Understanding WY Second Chance Probabilities

Hi all. I have been lurking on this forum for a while, and it has been really helpful in better understanding the workings of the point system for WY antelope. I am currently planning on entering the draw for the first time (i.e. I have 0 preference points). With the southwest region being out of the question for years to come, I am looking at ways to build my preference points while still getting out in the areas with less public land in the meantime to learn the ropes.

With that in mind, I want to make sure I have a reasonable game plan in place. I have researched several eastern units that are mostly private, and found some public access that interests me. The way I understand it is I would want to put in for a nearly impossible to get option with my first choice, and then use my second and third options on the eastern units that are mostly private. This way I can gain a point but still get out in the field this year.

My question is related to interpreting second draw probabilities (or really, 2018 second draw results), since that is what I will be relying on to get in the field this year. I am using unit 23 as an example…

Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Antelope Area 23

Nonresident preference point results from 2018 indicate that even without doing the special draw, there is a 100% chance of getting drawn. Because this is preference point based, that would be FIRST choice, correct? i.e. those probabilities wouldn't apply to my current plan of using my first choice on an impossible to get unit. Where I get confused is on nonresident random draw numbers for hunt type 1. Total quota is 79 and first choice applicants is 150 (see attached image). Does that mean that zero second choice applicants would get this draw, as 79 out of the 150 first choice applicants would take the entire quota? Any help interpreting the likelihood of getting 23 (using this just as an example) with my second choice would be much appreciated.

Same question applies for doe/fawn draw (second attached image). 358 is the quota, but there were 389 first choice applicants. So the 156 second choice applicants did not get a tag there? Making it more confusing is there appear to have been some leftover tags last year in 23
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/LeftoverDraw-ANT-2018.pdf

Again, any help interpreting these numbers would be much appreciated from those of you with a clearer picture of the system. Thank in advance for any advice, the discussions on this forum have been super helpful in getting a working knowledge of the system!

Attachments

• nonres2.jpg
    nonres2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 36
  • nonres1.jpg
    nonres1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 35

wapitibob

WKR
You only need to be concerned with the random draw demand reports. First choice carries from the pp draw to the random, any quota remaining will be grabbed by the 2nd choice apps. Use that remainder and the 2nd choice apps to get your chance of drawing.

OP
W
Got it, thank you! Would these be the demand reports that you are referencing?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/DRAW_ANT_RD_NONRES_2018.pdf https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/Drawing Odds/DRAW_ANTDF_NONRES_2018.pdf

For example, non resident antelope in unit 1 had total quota of 47, with 61 first choice applicants. So for that unit in 2018, no second choice applicants would have gotten in for a regular antelope tag.
Conversely, unit 17 had a quota of 217 with 0 first choice applicants. Thus, all 152 second choice applicants would have gotten drawn.

Are these the reports you are referencing, and am I interpreting them correctly, or am I off base?

Thank you again for the information, and merry xmas!

wapitibob

WKR
those are the ones

correct

correct

your interpretation is correct

If you look at the pp demand report, then the random and you will see the remaining 1st choice apps transfer as well as the remaining quota. Also, the 1st choice and 2nd choice apps, are applications, which may be for 1 or 2 doe tags so you are not looking at true draw odds.

OP
W
Got it, that makes sense. Even with true draw odds being tricky, hopefully I can draw into something this year. Even if the public land is very limited, I'd really like to walk around and fail some before I get after big bucks in the "yellow" units. Thanks so much for the advice!