton Hexx with 50 grain brass inserts and a 100 grain head. I can save a boat load on new arrows if I can get one set of arrows to work with both setups.

you can cut a ton of arrow off. It is about what you are comfortable with. I have very similar specs. 73lbs, 28.75"out of a hoyt. I have shot 390 spine ac injexion. carbon to carbon was 26". they shot great! they have always been the shaft I start with and then try to figure out a better set up.