Unit 20-Colorado

Going to burn my elk points this year, and can’t go archery due to another hunt I have planned. I’ve decided on Unit 20, and have enough points to draw both 1st Rifle and the Dec Late Bull tags. I live within 30 minutes of the unit and will have ample time to both scout and hunt either season. Looking for feedback and recommendations on 1st season vs dec season for anyone that’s hunted this unit. Im pretty familiar with the unit but haven’t ever hunted it for elk. Thanks in advance!

Overdrive

WKR
I've helped on some hunts in 20 and the one thing I'll tell you is the late December hunts get tough because the forest service roads shut down Dec 1st to vehicular travel, the over all access to where we were glassing up Elk sucked because of the development up there and marked private road's.

I'd look at the 1st season so you can access areas on the north end of the unit easier and scout the burn on that end.

JZelk22

FNG
I've helped on some hunts in 20 and the one thing I'll tell you is the late December hunts get tough because the forest service roads shut down Dec 1st to vehicular travel, the over all access to where we were glassing up Elk sucked because of the development up there and marked private road's.

I'd look at the 1st season so you can access areas on the north end of the unit easier and scout the burn on that end.
I hunting the late season last year and I agree with this comment. Finding access can be a real pain, and there are some solid spots that are land locked by private. If you find them though, they will likely be in numbers. I have the 3rd season this year and am trying to figure out where they'll be in relation to the late season last year.

NMJones

FNG
I'm in the same boat as you just one year down the line (2023 season). Which hunt did you end up picking? I'm leaning towards 1st rifle to try to catch the end of the rut. Before the fires I was seeing heavy rut activity around OCT. 10th so I'm optimistic. I've been scouting the last few weeks and will continue to scout the rest of the year. If you want to exchange some scouting info let me know.

L.