Understanding available Wyoming license

Doc7

FNG
Hello,

If I look at a unit, for instance 78. Antlerless elk can be hunted on private land with a General Tag with a season of aug 15 to Oct 31. There is a special archery season of Sep 1-25.

another example in the same unit. 78-1 Tag is good for any elk not in National Forest and the season is aug 15 through sep 25. Again, special archery is Sep 1-25.

What is legal Aug 15-Aug 30 prior to the special archery season? It doesn’t make sense to me that it is rifle season from Aug 15 to Sep 25 but archery season Sep 1 to Sep 25 so I must not be understanding something. On the 78-1 tag I mentioned in paragraph 2 is there even a rifle season at all or is it all just archery?

In unit 78 there are limited quota tags issued for type 1, 2, and 6, in addition to general tags for private land antlerless. For the archery season, you buy an additional stamp, all else is a rifle tag.

It appears that during the archery season, no other elk hunting is permitted in the national forest besides archery. During that time frame, you can still rifle hunt private, BLM, etc.

I haven't hunted Wyoming and don't know that unit but that's my understanding from reading the regulations. I'm sure someone might re qualified will chime in.

wytx

WKR
Well you picked complicated area to ask about. But yes some areas have rifle cow elk hunting before and during the special archery season.
I would not recc. that area for a new hunter but if you want advice about it email one of the GW or biologists out of the Jackson office or area. They are busy right now with elk season though. The gals in the office may be able to answer your questions, they are very knowledgeable about hunting around the Jackson area compared to some offices.
Pull that area up on the hunt planner and look at the seasons there, it explains when you can archery hunt on each tag.