Unit 101-109 ALW antlered mule deer

Chanlon86

FNG
I drew a mule deer buck tag for unit 101-109 ruby mountains.Ive never been to this unit. I've been trying to read everything I can from other people's experiences. My season is late October. This is actually my first western big game hunt, just moved out west 3 years ago. I lived in Illinois the past 30 years whitetail hunting from a tree stand. Any info on weather in the mountains during that time of the year and good areas to locate mule deer. I was looking at the southwest end of the range near Gilbert creek and McCutchen Creek. I thought there would be less people and there's quite a large habitable area with water. Im more interested in filling the freezer than looking for antlers. Thank you for any info. God bless and stay safe out there.

Attachments

• 20200527_185902.jpg
    20200527_185902.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 57

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
im in the same zone this year, first big game hunt ever for me so i asked a similar question in the rubie mountains help thread. someone responded with the below. Are you planning on backpacking in?

Be prepared for any type of weather. I was in there early Oct a couple years ago, at around 9000ft and it was beautiful only one day of rain. Had a buddy that got packed in for this hunt, and got snowed in in the tent for 3-4 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lif

WKR
I drew a mule deer buck tag for unit 101-109 ruby mountains.Ive never been to this unit. I've been trying to read everything I can from other people's experiences. My season is late October. This is actually my first western big game hunt, just moved out west 3 years ago. I lived in Illinois the past 30 years whitetail hunting from a tree stand. Any info on weather in the mountains during that time of the year and good areas to locate mule deer. I was looking at the southwest end of the range near Gilbert creek and McCutchen Creek. I thought there would be less people and there's quite a large habitable area with water. Im more interested in filling the freezer than looking for antlers. Thank you for any info. God bless and stay safe out there.
Posting maps and specifics of where you are going may not be the best way to keep your spot to yourself. I generally try to find someone who is willing to discuss the unit, then do all information sharing through pm or phone conversation. Not telling you what to do, just trying to help. Good luck.

OP
Chanlon86

Chanlon86

FNG
im in the same zone this year, first big game hunt ever for me so i asked a similar question in the rubie mountains help thread. someone responded with the below. Are you planning on backpacking in?

I havent decided if I'm backpacking yet. Everyone is saying just get off the road a mile or two and it will be good enough to find bucks. I think after a scouting trip I'll decide if my best odds will be to stay out in the bush. Also I see your point about not sharing maps. I didn't think about it that way. Also if you want to text me here's my number. I would appreciate the help. 618-975-3482

Chanlon, My fellow Illinoisan! I drew archery for the same area. We spent a weekend up around Lamiolle canyon.
That map area you posted is still a huge area, if someone walks up on you it's not because of that map.
I too, moved out here 4 years ago now. This is totally different hunting than what I am used to hunting whitetail down in the Shawnee.
The guys I spoke with said the same thing, get off the beaten path a bit. Are scouting was cut short because a snow storm hit and dumped 6 inches overnight. This was over the Memorial day weekend.
Hunting out of Lamiolle canyon they said to move past Dollar lake. We didn't get any time down by Gilbert creek because of the weather.

OP
Chanlon86

Chanlon86

FNG
Chanlon, My fellow Illinoisan! I drew archery for the same area. We spent a weekend up around Lamiolle canyon.
That map area you posted is still a huge area, if someone walks up on you it's not because of that map.
I too, moved out here 4 years ago now. This is totally different hunting than what I am used to hunting whitetail down in the Shawnee.
The guys I spoke with said the same thing, get off the beaten path a bit. Are scouting was cut short because a snow storm hit and dumped 6 inches overnight. This was over the Memorial day weekend.
Hunting out of Lamiolle canyon they said to move past Dollar lake. We didn't get any time down by Gilbert creek because of the weather.

Yeah im going to start my scouting around gilbert creek. See what the road situation looks like. Im sure ill drive up Lamiolle and take a look but I can imagine its going to be crowded opening morning.