Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sled

WKR
I agree with him. The only part that I disliked was his tribesman comparison. You'll get the same thing out of 90% of hunters at the gas station hauling out their kill.

OP

3forks

WKR
You guys all realize you are on a hunting digital platform, correct?
There’s a pretty big difference from those that use this forum to discuss gear and issues, as opposed to those who use this forum to beg for hand outs (i.e. “Not looking for anyone’s honey hole, but tell me where to go”), and social media influencers using their platform to promote themselves and gain sponsors/followers.

There’s a pretty big difference from those that use this forum to discuss gear and issues, as opposed to those who use this forum to beg for hand outs (i.e. “Not looking for anyone’s honey hole, but tell me where to go”), and social media influencers using their platform to promote themselves and gain sponsors/followers.
It is all Social Media. You don’t think a website with this much traffic hasn’t influenced hunting numbers?

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
You guys all realize you are on a hunting digital platform, correct?
You are correct, but it also depends if we are using a forum like Rokslide to seek help or help others, or for your own hubris to brag about your kills and get follows to bolster your social media following.

This is an excellent forum for gear and optics discussion, hence my presence here. I think Rinella was referring specifically to FB, Instagram and Youtubers glorifying their kills for likes, follows and sponsors.

Don't think my contributions on outdoors forums will garner me any of those things any time soon, nor am I seeking them.

Finch

WKR
I agree with the article. I'm coming up on a year being off Facebook. I felt it was changing the way I hunted (sounds stupid I know). There might have been a slow day in the stand and I'd scroll FB seeing all the successes of others. Kinda brought me down and that's when I made the decision to get off FB. I'd been posting dead animals since 2006ish and this year I did not. Kinda feels good that I'm hunting for myself and not looking for the approval of others.

No one cares about what you kill and forget in a year or so anyway.

Broomd

WKR
Overall a well-written article; a bit of drama. Matt must have some education.

Personally I loathe the term 'influencer' it's the product of social media narcissism and self-aggrandizement, the 21st century in a nutshell.
Mixing hunting with ego means trespassing, 650 yard shots, suffering animals, deadheads, festering broadheads found in hindquarters in '22. Some of those things have always been a reality, but now they may be an epidemic. (sorry)
Where and when I grew up 'influencer' in essence meant Dad, and in some cases mom too.....or maybe additional insight from a best friend.

Those were better times.

And Finch, you are right: no one cares.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.