Unique Caliber...just one more gun honey...

Which one?

• 7mm 08 AI

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • .280 AI

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • .284 Win.

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
7-08 AI is about perfection in a true short action; a 244 AI would be a fun little toy though.

If looking more unique I’d say a 257Roberts setup to shoot heavies. The 257Wby is another great choice.
The 270 Sherman short would be another unique but very fun cartridge.

Rob5589

WKR
I love the 7/08. AI will add some speed. The 7/08 SAW looks really interesting and easy to load for. 162 grain ELD @ 2900 in a short action sounds awesome.
I ran a .284 in a comp gun. Great round in a long action but, straight 284 brass is non existent which means necking up 6.5/284 Lapua brass. Great brass but you really should neck turn to avoid donuts, which is just another step that takes up time.

You said it was for a Boswell build.. I think a Ti-SLR chambered in 7mm-08ai would quickly become your favorite mountain rifle.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
NULA 284 if you want the best. I have no issues with brass...it takes longer to type this than to resize 6.5-284 Lapua & Winchester makes fairly regular runs of 284 brass. Just got my matching 6.5-284 so now have both choices...waiting on a new scope & dies to start load development. 284 is a fun caliber to play with.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I hate to say this but a 280 would be sweet.

I used to be just like you and have a ton of rifles but I have slimmed down to single digit rifle count and my newest are getting switchlugs. Now I'm focused on shooting out barrels now. Its way easier to spin up another barrel and spin it on for a caliber change then to spin up a whole new gun. Its also easier to buy a new stock or chassis if I want the gun to feel different.

IMHO spend your money buying bullets and shoot as much as you can instead of a new rifle and optics. Start with 200 rounds per gun and when those are shot up see which rifles get cut and see if you still desire something new.

Now my stable looks like this:
Long action heavy weight rifle
Long action light weight rifle
Short action heavy weight rifle
Short action light weight rifle
338 lapua sized action and bolt switchlug

Shrek

WKR
I voted for the 7-08ai but have you considered a 7mm WSM in a mid length action ? Throated for 180’s. .220 freebore. Wyatt’s has a new magazine box for the SA 700 that will get you 3.232” in the magazine.

Wapiti1

WKR
As stated in the first post, I left off the big stuff and the small stuff. As far as bigs go, I have a .340 Weatherby Mark V, a Kimber Talkeetna in .375 H&H and a Ruger Semi Custom .375 Ruger. Too many small calibers to list...

I always like to see how big stuff is classified. I don't consider it big unless it starts with a .4 and gives you a headache after 10 rounds.

Back on topic. I have a couple of .284 Winchester rifles. It is a very nice cartridge in a properly set up short action.
Jeremy

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
I voted for the 7-08ai but have you considered a 7mm WSM in a mid length action ? Throated for 180’s. .220 freebore. Wyatt’s has a new magazine box for the SA 700 that will get you 3.232” in the magazine.

Yes, 7mm WSM is a consideration. I'm going to talk to Steve at the Sheep Show to get his thoughts as well. Some builders definately like some calibers better than others. In past conversations he was all for trying a 7mm 08 AI.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Not what you want to hear.
But I think you have way to many already to be proficient.
I'd sell about 3 of those, skip the new one and go to a shooting school or an adventure hunting trip.

I have an 800 yard range at my house. I shoot each of these plenty from every position imaginable and they will all do their part at 800 yards. Define "proficient"...I guess if I wanted to shoot a mile, I could be better, but for hunting the mountains I think I do fine. Whether I buy a new one or not will have ZERO impact on the adventure hunting trips I already have planned (Kodiak for Brownies in the spring, Yukon for Dalls in the fall and Mexico for Deserts in the Winter.). A guy only has so much time. A shooting school has been on my radar for a long time and I feel I could benefit from one. A guy can always learn. AS far as selling 3 of them...I wish...For the money one pays for "custom", they hold no value accept to the guy who had it built. If I was in to the "resale" of guns, I'd stick to production rifles.

I am narrowing the field to 7mm WSM and 7mm 08 AI. (and I haven't completely ruled out the .284) I'll let Steve talk me into one or the other. Keep voting...Love seeing the results. Ton of .280 AI fans here.

I have an 800 yard range at my house. I shoot each of these plenty from every position imaginable and they will all do their part at 800 yards. Define "proficient"...I guess if I wanted to shoot a mile, I could be better, but for hunting the mountains I think I do fine. Whether I buy a new one or not will have ZERO impact on the adventure hunting trips I already have planned (Kodiak for Brownies in the spring, Yukon for Dalls in the fall and Mexico for Deserts in the Winter.). A guy only has so much time. A shooting school has been on my radar for a long time and I feel I could benefit from one. A guy can always learn. AS far as selling 3 of them...I wish...For the money one pays for "custom", they hold no value accept to the guy who had it built. If I was in to the "resale" of guns, I'd stick to production rifles.

I am narrowing the field to 7mm WSM and 7mm 08 AI. (and I haven't completely ruled out the .284) I'll let Steve talk me into one or the other. Keep voting...Love seeing the results. Ton of .280 AI fans here.

7 WSM is too close to 7 LRM IMO.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
Is this even a real question?

The question is real, but “the names have been changed to protect the innocent.”

7 WSM is too close to 7 LRM IMO.

This is a valid point, that’s why I’m still leaning 7mm 08 AI.

7 saum then.
Didn't mean to offend.
But apparently you have more mental capacity tons more free time, and alot more money then me.
Have fun with whatever you do.

No offense taken. I just found the proficiency statement odd. Everyone’s situation is different. 7 SAUM has been “thrown around” in my mind.

Enjoying the comments everyone. Happy New Year. Keep voting!

Looks like you have the performance pretty well covered. Any interest in something more historical? Like a Sharps in .45-110 or something?

Shrek

WKR
For me it goes to what do I want to do with the rifle , then the bullet I want , then the chambering to push that bullet to the velocity I want. A 7mm wsm pushing a 180gr bullet is max I can shoot without a brake and not much of that before I’m jittery and yanking the trigger. I can handle my 6.5 saum pretty well with 150-156gr bullets so that’s what I take west. A 260 rem pushing 140gr bullets is about perfect for deer back east where I live. Less that 6.5 caliber bullets and the BC’s go downhill fast. I’m going to build a 7mm wsm just because I want to but it will likely be left at home when I go hunting. Anything bigger than 7mm will have a brake and will be much heavier. Like 338 Terminator and bigger. Once I screw a brake on bring on the madness ! JMO.

OP
Kotaman

Kotaman

WKR
My main reason for doing this in the back of my mind is still to try and find my ultimate mountain rifle for sheep and goats. I thought maybe I found that with the Gunwerks Clymr, but I find myself wanting something more “sleek” and a half pound lighter. I keep going back to my Boswell Ti .300 WSM but would like something lighter in the recoil department. The 7mm 08 AI checks off a lot of the right boxes. Will visit with Steve Boswell in Reno and let you know what we decide. Of course the Weatherby Back Country Ti in 6.5 RPM that I have ordered checks a lot of the boxes as well. Thanks for all of the input guys...