Unexplained misses

woods89

WKR
Do you ever watch a guy on a hunting video miss and wonder if his sponsor provided scope didn't track or zero had shifted?

I've seen a few that have really made me wonder. Sometimes the "reasons" for the miss seem just a little strange, and the way the miss happened just seems like it could be scope trouble. I always wonder if there are some strained phone calls between them and their sponsor after the hunt.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Idk, I've seen a prominent hunter spin a CDS a few times on TV and be surprised by a miss....
My guess is we are thinking down the same lines.

Also watched a prominent hunting personality a year or two ago have a couple misses on a canoe in mule deer hunt. He blamed it on having just set the rifle up if I remember correctly........

Watched one just the other day where another personality checked his zero, which was off significantly. He rezeroed, after which they found a deer and his friend missed it with the rifle the host had provided. Then the host finds a buck and proceeds to have a rodeo without an explanation, ending with a close range coup de gras.

I am not trying to be critical, as I have a few misses as well and sometimes strange things happen.

All the instances I'm referencing are people who I think of as having some skills. Not talking Hushin, here. Some of you are probably going to read between the lines and figure out who I'm talking about.

I know a few things got simpler for me when I started using a reliable scope. But who knows.............

Titan_Bow

WKR
My guess is we are thinking down the same lines.

Also watched a prominent hunting personality a year or two ago have a couple misses on a canoe in mule deer hunt. He blamed it on having just set the rifle up if I remember correctly........

Watched one just the other day where another personality checked his zero, which was off significantly. He rezeroed, after which they found a deer and his friend missed it with the rifle the host had provided. Then the host finds a buck and proceeds to have a rodeo without an explanation, ending with a close range coup de gras.

I am not trying to be critical, as I have a few misses as well and sometimes strange things happen.

All the instances I'm referencing are people who I think of as having some skills. Not talking Hushin, here. Some of you are probably going to read between the lines and figure out who I'm talking about.

I know a few things got simpler for me when I started using a reliable scope. But who knows.............

Just watched that recent episode and I know the canoe hunt you are talking about. I guess those guys are busy doing marketing work, podcasts etc. just like the rest of us are working a 9 to 5. I’d like to say it wouldn’t happen to me, but I’ve missed before and couldn’t believe it, and I’ve seen it happen to others. Shite happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think many times, complicated shooting systems, even with very competent shooters... can be a disaster, especially in high stress hunting situations. Mix in more novice shooters that really don’t practice or understand their “system” it equals disaster.

I think in the past 10 years, since turrets have become popular, I’ve seen a big increase in “blowing it” on shots that were in my opinion “slam dunks”

Most, seem to be issues such as no zero stop, windage turrets off a rotation, etc.

I do think some popular “cheaper” scope options also can have a real problem holding zero. They do have great warranties though 🤣