Unique hunts

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, looking for some ideas for hunts other then your common big game species, for example Sika, aoudad, wild hogs. These are the ones that I know of but are there others that Im not aware of? Not only invasive species, but lets say any species that doesn't have it's own forum here.

Thanks!

mritter

FNG
Many opportunities for the three you mentioned here in Texas, especially hogs.

Catchfish

WKR
Javelina in Arizona, Himalayan Snowcock in Nevada, Seaducks in Alaska (emperor goose, brant, eiders), Musk ox

Fitzwho

WKR
Ibex and Gemsbuk in New Mexico to go along with the Barbary Sheep (aoudad). Tough draw but really cool animals.

I think there is an area in Florida you can hunt Sambar Stags on public land.

Axis and Mouflon in Hawaii.

Muskox is high on my list.

Nilgai and Axis free range in Texas.

I would agree with Catchfish above that Snowcocks in Nevada is probably the most unique hunt you can do in North America. I know it’s not big game, but I can guarantee there are less snowcock killed in Nevada every year than Mountain Goats.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Bison, non residents get 1 Bison per lifetime in Alaska.
Kodiak Grizzly Bear
Roosevelt Elk on Afognak or Raspberry Island
Caribou on Kodiak Island (they’re feral reindeer)
Sitka Blacktail Deer In Prince William Sound our Southeast Alaska (looks nothing like what I see people do yo chase mule deer or whitetail in the states)
Muskox, another non resident 1 per lifetime.
About all I can think of for Alaska. All but the Bison Hunt is done on islands so you get to deal with a unique subspecies of each animal (not too sure about muskox, they’re weird).

glass eye

FNG
I leave on Thursday to Hawaii for the Nov 2 opener of upland birds. Lots of species that we know like quail, pheasant, chukar, but also lots of exotics; Black, Grey, and Erkel's Francolin, Kalij Pheasant, exotic doves, Sand Grouse.

Jardo

WKR
Come to Hawaii and whack some axis, mouflon sheep, pigs, goats and the catch a marlin.

3f7ed7a5a3d2aa9c05f0552a7a1ca312.jpg
e6796ebe4349f1418a67d4d7563783b8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
Muskox is unique and glad I got a chance to hunt there where I did in AK...my buddy and I were some of the last hunters to ever hunt that place under a trophy tag. We both shot B&C bulls, but the experience and getting a chance to spend time in Shishmaref is what made it unique.

muskox%20109.JPG

Also drew the white sands oryx in New Mexico. Sort of unique, but a high pressure hunt as you only have a 2.5 day window to hunt. Fun, but would be wayyyy better if you had 4-5 full days.

IMG_1522_1_.JPG

For pure value per experience and variety in one trip...Kodiak blacktails, sea ducks, and fishing. Its great staying on the boat and being able to get out of the crap weather.

IMG_1577_4_1.JPG

IMG_1600_1_1.JPG

IMG_1604_2_1.JPG

Bison, non residents get 1 Bison per lifetime in Alaska.
Kodiak Grizzly Bear
Roosevelt Elk on Afognak or Raspberry Island
Caribou on Kodiak Island (they’re feral reindeer)
Sitka Blacktail Deer In Prince William Sound our Southeast Alaska (looks nothing like what I see people do yo chase mule deer or whitetail in the states)
Muskox, another non resident 1 per lifetime.
About all I can think of for Alaska. All but the Bison Hunt is done on islands so you get to deal with a unique subspecies of each animal (not too sure about muskox, they’re weird).
Are you very familiar with all of these hunts?

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I'm familiar with Sitka Blacktail. I've done that one a couple times in Prince William Sound on Montague Island in August. Lots of really big brown bears, up mountain, down mountain and lots of rain with dense vegetation. It's some work.

For what I want to do I've just done research for Afognak Elk and Bison. Everyone I've talked to says that Afognak Elk is one of the most miserable, challenging hunts they've ever done. Its Late fall/Early winter in the Gulf of Alaska so you get tons of weather variables and the elk themselves are claimed to be the biggest bodied elk around and while their antlers dont get as large as the Lower 48, they are supposed to be thicker/heavier. The Bison have a few different hunts you can do and they're wild. There are some fees involved (land use, trespass fees etc) depending on where you hunt.

Muskox I've seen on MeatEater, its a guided island winter hunt.

Ive seen the feral reindeer/Caribou on SoloHntr as well, they look smaller than the caribou I'm used to seeing (Nelchina herd).

Kodiak Grizz is self explanatory, biggest browns on the planet.

Last edited: