Understanding Colorado out of state OTC tags...?

So I’m trying to process all the information I’ve read on the internet about the licenses for elk hunting Colorado. So either sex archery tags have a limited quantity and can be used in what zones? Do these often run out quickly?

Bull tags OTC archery are unlimited? And are these valid for the same zones?

Any other helpful information would be great!

noliver

FNG
I am curious as well. I am trying to plan a trip to Colorado and have the same questions. Maybe someone will help us out. Lol

Call CPW. They're literally getting paid to answer these questions (and on average they have more accurate info than some internet jabronis).

Signed,
An internet jabroni.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
There’s two map pages in the elk section of the regs that show the different GMUs for either sex and antlerless archery tags.

OP
T
Thank you, I found those as well right after I posted. So are the limited tags for either sex sold out pretty quickly leaving people to fend with the bull only tag that’s unlimited? Or do they usually not sell out of the either sex?

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, I found those as well right after I posted. So are the limited tags for either sex sold out pretty quickly leaving people to fend with the bull only tag that’s unlimited? Or do they usually not sell out of the either sex?
Archery elk OTC non resident
Cow only-unlimited
Either sex-unlimited

Jbehredt

WKR

Tags on those maps are truly unlimited. You can buy one on theleast day of the season if you so choose. Heck you can buy two if they’re list b tags. Limited tags are almost exclusively awarded through a draw with an April application deadline. I say almost because there are leftovers that trickle out of the system as well.

OP
T
Tags on those maps are truly unlimited. You can buy one on theleast day of the season if you so choose. Heck you can buy two if they’re list b tags. Limited tags are almost exclusively awarded through a draw with an April application deadline. I say almost because there are leftovers that trickle out of the system as well.

There was a section labeled “otc licenses with caps” and said they went on sale aug 8th until they run out. What is the difference between those and the unlimited as far as territory or worth? Like why are they capped and the others are unlimited?

Jbehredt

WKR
There was a section labeled “otc licenses with caps” and said they went on sale aug 8th until they run out. What is the difference between those and the unlimited as far as territory or worth? Like why are they capped and the others are unlimited?

Maybe you stumbled into the bear section. Those are the only otc with caps tags I can think of....I scrapped my 2019 regs a bit ago.

OP
T
Any other things people have learned the hard way when planning a trip? I’m trying to avoid as many hiccups as possible

Jimss

WKR
To simplify things take a look at last years regulations for the unit and season you are interested in The new 5 year structure starts next year so there may be a few changes To complicate things a little..all 4th rifle seasons are limited

Maybe you stumbled into the bear section. Those are the only otc with caps tags I can think of....I scrapped my 2019 regs a bit ago.

Jbehredt is correct, all OTC with caps tags mentioned in the 2019 brochure were for bear, not elk.