Unit 144 NV - Archery Mule Deer - Guidance?

Drew a non-res archery mule deer tag for NV Unit 144 and just spent 3 days scouting the unit (Diamond Mtns). I’ve run into some road blocks regarding access and thought I’d reach out for anyone on here who has experience in this unit for some possible guidance.

I have a long winded post written up with details... but I've opted to keep it simple and will share details in comments below if asked or PM'd.

Basically, no trails and lots of private around base of range so access is limited to a few areas. Plan is/was to camp & hunt from the top. 4-wheeled it as high as I could and then attempted to hammer straight up. Ran into just a sea of thick waist high+ brush at every access point I could find. Drove around the entire range and ran into pretty much the same thing everywhere I attempted. Seems to be overgrown with all the above average rain the area had in March-May. Did manage to glass up some animals from some lower vantage points... even 2 shooter bucks. Not in areas conducive to stalking. Couldn't imagine anyone getting inside 100 yards in that stuff. Attempted to push through it but it just was ridiculous and led to pulling ticks off face and dodging some snakes. It just wasn't practical.

Access and habitat is not what I thought it was and now considering turning in the tag to get the points back and save for a "better" hunt experience. Was looking for a NV unit I could throw in the out-of-state mix and draw every few years. Really try and learn it. Thought I'd give it a shot on here for some possible info that would help accessing the top before I throw in the towel on this one.

cscott925

FNG
Drew a non-res archery mule deer tag for NV Unit 144 and just spent 3 days scouting the unit (Diamond Mtns). I’ve run into some road blocks regarding access and thought I’d reach out for anyone on here who has experience in this unit for some possible guidance.

I have a long winded post written up with details... but I've opted to keep it simple and will share details in comments below if asked or PM'd.

Basically, no trails and lots of private around base of range so access is limited to a few areas. Plan is/was to camp & hunt from the top. 4-wheeled it as high as I could and then attempted to hammer straight up. Ran into just a sea of thick waist high+ brush at every access point I could find. Drove around the entire range and ran into pretty much the same thing everywhere I attempted. Seems to be overgrown with all the above average rain the area had in March-May. Did manage to glass up some animals from some lower vantage points... even 2 shooter bucks. Not in areas conducive to stalking. Couldn't imagine anyone getting inside 100 yards in that stuff. Attempted to push through it but it just was ridiculous and led to pulling ticks off face and dodging some snakes. It just wasn't practical.

Access and habitat is not what I thought it was and now considering turning in the tag to get the points back and save for a "better" hunt experience. Was looking for a NV unit I could throw in the out-of-state mix and draw every few years. Really try and learn it. Thought I'd give it a shot on here for some possible info that would help accessing the top before I throw in the towel on this one.
Did you decide to keep the tag? I was considering using this as a second or third choice this year and have been doing some online scouting. Sounds like a tough archery hunt from your scouting trip!

OP
burritosavage
Did you decide to keep the tag? I was considering using this as a second or third choice this year and have been doing some online scouting. Sounds like a tough archery hunt from your scouting trip!
Some other hunt plans came together in another state so I ended up turning in the tag. I did find some bucks and think it would be a great 2nd or 3rd option. I'll PM you with further details.

NYFarmer

FNG
Hey! I actually went to this unit in 2020, it was a doozey.. very little rainfall made locating bucks extremely challenging. Access was horrible as you mentioned. You really get stuck having to either ask permission or take a roundabout way into the area as trails are limited. I'd say without a fourwheeler this is a hard hunt to do. Hiking in for an overnight with enough water for 2-3 days was difficult to say the least! One of those units you'd prolly have to take a few trips to stash water pre-season. Let me know if you plan on going back or would like to compare notes.

Huntnnw

WKR
drew rifle tags and had 0 issues hunting public land and had pretty much anywhere we hunted to ourselves

Hey! I actually went to this unit in 2020, it was a doozey.. very little rainfall made locating bucks extremely challenging. Access was horrible as you mentioned. You really get stuck having to either ask permission or take a roundabout way into the area as trails are limited. I'd say without a fourwheeler this is a hard hunt to do. Hiking in for an overnight with enough water for 2-3 days was difficult to say the least! One of those units you'd prolly have to take a few trips to stash water pre-season. Let me know if you plan on going back or would like to compare notes.
Id love to chat with you about this unit and what you experienced. Shoot me a message!

Id love to talk with you about the unit some. Have this tag and wont have the chance to get boots on the ground until 2 days before the opener. Done a fair share of e-scouting but would love to chat.

Askuaskme

FNG
I’m in the same situation as many others on here. This is my first time with a tag in Nevada and won’t be able to get to the unit until the archery season is open. I also have an Antelope tag for 141/143 at the same time. Should I just plan to utilize 143 for better chances at success for both? Would love some insight on getting to public access on the west side of 144 if you know which roads are already gated off.

thanks for any help you can provide a newb, just excited to get out there.

NYFarmer

FNG
Didn't hunt 143, I heard there was more road access in that unit so expect more ATVs. Antelope are going to be found more in the flats, grazing down low earlier in the morning and moving up at night. Hunting both mullets and antelope at the same time will be difficult as in my experience in the early season in 144 the muleys will stay up high. Not sure how the water supply is like out there this year but last year it was bad, I'd suggest base camping near your vehicle and going in light each day unless you want to pack in a lot of water. If you can find water to filter you're in an even better position to find some good animals.
I'd probably suggest hunting 143 to have a shot a both to maximize opportunity and time spent glassing. You'll be a lot happier to glass up antelope in 143 rather than in 144 where you can't fill your tag on them.

If you don't have an ATV stay away from road access as I was out in a drainage and next thing I knew I had a side by side running up the whole thing, if there were any animals they were long gone after he drove through it with his RZR.

Askuaskme

FNG
Didn't hunt 143, I heard there was more road access in that unit so expect more ATVs. Antelope are going to be found more in the flats, grazing down low earlier in the morning and moving up at night. Hunting both mullets and antelope at the same time will be difficult as in my experience in the early season in 144 the muleys will stay up high. Not sure how the water supply is like out there this year but last year it was bad, I'd suggest base camping near your vehicle and going in light each day unless you want to pack in a lot of water. If you can find water to filter you're in an even better position to find some good animals.
I'd probably suggest hunting 143 to have a shot a both to maximize opportunity and time spent glassing. You'll be a lot happier to glass up antelope in 143 rather than in 144 where you can't fill your tag on them.

If you don't have an ATV stay away from road access as I was out in a drainage and next thing I knew I had a side by side running up the whole thing, if there were any animals they were long gone after he drove through it with his RZR.
Thanks so much for the info! Really helps me have a place to start from. Good luck out there.

So does this range become much more accessible with an ATV?

Huntnnw

WKR
anybody own onx or basemaps? I have no idea what the issue is with this hunt for public land? hunted it and had absolutely 0 issues hunting it

If you ran into the gates blocking the trail those are not for private land those are to keep farm animals out of the mountain range. It is not private property.

I’m in the same situation as many others on here. This is my first time with a tag in Nevada and won’t be able to get to the unit until the archery season is open. I also have an Antelope tag for 141/143 at the same time. Should I just plan to utilize 143 for better chances at success for both? Would love some insight on getting to public access on the west side of 144 if you know which roads are already gated off.

thanks for any help you can provide a newb, just excited to get out there.
The gates are not for private land it is to keep out farm animals I have been hunting there for 3 years now and each time I have success. The gates tricked me to until I talked to one of the farmers in the valley