Unique Caliber...just one more gun honey...

Which one?

• 7mm 08 AI

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • .280 AI

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • .284 Win.

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I reload. In a light 7, I’m looking at the Barnes 139 or 145 LRX.
These are the 2 bullets I am using in my 280AI’s.....getting a bit over 3200 FPS with the 139 LRX and about 3175 with the 145 with RL26....and very accurate. I use Quickload Software to work up my loads and confirm with Oehler Chronograph

Laker

FNG
If Weatherby made the new backcountry in 7-08 I would be all over that one. I’m really considering that backcountry in 6.5 creedmore as I prefer short actions more now. It’s an age thing for me.
can someone tell me if AI-ing a 7-08 really makes it worth it? I have had a 7mm 08 since remington introduced them and absolutely love it shooting 162 gr Hornady boat tails.

I'd go with a 7SS. Build it up on a Pierce Ti action with Ti bolt, lightweight stock and a 22" barrel and you'll have a super light mountain setup. I have a 300RCM with similar build that's 5.5 pounds With a Swaro Z5 on it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DRUSS

WKR
I voted for 280AI. I feel it fits the small gap in the cartridge selection you have already. It will shoot those light bullets well, and have the option of launching the 160gr+ weights if you end up on multiple species type mountain hunt. I really like the 7mm08 AI idea I just feel your 6.5s you already have pretty much cover that option performance wise. Maybe the answer could be the max distance you feel this gun will be used and check your bullets tentative impact velocity? That might make a choice easier or completely complicate the choices, lol.

My main reason for doing this in the back of my mind is still to try and find my ultimate mountain rifle for sheep and goats. I thought maybe I found that with the Gunwerks Clymr, but I find myself wanting something more “sleek” and a half pound lighter. I keep going back to my Boswell Ti .300 WSM but would like something lighter in the recoil department. The 7mm 08 AI checks off a lot of the right boxes. Will visit with Steve Boswell in Reno and let you know what we decide. Of course the Weatherby Back Country Ti in 6.5 RPM that I have ordered checks a lot of the boxes as well. Thanks for all of the input guys...

In that case, it sounds like the weatherby may have your desires covered already. We won’t tell your wife though.

Go nostalgic and get a quarter bore. You have everything covered at this point so why not go unique? .257 Roberts, 250 Savage, 257 Weatherby

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
The list is long so get in line 😂😂😂!

Nick...You KNOW you're first in line! Just gotta convince my wife. Will that count as the "blood relative" thing for hunting AK? :)

I talked to Steve Boswell in Reno. He is a minimum 6-7 months out. Still not sure on caliber. Thought about scraping the plan above and going with another 6.5 PRC to be honest...