Unit 23 Success!!!

We used them this year for caribou out of Kotz, and I was happy with them. If I flew out of Kotz again, I'd use them.

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t ask for anything more-we are considering going with golden eagle. Do you mind sharing your total spend door to door.

Elk830

FNG
Well after 8 days in the bush we’ve made it back to the village. We’ve had an amazing trip with some world class hunting and fishing. Killed our two bulls in the first 3 days then our pilot moved us to a fishing spot. We saw somewhere around 4,000 caribou, caught hundreds of fish 2-15lbs and saw lots of grizzlies and foxes. The arctic char aka “Dolly Varden” fishing was the best fishing I’ve ever seen, we would sometimes go 5 cast in a row with fish over 5lbs. Everything we caught was on ultralights with 4lb line. It was everything we had hoped for and more. Can’t wait to get back home and tell the stories to our families.View attachment 217933View attachment 217934View attachment 217935View attachment 217936View attachment 217937View attachment 217938View attachment 217939
Nice fish!

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn’t ask for anything more-we are considering going with golden eagle. Do you mind sharing your total spend door to door.
Total cost for everything except gear and taxidermy was right at $6500.
CostItem
$3,150​
Golden Eagle Outfitters Air Taxi
$780.00​
Airfare Alaska Airlines
$750​
Cost to move to fishing spot
$224​
2 night stay in Kotz (Sunny Willow AirBnB) split two people
$110​
Hotel in Seattle and Anchorage (layovers) split two people
$60​
1st checked bag 1 there one home
$40​
2nd checked bag guns split between us
$100​
checked meat & cape (Rubbermaid 27 gal tote with 99lbs)
$100​
checked horns
$95​
Garmin subscription
$150​
Food/etc. (approximate)
$230​
Annual hunt/7day fish
$650​
Caribou Locking Tag
$60​
Wolf Locking Tag
$6,499​
Total Hunt Cost (Less gear and taxidermy)

Haro450

FNG
If you dont mind sharing what week did you hunt? Also when did you actually book with Golden Eagle?

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
If you dont mind sharing what week did you hunt? Also when did you actually book with Golden Eagle?
Our hunt dates were Sept. 14-22nd we didn't book the trip until late May of this year. Lots of people said we should book at least a year in advance but we decided not to listen and did it in about 3 1/2 months.

This was our first trip to Alaska and first time flying commercial for a hunt. We also hauled all of our own gear and food with us, literally everything but our stove fuel. I owe a lot of credit to the people on this forum for gear recommendations and figuring out all of the logistics in a few short months. There's not much I would have changed on our trip except take some better fishing gear the dolly varden kicked our a$$ on our ultra lights and 4lb line.

We've already got a moose spot booked with Golden Eagle for 2022 we should have a little more time to prepare for the moose hunt!

Haro450

FNG
Our hunt dates were Sept. 14-22nd we didn't book the trip until late May of this year. Lots of people said we should book at least a year in advance but we decided not to listen and did it in about 3 1/2 months.

This was our first trip to Alaska and first time flying commercial for a hunt. We also hauled all of our own gear and food with us, literally everything but our stove fuel. I owe a lot of credit to the people on this forum for gear recommendations and figuring out all of the logistics in a few short months. There's not much I would have changed on our trip except take some better fishing gear the dolly varden kicked our a$$ on our ultra lights and 4lb line.

We've already got a moose spot booked with Golden Eagle for 2022 we should have a little more time to prepare for the moose hunt!

I didn't realize that golden eagle offered moose hunts in non-resident areas.

Thank you for the reply to my earlier question.

AKBorn

WKR
Moose hunt is out of Delta Junction they have two operations.
If you're flying out of Delta you may be flying with Jim Cummings, Jared's Dad and a great guy. I bet he could tell some stories about AK back in the day, just like VernAK could...your moose hunting country will likely look very different than the Kotz tundra, will be a whole different type of beauty.

One note about booking your bou hunt this year, in May of this year: COVID may have played a part in the slot being available. If I were aspiring AK hunters reading this thread, I would not bank on being able to book a flyout hunt 5-6 months in advance. Just a cautionary note.

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
If you're flying out of Delta you may be flying with Jim Cummings, Jared's Dad and a great guy. I bet he could tell some stories about AK back in the day, just like VernAK could...your moose hunting country will likely look very different than the Kotz tundra, will be a whole different type of beauty.

One note about booking your bou hunt this year, in May of this year: COVID may have played a part in the slot being available. If I were aspiring AK hunters reading this thread, I would not bank on being able to book a flyout hunt 5-6 months in advance. Just a cautionary note.
Yep, we'll be flying with Jim or Jessie. Can't wait to get back up there and see some new country.

I agree on booking in advance we were looking for a 2021 caribou hunt and Jared said "I have a spot open for this Sept. if you guys want it" so we took it knowing we would have to get our ducks in a row in a hurry.

Jboogg

FNG
Total cost for everything except gear and taxidermy was right at $6500.
CostItem
$3,150​
Golden Eagle Outfitters Air Taxi
$780.00​
Airfare Alaska Airlines
$750​
Cost to move to fishing spot
$224​
2 night stay in Kotz (Sunny Willow AirBnB) split two people
$110​
Hotel in Seattle and Anchorage (layovers) split two people
$60​
1st checked bag 1 there one home
$40​
2nd checked bag guns split between us
$100​
checked meat & cape (Rubbermaid 27 gal tote with 99lbs)
$100​
checked horns
$95​
Garmin subscription
$150​
Food/etc. (approximate)
$230​
Annual hunt/7day fish
$650​
Caribou Locking Tag
$60​
Wolf Locking Tag
$6,499​
Total Hunt Cost (Less gear and taxidermy)
This is amazing. Thanks for sharing all the price breakdown. I’m keeping this for my notes as I plan for my 2022 Caribou Hunt. Thanks for sharing everything!

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome hunt! Are the transporter rates per person or were they split between the 2 of Y'ALL? I'm planning a hunt 2022 0r 23. I am trying to get a budget together. Thanks for all of you guys sharing.