Unit 23, Johnson 7 Area

First post, thanks in advance. Anyone have any help or guidance to hunting Antelope in Unit 23, Johnson 7 area? I drew a tag there, and that is the only private land available to walk in with that tag. I'd like to hunt the area, but only want to go if there are reasonable odds, driving from CA.

FLS

WKR
The Walk In Area is broken country with more hunters than antelope. I’d look elsewhere. I passed thru there a few times last year on the way to hunt other areas. I saw two antelope. One dead one with a truckload of Wisconsinites surrounding it. And a small buck standing on private with half a dozen hunters waiting on him to screw up and step across the line. I’ve seen a bunch of muley does and one small buck. I wouldn’t waste much time in there. I don’t think a Type 2 tag is valid there.

Last edited:

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Second what FLS said. I've hunted 23 private land and the amount of hunters versus public land has been high the last few years.

This is from Wyoming Game and Fish:

Much of the public land illustrated on maps is not accessible. The large tract of public land in the western portion of the hunt area is not suitable habitat. Although antelope occur here, they do so at low densities. The limited public land receives heavy hunting pressure resulting in high hunter densities. Gaining access to private lands is difficult, with many ranches leased to outfitters. Even for those willing to pay a trespass fee it is often difficult to find ranches that are taking new hunters. Hunting during the first week of the season is very congested so hunters coming later in the season will see less hunting pressure.

Last edited: