Unimaginable 120 yard shot on bull

4rcgoat

WKR
Did you notice that he had no sight on his bow? Tim is pure skill, super impressive.
Years ago I used to watch videos of him shooting doves out of the sky as they flew over,no sight on the bow. Absolutely incredible.

KHNC

WKR
Didnt Tim Wells shoot a brown bear in the forehead as it was running towards him with a bow? Thats ballsy as fk! Kill or be killed shit.

KHNC

WKR
The one I've seen was standing broadside facing him.
yep, thats the one. Head shot after he walks right up to it. I was wrong about the running at him part. however, still pretty dumb or brave to try a head shot with no back up at that range.

Didn't read all of the posts so this may have been mentioned. Also did not watch the YT vid.

So Tim Wells make a 120yd shot and he's a legend
Josh Bowmar makes a 120yd shot and he's most unethical bowhunter on the planet?

Take away personal feelings about these guys and what's the difference between the two?

nphunter

WKR
I always enjoy watching Tim, not just his ability but his personality and appreciation for life, in general, are great. Not everyone can shoot that well but in my experience elk are not jumpy and they will stare for minutes at a time, they are also very big targets. I'm not saying people should start lobbing arrows at critters but if I had to pick an animal to take that kind of shot on, it would be an elk at the top of my list.

Watching this really makes me want to go shoot my traditional bow more, your mind can do so much better of a job than a pin and range finder if you do it enough, I love shooting my trad gear but also love killing elk so I haven't committed to shooting my recurve for elk yet.

Stalker69

WKR
I call bs on the arrow still doing 272 for at 100 yards. My buddies cross bow doesn't maintain that speed, with field points

KurtR

WKR
Didn't read all of the posts so this may have been mentioned. Also did not watch the YT vid.

Take away personal feelings about these guys and what's the difference between the two?
Tim wells is a skilled archer Josh bowman is a meat head who shoots a bow.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I always enjoy watching Tim, not just his ability but his personality and appreciation for life, in general, are great. Not everyone can shoot that well but in my experience elk are not jumpy and they will stare for minutes at a time, they are also very big targets. I'm not saying people should start lobbing arrows at critters but if I had to pick an animal to take that kind of shot on, it would be an elk at the top of my list.

Watching this really makes me want to go shoot my traditional bow more, your mind can do so much better of a job than a pin and range finder if you do it enough, I love shooting my trad gear but also love killing elk so I haven't committed to shooting my recurve for elk yet.

I committed to the stickbow a few years ago...haven't killed anything with it yet but would have taken a 380 bull elk if I were carrying my compound. No regrets. Trad is a thing that either gets inside you and stays or is something you just try for a while and like but never become passionate about. Never commit completely to. When the day comes when you'd rather try & fail to kill a trophy elk with a stickbow than kill it with a compound...then you can call yourself Trad Bowman. That said, my reason for going trad was not to take long shots but to stalk much closer to my prey. I went to full draw on a moose at 10' and that changed me. Went trad right after. Took up a bow after my first kill with a rifle. Sometimes the challenge is the juice. You'll know if and when you're ready.

nphunter

WKR
I committed to the stickbow a few years ago...haven't killed anything with it yet but would have taken a 380 bull elk if I were carrying my compound. No regrets. Trad is a thing that either gets inside you and stays or is something you just try for a while and like but never become passionate about. Never commit completely to. When the day comes when you'd rather try & fail to kill a trophy elk with a stickbow than kill it with a compound...then you can call yourself Trad Bowman. That said, my reason for going trad was not to take long shots but to stalk much closer to my prey. I went to full draw on a moose at 10' and that changed me. Went trad right after. Took up a bow after my first kill with a rifle. Sometimes the challenge is the juice. You'll know if and when you're ready.

Lol, thanks Bruce, I've gone on some Traditional only hunts and love my stick bow but I really love killing stuff, I think you can be both. I've killed multiple elk under 20 yards and honestly, some including the biggest bull I got into this year would be dead if I would have had my recurve. There are a lot of situations where a traditional bow is more of an advantage than a compound, honestly, I would say anything inside of 20 I would rather have my recurve than my compound.
We had a 170"+ buck feed up a fenceline this fall to about 6', a quick string pluck and he would have been toast, but having to draw to anchor and find the pin caused too much movement and they blew out of there. Hunting elk is super thick cover where you only have a second to get a shot off would also be much easier with a trad bow.
For me though I have a goal of killing a 6-point bull elk every year so I'm not sure if I will ever make the switch to for elk but do love hunting deer with it.
When I'm at home and want to run out and fling a few arrows I tend to always grab my trad bow, there is something about the simplicity of instinctive shooting that I really enjoy.

Bighorner

WKR

Their respective histories.