Unguided West Coast Black Bear

Aaron.F

FNG
I am interested at some point trying to hunt black bears om the West Coast, just to try something different. Out of California, Oregon or Washington is there a reason to go one place over the other?

kickemall

WKR
I'd have to say California as it has a huge bear population with very little pressure once deer season ends. Bear season opens with deer season, generally late Sept. depending on zone, and runs until around Christmas. Lots of public land to hunt with no zones for bear so you can move around if you don't like the area you start in or you get snowed out. Earlier in the season is generally better as bear haven't settled down and are moving more. Later you just need to find the patches of feed and you will find bear. They are still moving in December just not as much.

FI460

FNG
Lots of bears in both California and Oregon. I think Oregon is quite a bit cheaper for nonresident. Long general seasons in both states.

Hoodie

WKR
I'm not big into bear hunting, so take this with a grain of salt.

If you're looking for a backcountry sort of deal from what I've heard Northern California is a good bet. High populations and a lot of glassable terrain on public land in the higher elevation wilderness areas.

Eastern Oregon spring bear can provide a similar experience.

Guys in the Oregon coast range seem to do well hunting clear-cuts. Pretty much the entire coast range is covered in an extensive network of logging roads, so if you're looking for the opposite of a backcountry deal that's an option. There's pretty high densities in the coast range. I personally don't like the amount of road access.

This is a totally unqualified hunch, but I'd guess the Cascades (at least in Oregon) would be the toughest option. Little to no logging on federal lands and the glassable terrain is pretty much limited to burns. That said, many of those burns are full of huckleberries that are a huge draw for bears early in the fall season. The Cascades have good numbers, but I've been surprised at how few I've actually laid eyes on since I've been here.

The Washington Cascades, especially as you get further north, have more alpine habitat so it's probably a lot more comparable to the hunting in the Trinity Alps and other Northern California spots.

OP
A

Aaron.F

FNG
Lots of bears in both California and Oregon. I think Oregon is quite a bit cheaper for nonresident. Long general seasons in both states.

I just took a look and Oregon is significantly cheaper than California, by a couple hundred bucks.. That might help me narrow down my decision.

Oregon

WKR
Between Florence and Bandon on the Oregon Coast. Apply for a Spring bear tag by Feb 15th.
Plan your vacation between May 5th and 30th.
Use OnX to find timber company land. Google timber companies and learn their hunting rules.
Find south facing clearcuts greening up with grass.
Shoot bear.
Pretty easy.

slvrslngr

WKR
Don’t discount Washington. Fall bear opens August 1 in most the state, an early season alpine hunt would be fun if that’s what you’re after.

OP
A

Aaron.F

FNG
Thanks for all the great advice. I am realistically looking at going in 2022, as my 2021 is basically booked up.