Unit 23/Kotzebue

Guys:

This is just a heads up for anyone who are headed up to Kotz this fall. There is a small but vocal group on FB who are very upset with hunters stringing into Kotz this fall. The local population has never been crazy with the influx of out of state hunters who arrive each fall but it is a bit nasty right now..

Words of advice: When you get off of Alaska Air head straight to your flight service and don't tour the town..If you need groceries consider contacting AC and ere-order and have the groceries delivered to your flight service. Most of our guys are having thing like propane which I don't provide delivered. Covid is a real concern in communities that are cut off of the rest of the world like Kotz and there has always been resistance to you coming up any way..

Get in, fly into the Bush, fly home...Not a friendly situation this year..

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country

Attachments

• 520652_orig.jpg
    520652_orig.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 86
  • caribou_orig.jpg
    caribou_orig.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 86

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Walt for the heads-up. I'm certain all villages have a different perspective this year given our global situation. Hoping all sides of the issue the best of luck this year

mcseal2

WKR
I had an acquaintance who lives in Kotzebue forward me a link to a facebook discussion of this. It’s facebook so everyone is outspoken there, but it is definitely negative against hunters coming in.

Thanks for the heads up and advice.

I had an acquaintance who lives in Kotzebue forward me a link to a facebook discussion of this. It’s facebook so everyone is outspoken there, but it is definitely negative against hunters coming in.

Thanks for the heads up and advice.
Don’t wear your camo MCSeal2. Better get some xtratuff boots

mcseal2

WKR
We got our Windburner stove fuel bought from the hardware store and delivered to the transporter. They were running low, just an FYI for anyone going to Kotzebue.

duchntr

WKR
Ive been flying in and out of Kotz all summer and into this fall. Every interaction with locals has been pleasant thus far. I make a point to walk through the whole town during my layovers as well and don't plan on stopping. Being outwardly friendly goes a long way with strangers fwiw. On my last flight in last week nearly every person on the plane had kuiu camo on from head to toe, easy to spot the NR's... quite funny.

• Banned
OP
Northwestalaska
Ive been flying in and out of Kotz all summer and into this fall. Every interaction with locals has been pleasant thus far. I make a point to walk through the whole town during my layovers as well and don't plan on stopping. Being outwardly friendly goes a long way with strangers fwiw. On my last flight in last week nearly every person on the plane had kuiu camo on from head to toe, easy to spot the NR's... quite funny.
We use to call it the Cabell'as Army!

Tags still on! 🤭

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider

Anyone concerned about this??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'm flying with Golden Eagle Outfitters, I spoke with them yesterday and everything is still on as planned. Concerned yes, but my plans have not changed. I'll take Walt's advice and not roam about town and if I do go into a business wear everyday street clothes.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
and don't put it past Native communities to appeal to the Federal Subsistence Board to close non-local and non-resident hunting traffic through popular hubs...in the future if this pandemic reaches them from Outsiders. It's a real threat that frankly I'm surprised didn't make it to the FSB this season.

Agree with Walt...sneak in without camo clothes and sneak out the same way.

etsanger

FNG
I'm flying with Golden Eagle Outfitters, I spoke with them yesterday and everything is still on as planned. Concerned yes, but my plans have not changed. I'll take Walt's advice and not roam about town and if I do go into a business wear everyday street clothes.
When are you going? We're scheduled to fly out with Jared on Saturday the 5th.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
We fly out with him the 17th.

If any of you get the chance once your out of the field I’d appreciate a post or PM with any tips or advice about the situation in town or the hunting. This is my first caribou hunt and first trip to Kotzebue. I’ve been to Alaska before moose hunting once. Thanks.

Kerrbow

Lil-Rokslider
Going to have the AC store deliver groceries to the hangar. Just trying to figure a grocery list for 3 guys ain't very easy.

Elkangle

WKR
Why is it now a "real" threat in those communities but not a "real" threat down here ?? Ima head up tomorrow morning, i will smile and be polite but the last thing ima want to deal with is some bullshit resentment after going through all the damn hoops of getting tested and getting up there just to pay 300 a night hotel fees because i had to move my flight a few days earlier...the locals should be pretty darn thankful im bringing 6 grand through that shifty little town and im doing it after testing negative

Trial153

WKR
Why is it now a "real" threat in those communities but not a "real" threat down here ?? Ima head up tomorrow morning, i will smile and be polite but the last thing ima want to deal with is some bullshit resentment after going through all the damn hoops of getting tested and getting up there just to pay 300 a night hotel fees because i had to move my flight a few days earlier...the locals should be pretty darn thankful im bringing 6 grand through that shifty little town and im doing it after testing negative

Attitudes like this and i can commiserate with the locals that want to keep travelers out. Respect, understanding, and Compliance will get a whole lot more welcome than arrogance and entitlement.

Community spread in isolated locations with limited resources is real threat.

agaugler

FNG
We get to Kotzebue on Monday and are scheduled to fly into the field on Tuesday. I’ve read this order and the updated city and borough orders as well.

I get the feeling from reading some of the comments on the NWAB Facebook page that some folks aren’t too keen on non residents hunting up there, regardless of current events. Things like this tend to open up some old wounds and not everyone sees non resident hunters as the shining ideal of the North American model of conservation. In this isolated corner of the world, one bad interaction can leave a lasting impression.

Our plan: Have our stuff together and as fresh of test results as possible in hand. e polite, keep a low profile, order delivery or room service, take care of last minute work stuff, emails, calls etc. Get a hot shower and a good nights sleep. Be respectful of the resource and the people who call that part of the world home.

Kotzebue ain’t exactly a vacation destination, so I’ll be more than happy to stay out of sight and out of mind.

Elkangle

WKR
Attitudes like this and i can commiserate with the locals that want to keep travelers out. Respect, understanding, and Compliance will get a whole lot more welcome than arrogance and entitlement.

Community spread in isolated locations with limited resources is real threat.

I'm being very compliant and very respectful...my point is in one hand rural towns bad mouth covid and call it a hoax and then when there is an angle all of a sudden its a very real threat and now I'm not welcome ?? Thats what ticks me off, especially after I've been tested negative

Maybe I am entitled...but am I not entitled to follow the law and go about my way ?? I will wear a mask and keep things to a minimum

Zero reason to be pissed at guys like me