Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

woods89

WKR
I listened to the Blood Origins podcast with Matt this afternoon. Wow.

I try not to rubber stamp anyone's views but I think many of us have had similar thoughts. There are a lot of aspects of his worldview that are worth considering, I think. It's not hard to imagine that he's breaking some crockery in the influencer world. :LOL:

Russp17

WKR
Ok the one thing that drives me nuts is about how all these influencers talk about being a good family man, etc then they are m gone 45-60 days hunting in the fall. that’s not realistic for most of us… I hunt and fish a lot but all I feel I can really do with two kids and a wife are two 9 day trips a fall (and yes this is selfish on my part) atleast for me any more than that and I’m putting my wife in a bind and not being a “family man”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
I don't agree obviously and I'm telling you right now I have zero guilt...I'm not a insta star..YouTuber..or Facebooker

Just a dude that hunts alot and looks back at yal fighting over nothing...it just seems to me there's an immense amount of people just waiting for the chance to bring someone down...eps among hunters

You guys are really questioning cam hanes passion ? Dan's? Bowmars ?? Your out of your minds

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
I don't agree obviously and I'm telling you right now I have zero guilt...I'm not a insta star..YouTuber..or Facebooker

Just a dude that hunts alot and looks back at yal fighting over nothing...it just seems to me there's an immense amount of people just waiting for the chance to bring someone down...eps among hunters

You guys are really questioning cam hanes passion ? Dan's? Bowmars ?? Your out of your minds
1. No one is "fighting." We are discussing.
2. "Passion" for what? Stardom, fame, money, gear? All of us have a passion for hunting, yet some of us choose not to exploit it for our own self-interests then try to pawn it off as altruism or "growing the sport." Did you even read the article?

Elkangle

WKR
1. No one is "fighting." We are discussing.
2. "Passion" for what? Stardom, fame, money, gear? All of us have a passion for hunting, yet some of us choose not to exploit it for our own self-interests then try to pawn it off as altruism or "growing the sport." Did you even read the article?
Then let's discuss

I honestly don't think a passion for stardom, Fame and money would lead to these guys working as hard as they do...there is way better avenues for that elsewhere than the hunting industry

There will always be a spectrum of hunters in regards to bragging...some are quit and humble...others strap the rack on the roof and park at the local watering hole all damn day...look at this very website!! Everything is a shade of grey to someone...posting photos at sportsman's is okay for Matt but instagram is different?? Support the old greats like Jack O'Conner is okay but cam hanes is just looking for fame ??

We just lost bear hunting in Washington and we are complaining about rogan spreading info to the masses ?? Is he perfect heck no...but who is...

These "stars" you guys dislikes so much are no different then any of us...they just people doing what they love...you just can't work that hard if you didn't..are there bad ones ?? Sure...but % wise there is just as many culls in the gen hunting population too if not more

Hunting is evolving...it always has and always will...before people wrote books, then magazines, then movies ! Forums...now instagram...like many of you who probably caught the bug from reading old book by Jack O'Conner or flipping the pages of an eastmans....there is kids out there clicking on instagrams and chomping at the bit to get after it...

Or you could go with Matt's route and have that kid stay home and support Xbox just so you don't have "competition"....then you could work even less hard !! How great would that be..what an awesome future 🙄

Last edited:

JRam07

FNG
Then let's discuss

I honestly don't think a passion for stardom, Fame and money would lead to these guys working as hard as they do...there is way better avenues for that elsewhere than the hunting industry

There will always be a spectrum of hunters in regards to bragging...some are quit and humble...others strap the rack on the roof and park at the local watering hole all damn day...look at this very website!! Everything is a shade of grey to someone...posting photos at sportsman's is okay for Matt but instagram is different?? Support the old greats like Jack O'Conner is okay but cam hanes is just looking for fame ??

We just lost bear hunting in Washington and we are complaining about rogan spreading info to the masses ?? Is he perfect heck no...but who is...

These "stars" you guys dislikes so much are no different then any of us...they just people doing what they love...you just can't work that hard if you didn't..are there bad ones ?? Sure...but % wise there is just as many culls in the gen hunting population too if not more

Hunting is evolving...it always has and always will...before people wrote books, then magazines, then movies ! Forums...now instagram...like many of you who probably caught the bug from reading old book by Jack O'Conner or flipping the pages of an eastmans....there is kids out there clicking on instagrams and chomping at the bit to get after it...

Or you could go with Matt's route and have that kid stay home and support Xbox just so you don't have "competition"....then you could work even less hard !! How great would that be..what an awesome future 🙄
Pretty sure Matt doesn't have any kids, but hey when you don't have an argument you just have to assume and make stuff up.

Pretty sure Matt doesn't have any kids, but hey when you don't have an argument you just have to assume and make stuff up.
When I read what he wrote, kid wasn’t referring to Matt’s kids, but the “kids” that will come along to hunt in the future that he references earlier. I don’t believe he made anything up, you may have jumped to conclusions

Then let's discuss

There will always be a spectrum of hunters in regards to bragging...some are quit and humble...others strap the rack on the roof and park at the local watering hole all damn day...loo at this very website!! Everything is a shade of grey to someone...posting photos at sportsman's is okay for Matt but instagram is different?? Support the old greats like Jack O'Conner is okay but cam hanes is just looking for fame ??

Or you could go with Matt's route and have that kid stay home and support Xbox just so you don't have "competition"....then you could
Then let's discuss

With Washington losing bear hunting I think that ties directly to some of Matt’s points that hunting social media often sways non hunters to anti hunters and is a domino effect when losing hunting rights. I don’t agree with everything he says but it’s easy to see how social media influencers can affect hunting negatively.

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
Then let's discuss

There are 13 pages already on this topic filled with discussion. A few of which that have my thoughts on the matter. I'll let others have it.

JRam07

FNG
When I read what he wrote, kid wasn’t referring to Matt’s kids, but the “kids” that will come along to hunt in the future that he references earlier. I don’t believe he made anything up, you may have jumped to conclusions
He literally said "or you could go Matt's route and have kids that stay home and support xbox"

But that's not the only thing he assumed, pretty sure he assumed Matt likes O'Connor when Matt never said anything about O'Connor.

Of course I'm guessing he probably didn't read the article or listen to the podcast.

Someone asked about the influencers who were offended, and another poster mentioned the ElkShape guy did a rebuttal podcast.

While looking into it and listening to the rebuttal podcast, the following article was mentioned. And the article is a good look into how a hunting influencer comes to be and how influencers build up each other to ultimately profit.

It's worth a read!

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
Someone asked about the influencers who were offended, and another poster mentioned the ElkShape guy did a rebuttal podcast.

While looking into it and listening to the rebuttal podcast, the following article was mentioned. And the article is a good look into how a hunting influencer comes to be and how influencers build up each other to ultimately profit.

It's worth a read!
That guy's a parasite. Macho man doesn't have a problem throwing fellow hunters under the bus because they had the audacity to hunt antelope in Nevada and Elk in New Mexico at the same time he was on his own podcast. They are a "cartel" if they don't bow down before him. Now he's the victim because big, bad Matt calls a spade a spade in regard to his shameless, self-promotion.

What a hypocrite.

Mtnboy

WKR
Something that also hasn't been talked about here (unless I missed it) shouldn't any of these guys who are making money with 'content' on Social Media have a permit for any 'content' that they create on Public Land?

I'm not just talking about YouTube videos....if you are taking photos or short clips to post on your Instagram etc. to make money shouldn't you have to have a permit?

Something that also hasn't been talked about here (unless I missed it) shouldn't any of these guys who are making money with 'content' on Social Media have a permit for any 'content' that they create on Public Land?

I'm not just talking about YouTube videos....if you are taking photos or short clips to post on your Instagram etc. to make money shouldn't you have to have a permit?
I dont think we need any additional laws or red tape in anyone's life at this point. Matt mentioned this as well. Self policing, personal choice, and maybe a little shaming of the worst offenders would go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.