Understanding the weather forcast ?

I was wondering how best to interpret the forecast and how it will effect my hunting/hiking. I'm a single Dad (100% custody) so that makes it more difficult to get out. I plan on taking my 3 y/o overnight hiking but wanted to scout the areas a little first. I was hopening to go out this fri/sat on a quick overnight scout in the alpine lakes wilderness area but the forecast is calling for 20%-30% rain. Im not to concerned about the rain itself but last year in the high country the forecast was similiar and we were socked in with clouds and visibility was horrible. This would make a scouting trip pretty pointless. Is there anyway to understand what visibility to expect? I would just risk it but I would rather invest the money that the nanny costs and the grandparent overnight coupons on a worthwhile trip ;) Anyone that lives up that way that I can call and get a report from from time to time would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
Around here it rains just about every other day in the high country from late spring to around the end of August.. Usually it's just a light sprinkle and a lot of thunder. If it were me I would wait until the forecast calls for zero% precipitation if you are planning to take your 3 y/o with you...You want those first few trips to be fun for him/her...

Read Cliff Mass's book on NW weather. Even has a section on what websites services he'd look at to determine if he wanted to go on a hike. Very well written and easy to understand.

As for your weekend scouting trip I'd just go. I'm more interested in connecting dots on my map, finding glassing spots, finding easy routes between glassing spots, water, storm bolt holes etc. Still lots to get done even if socked in by clouds.

OP
pyroducksx3
Well the weather was prefect, unfortunately the snow was to deep, didnt even get to drive to the trailhead. I looked clear enough when going through the pass last weekend. Opps guess Ill give it a few more weeks. Funny how Im reading about people hiking to 12,000 ft in colorado and we cant even get to 5000 here in WA. Someone was nice enough to post a link to snowpack levels on here, I'll have to go find it and make it a favorite.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering how best to interpret the forecast and how it will effect my hunting/hiking. I'm a single Dad (100% custody) so that makes it more difficult to get out. I plan on taking my 3 y/o overnight hiking but wanted to scout the areas a little first. I was hopening to go out this fri/sat on a quick overnight scout in the alpine lakes wilderness area but the forecast is calling for 20%-30% rain. Im not to concerned about the rain itself but last year in the high country the forecast was similiar and we were socked in with clouds and visibility was horrible. This would make a scouting trip pretty pointless. Is there anyway to understand what visibility to expect? I would just risk it but I would rather invest the money that the nanny costs and the grandparent overnight coupons on a worthwhile trip ;) Anyone that lives up that way that I can call and get a report from from time to time would be appreciated. Thank you

Had a couple questions for you but your inbox is full! I am headed up scouting this weekend in the ALW.