Unit 10 S. Of Lake De Smet Walk in Application

BDoerr

FNG
Probably the worst year ever to decide to pick up an antelope itch, but we are hoping for a unit 10 or 15 leftover doe and more unlikely, but still possible regular tag in 10.

Ive marked out every possible accessible public area in 10 according to county maps, Onx, and any other data I could dig up, and that gives us roughly 3,000 acres to stomp around in with 200+ other hunters… fun times. I read some posts from back in 2016 that stated there is a large walk in application area south of Lake De Smet in some prime habitat that would open up a lot of real estate and was curious if this is still a thing or if it’s vanished in the past 5 years?

Not as worried about 15, it appears that if your willing to walk there is plenty of land to separate yourself from other parties.

Either way, we’re looking forward to cutting our teeth on a potential bust so we can have things dialed in on future hunts when we have more points to play with.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The Walk-In Area that was south of Lake DeSmet disappeared a couple years ago when the land was sold.

A word of advice, all the roads you see on OnX may not be public roads.

ClearCreek

wytx

WKR
Yes, check with the Road and bridge Dept for that county for which roads are in fact public.

OP
BDoerr

BDoerr

FNG
Well, you confirmed what I was thinking was the case.

Like I said, we’re not expecting much in 10 except for some good scenery and a learning experience. Who knows, maybe we’ll get lucky and put one to sleep the night before opener that’ll be waiting for us (and probably 3 other groups) at shooting light on one of the small public parcels!

Thanks for the response, if anyone has any other free advice feel free to PM me :)

ZackLee

FNG
I hunted here in '19, and did the same map scouting you did. Access is much worse in person than you expect, and I got the impression some landowners are pretty sick of desperate antelope hunters bending the rules. You'll see a lot of people illegally parked along the side of the highways. The local authorities seemed to ignore it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they started cracking down. When I sorted it all out, I found there was really only one access that was completely legal and had antelope. It's an odd hunt, but it was still fun (in a "what the hell is going on here" sort of way) and I got a buck and a doe on the first day. I might see you out there this year!