Unit 2 non resident muzzy elk

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy drew a Unit 2 muzzle loader bull tag with 29 points and I am in charge of helping him on his hunt. He hasn't hunted in many years do to having children and work and all, now he is retired. Ive been in the unit a couple times but not for years. If anyone has any experience there and wouldn't mind sharing information please PM me. Thanks

Unit 2 is awesome. One of the better units in Pennsylvania. Try up Dents Run and around Winslow Hill. Lol

So many Colorado posts people assume you know what they are referring to. You couldn’t pay me to hunt there!

Unit 2 is awesome. One of the better units in Pennsylvania. Try up Dents Run and around Winslow Hill. Lol

So many Colorado posts people assume you know what they are referring to. You couldn’t pay me to hunt there!

Sounds like sour grapes , Indian Summer because you don't have the points to draw Unit 2?

To the original poster, best of luck! Can be as good as elk hunting gets in CO in my experience from 13 to 25 yrs ago.

I’m well aware that like most every state there is good hunting in limited quota units in Colorado. But I don’t buy points there. Not interested. And certainly not interested in an otc license there! Not sour grapes at all. I know nothing about unit 2 or any units there. It just makes me shake my head how so many people don’t even specify the state they are referring to on threads to do with Colorado as if it’s the only place to hunt. That in itself is a red flag. Good luck in unit 2! Lol

cnelk

WKR
I read on another forum that the Walker Ranch in Unit 2 stopped their trespass fee to hunt their place this year

I know a couple guys that arrowed a couple 350”+ bulls in Unit 2 a few years ago.

I’ll see if my buddy will reply to this thread.

Jaquomo

WKR
I read on another forum that the Walker Ranch in Unit 2 stopped their trespass fee to hunt their place this year

I know a couple guys that arrowed a couple 350”+ bulls in Unit 2 a few years ago.

I'm cnelk's buddy. We did kill two great bulls with recurves, actually the two biggest bulls we saw or cammed from June until we tagged out on day 6. We had never seen either of these bulls before we killed them. But there aren't big bulls behind every tree, and the hunting has some unique challenges because of the thick PJs where they bed, and the rapid shift in thermals in the mornings.. Being able to reach out with a rifle, er.. muzzleloader during the rut will definitely help.

Several things - don't spread yourself too thin, learn how to score big elk on the hoof, and don't get greedy. If a bull looks big and makes you happy, shoot him. An inch or two here and there makes 20" difference in the end. If you pass one up, you may never see him again, and he may be busted up if you do find him again. There are long, narrow bulls there that look phenomenal from the side, but might only have a 28-30" inside spread. Thats why you see side view hero shots often.

Every year there are guys who draw these units without much elk hunting experience, and they often strike out. Even if you have hunted mountain elk a LOT, this area is probably unlike anyplace you've ever hunted. Good luck to your buddy, and congrats on drawing a great tag.

Wheels

WKR
Anyone know if the roads that go thru private in the unit are gated and locked? Looks like in the southern end of the unit a lot of access would be restricted if that’s the case. I drew a tag in the unit and won’t get out there until August to scout.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider

That would be awesome if they did. Thanks

tracker12

WKR
I hunted the Walker Ranch on a Archery hunt 8 years ago and 6 years ago with my buddy. Great Unit with an amazing amount of Bulls. Think water when you plan your hunt. Curious why no hunting on the Walker Ranch I thought Jimmy owned it now.

Jaquomo

WKR
My understanding is that there is an ownership dispute going on between Jimmy and Dawn (Wanda's daughter). I have heard a lot more but won't pass on heresay.

Jaquomo

WKR
Anyone know if the roads that go thru private in the unit are gated and locked? Looks like in the southern end of the unit a lot of access would be restricted if that’s the case. I drew a tag in the unit and won’t get out there until August to scout.
Lots of access roads through private are open. Also, just because a road is posted doesn't mean it is private. We turned Jimmy Horton in to the BLM and CPW for posting BLM as "Hunters Domain", and they made him take the signs down. Trust your GPS, not the signs.

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy drew a Unit 2 muzzle loader bull tag with 29 points and I am in charge of helping him on his hunt. He hasn't hunted in many years do to having children and work and all, now he is retired. Ive been in the unit a couple times but not for years. If anyone has any experience there and wouldn't mind sharing information please PM me. Thanks
I hunted Unit 2 for cow elk last year. Not a pro on the unit by any means but if you have specific questions happy to help in a PM

Wheels

WKR
Lots of access roads through private are open. Also, just because a road is posted doesn't mean it is private. We turned Jimmy Horton in to the BLM and CPW for posting BLM as "Hunters Domain", and they made him take the signs down. Trust your GPS, not the signs.
Thank you