Understanding WY nonresident elk application/zones?

It is a lot to wrap my head around at first. Been reading a lot of threads, but want to see if I can get some targeted advice as well…

As a non resident with no preference points, is my best bet to put in for a general tag? When doing the app would I just select “GEN” as first, second, and third choice?
What zones/areas does that allow to hunt?

How do you all make sense of choosing a specific zone by number? I don’t plan to hire a guide so I don’t want to pick a zone where the whole thing basically requires that i have a guide.

Thanks!

Since you won’t draw a general tag as a second choice only enter it as your first choice. Find another option for your second. Some guys go for a cow tag as a second choice. You’ll have to do a little homework but you need to look at the odds in the random draw since that’s where your only chance is with no points, and then see if you can find a limited quota area with better odds in that random.

Hang in there… once you know your way around the Wyoming F&G website you’ll find it easy and one of the best out there. Like zacattack said everything you need is on there. Good luck pilgrim!

OP
T
The hunt zones for elk listed on the site don’t match up to the zones on onX, is there a way to get them overlayed correctly on onX for elk zones?

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
The hunt zones for elk listed on the site don’t match up to the zones on onX, is there a way to get them overlayed correctly on onX for elk zones?
You need to change the species for the Wyoming GMU’s. It’s probably on Antelope or Deer by default/

OP
T
youtoob is full of wyoming draw videos
Also, if you have elite onX you get huntin fool and toprut memberships. The fool will help with navigating the system and toprut has the odds.
I do have the elite, how do I get huntin fool and toprut?

Laramie

WKR
Everyone keep in mind. The odds listed on various sites are a guess based on historical trends. There is no way to know actual odds for the upcoming draw because there is no way to predict how many applicants will apply.

fatlander

WKR
Everyone keep in mind. The odds listed on various sites are a guess based on historical trends. There is no way to know actual odds for the upcoming draw because there is no way to predict how many applicants will apply.

The only thing that we can be sure of is that the instafluencers that get paid by those sites will make sure more people are applying this year than last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
So i did quite a bit of looking with all the info y’all have given me…. Correct me if im wrong, if I put GEN as option 1, and from what I can tell from draw results previous year there were no units at all for antlered that had tags and did not have any first choice applicants, so therefore no matter what I put as my second and third choice I would not get those because the tags would have gone to first choice applicants, correct?

So basically, if I select GEN first and don’t want a cow tag, it’s basically GEN or nothing?

Don’t give up yet. Now go look at leftover odds and see which ones are better than the odds in the first drawing because of unsold resident licenses.

OP
T
Now as far as the wilderness areas and needing a guide to hunt them…. How/where can you see where the wilderness area is? I mean I see a map that has a zoomed out view, but zones 96 and 97 for example have national forest land and it’s all marked as wilderness area on the one map so I wouldn’t want to hunt there, but zone 68 is all national forest but none is marked as “wilderness area”. What makes the determination, is there a map layer on onX for that? I don’t see it

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
They are only federally designated wilderness areas. There is a onx layer, you may have to pull it from the layer library to your library

They are all shown on the wgfd interactive hunt map also.

Also just Google WY wilderness areas kmz and you can find a Google earth file or maps

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
T
They are only federally designated wilderness areas. There is a onx layer, you may have to pull it from the layer library to your library

They are all shown on the wgfd interactive hunt map also.

Also just Google WY wilderness areas kmz and you can find a Google earth file or maps

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Is the layer under Wyoming specifically or somewhere else?