Understanding non-res point system Montana

Torrent50

FNG
(Edited) - Yes, you are correct and I was wrong. LEGEND pointed out that the NR PP section is not yet effective, but effective March 1, 2022:

1. PP will be $100, not $50,
2. PP can be purchased until DECEMBER 31, not September 30,
3. The part about skipping years will be incorrect.

HB 637 states: "The department shall delete the an applicant's accumulated preference points if the applicant...does not apply for a Class B-10 or Class B-11 license in consecutive years." Consecutive means every year - skip a year, lose accumulated PP.
I don't think your last statement is correct. If you don't apply in consecutive years means not applying two years in a row. You can skip a year and then apply the following year and not lose your points. Just a fancy way of saying that if you don't apply for two years you lose your points.

Agross

WKR
I don't think your last statement is correct. If you don't apply in consecutive years means not applying two years in a row. You can skip a year and then apply the following year and not lose your points. Just a fancy way of saying that if you don't apply for two years you lose your points.
That’s the way I took it as well.
Also, is it true that next year you can buy two preference points?

Jt13

FNG
I spoke to FWP last week about this and they described it as @Erict did. Skip a year = lose points.
That’s the way I took it as well.
Also, is it true that next year you can buy two preference points?
Only if you use a licensed outfitter, and they don't have a good system in place for this yet.

bsnedeker

WKR
How about Antelope? If I’ve been buying bonus points, do I have to apply the third year?
This only applies to preference points for the General Deer and Elk tag. Bonus points are a completely different system and are used for LE permits.

Bottom line, antelope points are not affected, you are fine.

dtrkyman

WKR
Guess that explains why I have 2 points there, I thought I forgot to buy points but must have been hit due to not putting in an actual application. Oh well guess I am done with Montana!

Wapiti1

WKR
I'm pretty sure you lose your preference points when you draw a big game combo license regardless of whether you turn it back in or not.
He has 3 PP, not bonus. I assume we have to apply by March 22, or they’ll zero out if he doesn’t apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To answer your last question, yes, you must apply next year (2022) or you lose the preference points you have.

If you haven't purchased a PP this year (2021), I would suggest you do so. 3 is better than 2 and cheap insurance to draw the tag.

Jeremy

Button

WKR
All I know is I’m going to hunt and make 0 threads on rockslide asking about units, spots, or how the system works.
I like to read so it’s not difficult to navigate state lottery or rules.
It’s so easy a cave man can do it.