Unit 16c New Mexico

Gable

FNG
So I have my first Elk hunt set for late October of this year. Has anyone hunted this unit? I have a guide setup, but I’m just curious if anyone can give me some advice as to the unit. I am also trying to train physically for the hunt. Any ideas or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Getting physically prepared depends on your current condition and listening to your guide on the type of hunt your doing.

OP
G

Gable

FNG
All my guide has said is you need to be "in-shape" and that the terrain is not that rugged. He is on vacation now and I dont want to bother him. I will be 42 in a month and ride a Peleton bike for 30 minutes 3 times a week and walk bleachers another day or two a week. Anything else I should be doing?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
All my guide has said is you need to be "in-shape" and that the terrain is not that rugged. He is on vacation now and I dont want to bother him. I will be 42 in a month and ride a Peleton bike for 30 minutes 3 times a week and walk bleachers another day or two a week. Anything else I should be doing?
It's most likely be a very long time before you draw that tag again. There's a lot of things out of your control physical condition isn't one of them. You need to everything in your power to go wherever, whenever because that gains you opportunities. Don't have any "I wished" at the end of the hunt be one of the variables under your control.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the unit a few years ago. The best hunting is well away from roads. The terrain is gentle by elk standards, but the distance you will need to cover is decent. Elk density is not spectacular in that particular unit, but there are some great bulls in there.

ShakeDown

WKR
The truth is a good guide is going to use your level of fitness as a measuring stick for your hunt.

As mentioned above you have a lot of variables that are not within your control. Do not let your fitness limit your hunt as one of those variables.

An extension of this is your attitude. If you bring energy and a can-do attitude it will take you a lot further than complaining and negativity.

Just my 0.02 and worth the price you paid for it.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gable

FNG
The truth is a good guide is going to use your level of fitness as a measuring stick for your hunt.

As mentioned above you have a lot of variables that are not within your control. Do not let your fitness limit your hunt as one of those variables.

An extension of this is your attitude. If you bring energy and a can-do attitude it will take you a lot further than complaining and negativity.

Just my 0.02 and with the price you paid for it.

Increase your lung capacity by doing a complete workout, not just your legs. If you swim well, that is the best way to accomplish this. It will train you to regulate your breathing while performing constant resistance training.

Your guide does this a lot and will likely be in pretty good shape. To me, rugged terrain doesn't mean it won't be steep in places or have a lot of ups and downs. Rugged to me means rocky with unsure footing in place.

Make sure you have footwear that will not make your feet sore but handle whatever weather you may see. Some 200 gram insulated boots should work well.

mlgc20

WKR
I hunted the unit a few years ago. The best hunting is well away from roads. The terrain is gentle by elk standards, but the distance you will need to cover is decent. Elk density is not spectacular in that particular unit, but there are some great bulls in there.
This was my experience as well in this area. Lots of vehicles on the roads. The terrain wasn't extreme. But, you'll need to cover miles. I'd be ready to cover 10 miles a day. The elevation isn't substantial. But, if you're coming from sea level the 7K feet will have a bit of an impact. Footwear has been mentioned, but the importance can't be overstated.

I'm going to be in that area for my daughters mule deer hunt. I am a little older than you. But, I am walking 8-10 miles 6 days a week. About 1 day a week I do it with a loaded pack. In my case, I'm trying to make sure I enjoy it, rather than just survive it.

OP
G

Gable

FNG
Makes a ton of sense. I am really trying with the time I have left as it is approaching quickly. I was very fortunate to draw the tag (on my first try) and I do not want to screw up the opportunity.

cedahm

FNG
I've
To me, rugged terrain doesn't mean it won't be steep in places or have a lot of ups and downs. Rugged to me means rocky with unsure footing in place.

Make sure you have footwear that will not make your feet sore but handle whatever weather you may see. Some 200 gram insulated boots should work well.

hunted 16C twice the last 5 years (1st rifle on my own tag in 2016 and 2nd rifle with a buddy last year). IMO - as quoted above - it's 'rugged' (rocky, steep in places, lots of sidehilling and canyon maneuvering, etc), but the total elevation gain in the unit is pretty mild by a lot of elk country measures.

Work on hiking broken terrain and general cardio in the gear you'll use on the trip.

And pray for a better moisture year. It was rough last year. Before we showed up for the 2nd rifle hunt, they hadn't received measurable precipitation in 71 days. It finally snowed 6" the 2nd to last night, but water was tough to come by and the elk were scattered.

OP
G

Gable

FNG
I've

hunted 16C twice the last 5 years (1st rifle on my own tag in 2016 and 2nd rifle with a buddy last year). IMO - as quoted above - it's 'rugged' (rocky, steep in places, lots of sidehilling and canyon maneuvering, etc), but the total elevation gain in the unit is pretty mild by a lot of elk country measures.

Work on hiking broken terrain and general cardio in the gear you'll use on the trip.

And pray for a better moisture year. It was rough last year. Before we showed up for the 2nd rifle hunt, they hadn't received measurable precipitation in 71 days. It finally snowed 6" the 2nd to last night, but water was tough to come by and the elk were scattered.
Super helpful. Thank you. Did you shoot anything in 16c?

I've

Sounds like boots will need good ankle support, a heel cup that keeps your foot in place, and toe box that doesn't pinch to cause hotspots/blisters...

wapitibob

WKR
That unit was my first in NM. More is always better but you'll be fine. I was 50 and did zero prep.