Unit 20e Alaska

Saleen422

Lil-Rokslider
Going on a diy moose hunt this sept, anyone have any info on the moose pop on Charley river around gelvins air strip in 20e, any info would be appreciated

Very low moos density throughout 20E. There are bulls and some great ones, but don't expect to see many in a 10 day window. I've only hunted in 20E for the past 4 years, not far from the Charley River, so take my observations with a grain of salt.

Trial153

WKR
Caribou hunted in 20e this August, echo what nick said. In the limited time we were there we seen very little moose sign and no moose. Lot of time behind glass, and some of the drainage we looked over looked like decent moose cover. But didnt see any. I am sure they are there however in the area i was in there didn't seem like many.

AKBorn

WKR
Spent 6 days hunting close to the Charley River for caribou in 2019. Shot 2 nice bulls, saw caribou every day, and saw wolves on 2 different occasions in 6 days. Didn't see a single moose, one of the few hunts where we did not see any...

OP
Saleen422

Saleen422

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info, that’s what I was afraid of low moose population, guess we will go with 16b

Russp17

WKR
Going on a diy moose hunt this sept, anyone have any info on the moose pop on Charley river around gelvins air strip in 20e, any info would be appreciated
I floated the charley this year. Saw one moose on the entire float.

OP
Saleen422

Saleen422

Lil-Rokslider
entire area is less than one moose per square mile.........a low percentage of those would be trophy bulls.

wolves and grizzlies are plentiful
We ended up changing areas to 19b suppose to be more moose in that area, any experience with 19b

AlaskaEd

WKR
Sorry, haven’t visited the site in a while. 19 as a whole didn’t have the winter issues the other side of the AK range had, and I haven’t heard a bad thing about it. It’ll be a much more expensive hunt, but you’ll have better success there for sure.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know 19A is still not what it used to be prior to a 25-year bear and wolf predation on moose. I've heard the same for 19 as a whole, but guys are still harvesting moose in pockets.

OP
Saleen422

Saleen422

Lil-Rokslider
I know 19A is still not what it used to be prior to a 25-year bear and wolf predation on moose. I've heard the same for 19 as a whole, but guys are still harvesting moose in pockets.
Thanks for the input, if you had to choose one area what would be your go to unit ?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't answer that ethically because i have financial interests in some but not all of my truthful answers. Frankly, I would never speak into my personal favorite or most likely to harvest areas because I cherish isolation.

OP
Saleen422

Saleen422

Lil-Rokslider
I can't answer that ethically because i have financial interests in some but not all of my truthful answers. Frankly, I would never speak into my personal favorite or most likely to harvest areas because I cherish isolation.
I totally understand, thank you for your input