Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie

WKR
Your message is pretty clear, you’re running a business and are willing to do most anything to increase your audience and likes for $$$. You kill a ton of animals each year and no way you can consume all that meat without giving it away. IMO that is a problem and not sustainable for the traditional hunters. I’ve talked to you in person several times at events and have no problem with you personally, you’re a nice down to earth guy that’s does a lot for conservation and I appreciate it. However, I think your current methods of spitting out video after video of kill shots and promotions isn’t doing hunters any favors. I’ve seen our draw odds plummet as a direct result time after time in the last 5 years especially. We can’t create more habitat, the human population is exploding in the west. The demand is exceeding the supply. The woods are more crowded than ever no matter the miles you hike. When will influencers realize the damage being caused? Like the Upton Sinclair quote goes, “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
Very well said. And thank you for posting this.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
All you guys that supposedly don’t engage in social media sure know a lot about what is being done on social media
Meh, the consequences have reached everyone’s front door. You can’t hide from any social media impacts no matter your status, which is beyond frustrating. But I see why someone who has an Instagram would be offended by this thread.

Elkangle

WKR
Sorry guys...I've been completely wrong ...I decided to read the article...traditional hunters or hunters that are more "pure" deserve to have an experience in the mtns like it used to be back before the crowds...lets stop hunter recruiting...lets take away our biggest avenue to have a voice...lets dictate how much someone can eat in one year ? Or how much meat they give away to family & friends... Lets promote looking down at one another until we are all "pure"....this way I will finally be successful

😉

It never ends....you guys will never find what your looking for...if influencers deleted accounts tomorrow...the very next day it would something else on why "traditional huntser" aren't getting the experience they want...wolves..Indians...long range hunters...archery hunters...less pure hunters

I know this cuz yal were bitching prior to instagram too

There's some awesome hunting to be had if you stop waisting your time blaming others

Sorry guys...I've been completely wrong ...I decided to read the article...traditional hunters or hunters that are more "pure" deserve to have an experience in the mtns like it used to be back before the crowds...lets stop hunter recruiting...lets take away our biggest avenue to have a voice...lets dictate how much someone can eat in one year ? Or how much meat they give away to family & friends... Lets promote looking down at one another until we are all "pure"....this way I will finally be successful

😉

It never ends....you guys will never find what your looking for...if influencers deleted accounts tomorrow...the very next day it would something else on why "traditional huntser" aren't getting the experience they want...wolves..Indians...long range hunters...archery hunters...less pure hunters

There's some awesome hunting to be had if you stop waisting your time blaming others
Bingo!

JRam07

FNG

😉

My only problem is that you were just making stuff up. An asinine argument that would cause kids to become addicted to Xbox, because a guy was arguing against technology.

Though, I don't think the evidence supports this new argument either, the Bowmars spear a bear in Canada, posted it online and caused that to get shut down.

Can you give an example of something being reversed because of social media?

Last edited:

WCB

WKR

😉

I honestly don't think everybody that post on IG or another platform are doing it to puff their chests. Are there guys and gals using their platform to benefit wildlife and hunting....Yes. And I think many on here will agree. I think Matt's article was great and obviously pushed the issue right to the front. Unfortunately I would say the vast majority of hunting posts and "influencers" reflect bad on hunting and or give new young hunters a skewed perspective on success/need for success and very little actual conservation benefit or insight. A ton of talk of conservation and very little action but to "join" xyz group.

I'm in the age bracket that is caught right in between the "purest" deer camp group and the Instafamous crowd. I like to see and read/watch hunting and outdoor related content. At the same time can't stand what is has become (I couldn't stand the whitetail craze in the late 90s to early 2000s either).

Point is I don't think it is an all or nothing argument. All social media and "influencers" aren't bad just like all arguments from "purists" aren't bad. I just know which ones the general public see.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
A great example on the extreme end of the spectrum requires nothing but looking at Rokslide's very own. Aerial scouting mountain bucks, selling coordinates, shooting far more than you can consume, etc.
But hey if it's legal it's all good right? Just like the Boddington ram...

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a reminder to keep this chat civil. It has been for the most part but name calling, personal attacking, or being a douche will get you kicked off this forum.

HuntingIndian

Lil-Rokslider
If they can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen. That old line of "don't divide hunters" is the lamest bullshit excuse for people to hide behind.

I take these comments, assess them in the context of what we do and what we hope to accomplish, and then use that process to try craft a better product. That's how business works. Create a better message and do more toward what the customer (audience) is asking for and do it while sticking to you business plan.

Nobody owes any of us in the media world a like, a share, or a living. I've been self-employed most my entire adult life. If I can't handle the realities of operating a business, I should be flipping Big Macs (and nothing against the hard working folks at Mickey D's).

(y)

As a new hunter, i find your videos very helpful. thanks.

Eyeman

FNG
Well here I go. I try to stay out of discussions like these.
But as I see it its the way we communicate as a whole. I know this is dealing with just social media but there is so much more in play in my opinion.
I'm not bagging on anyone but just throwing my thoughts out there.
The way I see it is:
Influencers looking for followers for more money.
Outfitters looking for clients for more money.
You tubers looking for fame that turns into fame that turns into money.
Websites such as this one where you and I can communicate to better our success rates and share ideas and ways to get more points, good hunting, better spots in different states. Hey I like helping out my fellow sportsman from time to time.
The guys Like Rinella and Newburg [which I have no problem with] that maybe or probably started off with good intentions. I think they are very knowledgeable men. Maybe they now have maybe helped create part of the problem due to the amount of people they been able to "influence"
Instagram and FB helping popularize the sport. It seems like everyone wants some fame of of showing off the good time they hand and the trophy they got.
If I remember correctly, several years ago that several states were concerned about Hunter recruitment and getting people into Hunting. They did some advertising as well. Maybe this had something to do with money and budgets as well.
Also Lots of services out there charging to help you obtain your max point and max Hunting opportunity
for money.
There are several more I could list.
I think all of this plays in part of the issues we are having.
A lot of what I said involves money, profit and fame.
I don't have an answer and Love Hunting. I am not a famous guy but have a good reputation in my neck of the woods with a certain group. It makes me feel good that I can help others, But am I part of the problem when helping others when they are successful? Sometimes I think this way. I hope I am wrong.

A great example on the extreme end of the spectrum requires nothing but looking at Rokslide's very own. Aerial scouting mountain bucks, selling coordinates, shooting far more than you can consume, etc.
68B6210C-59DB-43A6-A119-556A186F2F84_(1)_384678800834401.jpeg

DyaHfgGX4AA8Prt (2).jpg

Last edited:
If they can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen. That old line of "don't divide hunters" is the lamest bullshit excuse for people to hide behind.

I take these comments, assess them in the context of what we do and what we hope to accomplish, and then use that process to try craft a better product. That's how business works. Create a better message and do more toward what the customer (audience) is asking for and do it while sticking to you business plan.

Nobody owes any of us in the media world a like, a share, or a living. I've been self-employed most my entire adult life. If I can't handle the realities of operating a business, I should be flipping Big Macs (and nothing against the hard working folks at Mickey D's).
@Randy Newberg is damn national treasure. No body I would rather share a DQ blizzard with on the face of this earth and beyond.

Interesting read. In a changing world that seems to be increasingly less approving of hunting, different tactics must be used to bring education, understanding and support for the outdoor lifestyle we love. While I agree with some of what Matt says about the negative aspects of the “digital trophy” mentality that social media has brought into the hunting world and the ease of access without work for the masses, I think shows like meat eater are using modern technology the right way. Showing that there should be a strong element of respect for the animals you take, a mindfulness of conservation and good stewardship of the land and resources you use as well as showing how integral hunting is to so many people and cultures is a consistent theme in Meat Eater. I think there are lots of hunting shows out there that would have better supported Matt’s position, I just think Steves show is one of the few that doesn’t.

Careful calling out the Rokslide elite they don't take it well

OXN939

WKR
@Randy Newberg is damn national treasure. No body I would rather share a DQ blizzard with on the face of this earth and beyond.

100%. Most people, let alone guys making a TV show, would not voluntarily notch their tag and stop hunting after potentially hitting a buck they verified to be walking around later. Big time respect for Randy showing the ethics we all wish most hunters had.

Unofficial guide to determining whether you're a hunter/influencer-bro or a crusty curmudgeon traditionalist:
TopicBroTraditionalist
Rifles​
Anything chambered in a caliber invented within the last 12 months will do...as long as it has a 25X scope with adjustable turretsAny caliber invented after 1906 is just another new fad
Electronic devices in the fieldGPS with continuous tracking is essential gear...for accurately reporting to your followers the precise mileage & elevation gain of those BRUTAL hikesCan't spell GPS..."been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!"
Chest rigsEssential gear...bino pouch + GPS pouch + RF pouch at a minimumNo go...can't obscure that majestic mane of chest hair poking out of my half-buttoned mackinaw
Baseball capsFlat brim...probably worn over the earsWant 'em like my woman...with a good amount of curvature
Photos with dead animalsLong-arm grip & grin from multiple angles, painstakingly select the shot that best represents "the brand" & post to every platform known to manSingle Polaroid (maybe), goes into a photo album that no one is allowed to open
Ethical limit on number of animals taken per yearAs much as the members of your Crossfit box & their dogs can eat in a year1, maybe 2...as long as you eat all the organs & process the meat yourself with a manual grinder
Social media:love::giggle:(y) #hunterathlete #publiclandowner @vortexoptics @fhfgear @mtnops:mad:
Solely responsible for the decline of western civilization

I lean strongly curmudgeon, but I'll gladly poke fun at both camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.