Understanding Bino Harness - what keeps them down?

What’s wrong with exposing Binos to the elements???? My Leicas are over 25 years old now and rode on my neck with a simple strap for half that and a simple bino harness for the last half and they’re good to go. I don’t remember anyone having these harnesses back then so i’d guess they aren’t needed in the least?

What am i missing?

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
What’s wrong with exposing Binos to the elements???? My Leicas are over 25 years old now and rode on my neck with a simple strap for half that and a simple bino harness for the last half and they’re good to go. I don’t remember anyone having these harnesses back then so i’d guess they aren’t needed in the least?

What am i missing?
Quality glass doesn’t go well with dusty lenses, scratched lenses. Enclosed bino harnesses are a must in my opinion if you are “in the woods” but if you are truck hunting or walking a hundred yards to a blind lije how I grew up hunting in Michigan then a bino harness is far less useful/important.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Kuiu off Facebook Marketplace for 60. I'll try it out. Seller indicated it was a "first generation" pack with the rain cover. I couldn't find any info on Gen 1 so I went ahead and tried it anyway.
My understanding is the biggest difference between $50 “Gen1” and the $100 Pro is the Gen1 didn’t use waterproof fabric and needed the silly rain cover. Some smaller differences elsewhere too.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I DESERVED the gravity comments - especially the more scientific explanation from @Mountain_Life LOL.

I guess I meant when extracting the binos, you need two hands to do it and almost have to fight to get them out. A simple bino harness (without the pouch) keeps them in place and super-easy to get at and lift up - but unprotected from the elements. I guess it's a trade-off.

Mind you, I feel like the case my wife and I each have is the same while she has 8x42 and I have 10x50 Vipers HDs. I'm thinking hers are a better fit and easier to remove.

I did notice that - in someone's video on youtube - not sure of the brand - that he simply dropped his 10x or 12x into his harness and they seemed to simply fall in...
You need a bino harness of tge correct size so they aren’t squeezing in there. Also a forward folding design like Kuiu Pro or Marsupial Gear, etc are easy to use with one hand.

Honyock

WKR
My understanding is the biggest difference between $50 “Gen1” and the $100 Pro is the Gen1 didn’t use waterproof fabric and needed the silly rain cover. Some smaller differences elsewhere too.
Probably the biggest difference in addition to the fabric change is that the G1 is not fully enclosed and the Pro is fully enclosed.