UnderArmour vs. Smartwool socks?

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
If you had to buy one would you get the Smartwool Medium weight hunting socks or the Under Armour Cold Gear boot sock (not the thin sock)?

My experience with SW is they have no nylon or spandex in most models. They wear out extremely quickly. I like to run around the house in merino socks. I have some Darn Tough, Fox, Lorpen socks that have lasted years. I can blow through a SmartWool in a few days.

I'd go for the Smartwool, it's mostly merino. From what I can tell, the UA just have a little wool for marketing purposes.

I've never been disappointed with SW socks. Look up Darn Tough socks too, they are wool and have a good warranty

I don't know if you guys get them in the US, but Costco in Canada has 4 packs of merino hikers socks for real cheap, like $15. I wore pairs in my work boots for years and they are in amazing shape....best bang for your buck wool socks anywhere. Don't see them on Us/Can site, but they're always in store.

Smartwool, I have had not issues with them wearing out and they are very comfortable. It also is good to bear in mind that smartwool makes a lot of different socks for different activities.

Last edited:
My experience with SW is they have no nylon or spandex in most models. They wear out extremely quickly. I like to run around the house in merino socks. I have some Darn Tough, Fox, Lorpen socks that have lasted years. I can blow through a SmartWool in a few days.
I'd lean towards this. The smartwool socks I have don't snug up to my foot like the Darn Tough and Lorpen. Usually find a good deal on Steep and Cheap for all of the socks mentioned.

FWIW, merino socks keeps my feet dryer than the blend versions.

Smartwool is about the same as the REI socks- both good with the REI's a bit cheaper. I like the Darn tough socks are a bit better due to a dense tighter weave

Agreed on the Smartwool socks, they just don't last for me either. I have used Kenetrek socks almost exclusively for hunting/hiking/fishing for the last few years and have had great luck with the lightweight and midweight versions, although the heavy ones were less than stellar. I also really like the old black liner socks, but their new ones seem a bit heavy.

I've had good luck with smart wool, I've got atleast a year of hunting on one pair, with a lot of miles on them, and they're still in great shape

Back