Unfollowing Hunting Social Media Will Make Hunting Better: Matt Rinella Essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a tendency for a portion of the folks who enjoy public land hunting and the challenges associated with it to look down on hunters who buy guided private land hunts or private leases. If you are a public land land hunter, you should be doing the opposite. You should be letting these types of hunters know just how great it is that is the type of hunt they enjoy. That means they are hunting where you arent and may not want to be. Not that conflicts about things like tag allotment, etc dont arise, but in general they still a large number of common interests such as wildlife conservation, 2a, etc.
I'm on board. I was actually thinking about outfitted hunts in Idaho for elk. I hunt solo and the best years of my knees and back are behind me. Anybody have info on guided hunts in Idaho that are worth the jingle? I want to go buck wild on that private land and I need a good horse, cause I don't know jack about horses. Hash tag glorify private land hunting. Only half joking....I need to experience a guided hunt once in my life.

TheTone

WKR
I bet that Bam guy put on a bunch of muscle at a time in life when most guys are losing muscle mass. I bet he takes a lot of “hill operations” supplements to do so…

Deerscat

FNG
I don't think anyone is whining, but the whole point here is anyone that visits his Instagram can clearly see he is killing way more than he can consume. Be it in the name of "culling" or whatever title you want, its excessive and paints the average hunter in a negative light.
Not sure how u say it’s excessive? The tags are given to the landowner after a biologist deemed it necessary to keep the herd in check.
And if your freezers are full and you want to continue to hunt, you can give meat to family and friends or donate to programs that feed the homeless.

Deerscat

FNG
And now he is literally saving lives with his social media accounts. If you don't believe it just listen to his Blood Origins podcast. No shortage of arrogance there. It was also obvious he didn't read Matt's article.
Wanna make sure I’m reading this correct?

You are accusing someone you don’t know of lying and have never seen the messages from people that may have reached out to him for help.
Then stating a fact that he didn’t read the article?

Cwsharer

FNG
How is there 61 pages of opinions telling a guy he’s not entitled to his opinion?! Also he is right social media is 100% a marketing tool to get you to buy their stuff . Wrong by definition? No. Wrong in the name of exploitation of animals and the “sport” ? Absolutely yes. Most of you wish you had the balls to call out your famous brother with thousands of “followers” while trying to stay true to yourself . I don’t know Matt but kudos to you buddy . I like the podcasts tho....

CJohnson

WKR
It’s funny to see people compare the Robertsons to meateater, Randy, Aron, etc.

I’ll believe that the next time I ride by the mobile home lot and see Aron’s face plastered on a “farmhouse-style” double wide.

OMB

WKR
Lot of people, some large public land areas but a lot of it is mismanaged and neglected. Pushes people to where the animals actually are. I'm not certain what the actual population percentage of the US is in the east, but I'm betting its a lot. I can't remember hearing about crowding 25 years ago, but as most of the eastern NF's have matured they aren't the great habitat that they were, state game lands or state managed areas are frequently better places to hunt, except for all the other hunters.

It's like a burn area.

I only bring it up as it seems like it's repeating itself.

Edit:
Had to look it up. Over 47% of the US population lives in the eastern time zone.
Maturing forests is a big part of the problem east of the Mississippi.
Huntin Fool and Epic are right up there too.
Can't forget OnX. In northern Wisconsin this year we ran into some guys from Georgia headed into our favorite ultra non-obvious grouse and woodcock honey hole. Asked them, "So what made you guys want to hunt here?" and they proceeded to show us on OnX that it suggested to them that it was a great grouse area from some bird cover layer.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
I think there is one major benefit from this discussion- bringing awareness to potential overcrowding. I'm one of the people that is hopefully ruining your spots because I'm the new guy and I'm totally cool with that-sorry. But honestly the increase in hunters and pressure is laughable compared to other activities YouTube and gopro has probably brought more people into camping, overlanding, mountain biking you name it by a Longshot compared to influencer on Instagram has to hunting. I understand hunting is different because once an elk is shot then it's no longer available for another person, but someone who used to have a mountain bike trail to themselves and now has to deal with other newer slower riders is in a similar spot. Complaining and whining about is a waste of time, the answer is probably in working to increase access and opportunities through game and wildlife management. Yes its a slow process but if done correctly over the long term its a major net benefit.
People whining about overcrowding Crack me up, it sounds like the typical "well back in my day" refusing to see things as an opportunity.
Adapt or die, my unrequested opinion.
I also understand there were other points in the article, but this seems to be the most discussed in this thread.

I think there is one major benefit from this discussion- bringing awareness to potential overcrowding. I'm one of the people that is hopefully ruining your spots because I'm the new guy and I'm totally cool with that-sorry. But honestly the increase in hunters and pressure is laughable compared to other activities YouTube and gopro has probably brought more people into camping, overlanding, mountain biking you name it by a Longshot compared to influencer on Instagram has to hunting. I understand hunting is different because once an elk is shot then it's no longer available for another person, but someone who used to have a mountain bike trail to themselves and now has to deal with other newer slower riders is in a similar spot. Complaining and whining about is a waste of time, the answer is probably in working to increase access and opportunities through game and wildlife management. Yes its a slow process but if done correctly over the long term its a major net benefit.
People whining about overcrowding Crack me up, it sounds like the typical "well back in my day" refusing to see things as an opportunity.
Adapt or die, my unrequested opinion.
I also understand there were other points in the article, but this seems to be the most discussed in this thread.

Mountain biking compared to hunting? Not a comparison at all. More people on a trail doesn’t effect the ‘success’ of trail ride. It may annoy you but it has nothing to do with the actual ride. 1 or 100. You can have the same experience or success - whatever you want to call it. This is not possible with hunting.

This has to be one of the most illogical arguments and examples of mental gymnastics posted in this thread.

Next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Mountain biking compared to hunting. Not a comparison at all. More people on a trail doesn’t effect the ‘success’ of trail ride. It may annoy you but it has nothing to do with the actual ride. 1 or 100. You can have the same experience.

Next.

Having a trail overcrowded could 100% affect the success of the ride, it depends what your definition of success is (as in hunting). As with any analogy it does require some flexibility in the critical thinking skills (which I may have overestimated) of the reader, but the point is overcrowding is not unique to hunting, and the thought process that the answer is less hunters is short sighted, and oversimplified.

Having a trail overcrowded could 100% affect the success of the ride, it depends what your definition of success is (as in hunting). As with any analogy it does require some flexibility in the critical thinking skills (which I may have overestimated) of the reader, but the point is overcrowding is not unique to hunting, and the thought process that the answer is less hunters is short sighted, and oversimplified.

The definition of success for hunting is killing. If it’s not then you shouldn’t take a weapon.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
The definition of success for hunting is killing. If it’s not then you shouldn’t take a weapon.

Well that gives me a better understanding of where your thought process is, thinking things are black and white. No more replies needed if you can't think from a different point of view

To you maybe. How can you determine what someone else considers success? Or how someone else interprets how their mountain bike ride is impacted by overcrowding? I don’t ride, but could imagine how a clogged trail could impact my enjoyment

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Fwiw my definition of success on a hunt changes regularly. First time in a new area I may consider seeing an animal successful. Other times it may be an opportunity whether or not I choose to shoot.

Well that gives me a better understanding of where your thought process is, thinking things are black and white. No more replies needed if you can't think from a different point of view

Black and white? Your definition of critical thinking means that all outdoor activities can be lumped together.

Go enjoy some scenery and post on social media while hunters fill their tags. I side with traditional hunters.

To you maybe. How can you determine what someone else considers success? Or how someone else interprets how their mountain bike ride is impacted by overcrowding? I don’t ride, but could imagine how a clogged trail could impact my enjoyment

If the trail is over crowded can you still ride it? If all the elk are gone from an area can you still hunt them?

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
Black and white? Your definition of critical thinking means that all outdoor activities can be lumped together.

Go enjoy some scenery and post on social media while hunters fill their tags. I side with traditional hunters.
Lol I don't even have a personal Instagram. And if you don't understand how an analogy works you probably should not try to weigh in on a debate with multiple nuances

Lol I don't even have a personal Instagram. And if you don't understand how an analogy works you probably should not try to weigh in on a debate with multiple nuances

If the trail is over crowded can you still ride it? If all the elk are gone from an area can you still hunt them?

Status
Not open for further replies.